Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car to Moped

Options
  • 07-09-2007 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

I'm half thinking of getting a Moped for my new commute. My new job is by Jervis St and I live in Ranelagh. I'm so used to the freedom of the car that I can't bear the thought of going back on the buses. Sad I know.:o

I've never driven one before. One concern is that I'd look like a pure tit @ 6'4 going around on a moped. I would also be buying it in addition to my car. What would the extra costs be. <50cc.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

One concern is that I'd look like a pure tit @ 6'4 going around on a moped.
    :D:D:D:D
    What would the extra costs be. <50cc.

Eardrum replacement every 6 months could be costly.

I feel your pain;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You won't regret it and since your commute is about 4-5km (guessing this) and directly through the city centre, a moped is ideal.

I’d advise to buy a second hand one as you will most likely fall off at some stage and you won’t feel so bad about scratches to the paintwork. Expect to pay €1,000 to €1,500 in a shop for one in good condition.
    You’ll save money buying private but some mopeds are abused by teenagers and in bad condition.

You need gloves (€50), a jacket (€100) and some wet gear (€30).
    A helmet can cost between €50 and €700.
    I recommend the Caberg V2 for around €160.
    Boots and biker pants are optional and maybe you can buy these at a later stage.

Tax is a shockingly high €37. Keep your tax disk in your pocket as some skanger will rob it.:eek:
    Insurance-you’ll pay more being in Dublin. Your no car claims discount means nothing so start with zero discount.
    You don’t say your age but it gets far cheaper when you turn 25.

Aon, Quinn Direct and Carole Nash are the main companies. You can google for contact details.

Good points: You can filter through traffic and use bus lanes on the sly.;)
    Bad points: Very vulnerable if you get hit so practice around a car park on quite roads for a few hours before attempting your commute.

You are fairly tall and a 50cc moped may be underpowered but power isn’t so important in the city centre.
    If you decide to get a motorbike instead I’d recommend the Honda Varadero 125cc. Insurance is still cheap as it’s not high powered and it’s ideal for taller people

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They're dirt cheap to tax, insure and run but tend to need more regular maintenance than a car would. You'll also have to buy appropriate clothing - wet weather gear, helmet, gloves etc.
    Also they're not legal to drive on motorways (because of being <50cc) so if any part of your journey is on a motorway think again.

I don't remember if they still give the M category free on a B car licence, so if you don't have that already you may have to factor in getting a theory test + provisional licence in category M.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I made this change nearly 2 years ago and I wouldnt go back. 30mins tops from Tallaght to Capel St.

Stick with a 50cc because its really all you need unless you weight over 15stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

one thing people have forgotten to mention is a big chain and lock.

the initial cost may seem quite steep as in all in all 2000-2500 but after that, insurance is very cheap, petrol consumption is ridiculously low and time saved when commuting is brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

My only concern would be the pure danger of it, as is said, professionals in A&E called bikers "Donors" personally I'd love one but my missus would never let me get one.

Why not hop on the luas down to the green and a nice healthy walk across the ha'penny bridge (10 mins max?).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

A mate of mine bought one of these and swears by it.
    http://www.madbikesireland.com/product_info.php?cPath=64&products_id=310

It would easily do that commute - no tax/insurance/license/petrol, can do 40kph.
    There are more "normal" ones as well but this looks:cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

you can get mopeds with engine sizes up to 650cc now.

Best of luck with the switch. Do some bike lessons and wear protective gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

ballooba wrote:
    I'm half thinking of getting a Moped for my new commute. My new job is by Jervis St and I live in Ranelagh. I'm so used to the freedom of the car that I can't bear the thought of going back on the buses. Sad I know.:o

I've never driven one before. One concern is that I'd look like a pure tit @ 6'4 going around on a moped. I would also be buying it in addition to my car. What would the extra costs be. <50cc.

Echoing what some posters have already said in here, I've done this myself about 2 years ago. Never had a bike in my entire life. Recently upgraded to a 125, and already ogling provisional-legal 600cc.

I absolutely could never consider going back to commuting by car - even if work offered me a designated CP spot!

The difference in quality of life (from the reclaimed time otherwise lost in tailbacks) is downright amazing!

On a 50cc, costs are entirely negligible, relative to a car - insurance might be a bit steep the first year or two (depending how old you are, of course), figure €400-500 -ish. Road Tax around ther €35 mark, 70+ mpg.

