Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what format for online viewing?

• 07-09-2007 11:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

Hi,I ,made a 5 minute video for online and even though in mpeg format it's 100mb.This was no problem downloading to photobucket but the problem is that it shows in clips as the video loads, something that puts me off watching videos.I've watched many videos online,metcalf,youtube,liveleak,some very good quality without the loading problems, what format is best for creating the video in the first place, avi,windows media or something else. My editor is pinnacle 9.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

for online viewing you have the option of real video (crap), windows media format (wmv), quicktime (h264 or mpeg4), or my personal favorite flash video (using the On2 codec rather than the h.263 codec which youtube use)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Code Face

Yeah - FLV or WMV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Do you know are there any freeware progs to make On2 encoded flash vids? I'm starting with a 1.1GB 5 minute AVI, would you have any tips on the best process to put that online? (obviously it'll involve a massive reduction in size!)

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

not sure if they do On2, but there is a free riva encoder or you could try super

Thanks for the tip - I'll check it out tomo.

By the by - has anyone seen ted.com?

Those guys know how to put video on-line!! Any idea what setup they use? Any way to tell from the site?

• Advertisement

Had a quick look at riva but didn't quite figure it out first time. Maybe the next! I pulled eject and just went through a process I found for youtube and google video. I ripped an AVI from the DVD I had (ended up about 45MB) and then uploaded 'em both.

I'd be interested to know what people think of the quality, mostly in terms of playback, but also welcome thoughts on the content/editing etc. I've only watched it on a highspeed smart and eircom line, seemed to play fine.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HETSNjejkYk
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-394900245580014952&hl=en

Is the quality good enough to let it go live?

I tried exporting a smaller AVI from Prem Pro (since I can't upload the 1.2GB master), but it really sucked, all blocky and smudgy.

After playing around with a few formats, the best combination was to export it from Adobe as a WMV (about 40MB) and then upload it to youtube. I doubled the size of the screen in the Embed code and it seems to have worked grand -

http://www.suas.ie/suasinireland_vid.html

I'll learn all that flash stuff at some other stage!

Advertisement