Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSL Advantages

Options
  • 07-09-2007 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

Could someone explain to me what the reasons for having an SSL certificate are and what advantages it has over normal protocol transfer...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

encryption .... secure data transmission ...

your credit card number / name / pin / and so on doesn't appear in a load of packets as clear text when its being transmitted ... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

forbairt wrote:
    your credit card number / name / pin / and so on doesn't appear in a load of packets as clear text when its being transmitted ... :)
    Cool thanks, that's the kind of info i was looking for! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

Nikimere > my advice if you are purchasing an SSL certificate:

There are different levels of SSL certificates and some companies charge over €400 for something that retails at €25. I thought this was a bit ridiculous when most of the companies offer exactly the same brand of SSL. Make sure you don't get robbed on SSL certificates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

You don't need to purchase an SSL cert if all you need is the encryption - the advantage of having a cert signed by a known third party is that users won't get a popup asking them if they want to accept the cert. So, if your server is for internal use, you could use a self-signed cert.

Advertisement