Enquire with your car insurer to see if they'll reduce your premium as well (given that you won't be using your car for commuting, and moreover reduced annual mileage. It worked for me ;)).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

A moped is safe enough and I find car drivers are decent enough as long as you drive with a bit of cop on and respect. A driver can tell the difference between me and some skanger kid ripping around the road.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Made this change a few months back.. best thing I ever did.

Bought a second hand vespa, in very good nick too I might add.. bought the helmet, wet gear, one for summer and one for winter, large lock and chain, tax and insurance.. was on the road for €2100.

By the way, I'm 6'2, weight just under 15 stone and look fine on it.. well I like to think so anyway :)

Saving myself approx 2 hours a day in commuting time.. spending about €8 every 3 weeks on petrol and door to door in 15 mins..

Once you take your time and don't rush things you'll be safe.. just keep your senses about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

You could also try cycling 4-5km isn't much and would probably be quicker than a scooter if you consider the time gearing up etc.

Also bear in mind winter will be nasty for the first few cold mornings. After that you'll be used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Yeah, the rain is a consideration. A major one. :)

Cycling is an option too.

I want to keep it below 50cc so that i can use my car licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I've currently moved out of my family home because I couldn't handle the commute by car on the M50 but you guys have got me thinking whether it would be manageable by moped? Would a 40mile round trip be too long/uncomfortable/dangerous on a moped?

fletch wrote:
    I've currently moved out of my family home because I couldn't handle the commute by car on the M50 but you guys have got me thinking whether it would be manageable by moped? Would a 40mile round trip be too long/uncomfortable/dangerous on a moped?

on a 50cc, that would be a no go. 40 miles everyday would kill it very fast, unless you got a liquid cooled one. on top of that you wouldn't be allowed on the M50 with a 50cc

I'm aware I couldn't use the M50 and would have to go through town, even something like a Honda NSR 75cc? (I could use the M50 on that and the pleasure I would get zipping past all the traffic would be unquantifiable :))

Have you got an A1 licence? The M one won't cover an NSR afaik.

No idea....think I just have a B license

yup, as said, anything over 50cc and you're gonna have to get the proper licence, and if you had that, you'd probably end up getting at least a 125

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

fletch wrote:

A guy I used to work with did Balbriggan to Leopardstown everyday on a 125 scooter (30miles ish). Bit much for something that size to cope with - used to end up in the car with me a couple of days a week due to punctures / belt slipping or any number of other faults. Also had to stop every day for fuel as it's only a small tank. Think a 50cc would suffer doing 150 miles a week.

• Advertisement

Yeah if I was doing that kind of mileage I would get a proper bike. I had a 125cc Virago (slow as feck 4-stroke v-twin) and even on that 30 miles was very tiring. It also took about 10 minutes to get from 50mph to 60mph :)

If I was going back to a bike my first choice would be a Honda Varadero 125, given my A1 licence. Never did do the A test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

stevec wrote:
    A mate of mine bought one of these and swears by it.
    http://www.madbikesireland.com/product_info.php?cPath=64&products_id=310

It would easily do that commute - no tax/insurance/license/petrol, can do 40kph.
    There are more "normal" ones as well but this looks:cool:

anything that is electric or mechanical or a combination of electric or mechanical is required to have road tax

and if you need to have road tax, then you need a vehicle licensing cert, in order to tax it, and it also has to be road worthy, eg numberplates, insurance lights etc etc

only electric wheel chairs and the like , as well as those things that they use for cleaning streets are exempt

FACT

pa990 wrote:
    anything that is electric or mechanical or a combination of electric or mechanical is required to have road tax

I stand corrected.

Revenue class it as any "vehicle" used in a public place or road and specifically have tax rate for electric bikes.

That website also has some electric scooters (mopeds) which they claim are fully road leagal and don't require tax... hmmm.

In theory, kids toys (the little electric cars / jeeps) would also fall into this category and be liable for road tax. The revenue doesn't specify that it has to be used on a road - just in a public place which would include footpaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

stevec wrote:
    I stand corrected.

Revenue class it as any "vehicle" used in a public place or road and specifically have tax rate for electric bikes.

That website also has some electric scooters (mopeds) which they claim are fully road leagal and don't require tax... hmmm.

What is the definition of "road-legal"? Is a pushbike "road legal"?

(For the record, my introduction to 2-wheels commuting was an electric scooter (the full size, 50cc-lookalike variety), and that did indeed need road tax (same as 50cc - €34)).

And with a ton of hindsight, I wouldn't recommend use in winter - batteries discharge with the cold even when you're not using it. Bit of a 'mare for any commute over 10 kms total (5+5), unless you can garage it at both ends (yours + work).

Advertisement