Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new mobo - problems

Options
  • 07-09-2007 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭

ok i got myself a fancy new mobo & case yesterday.. hooked everything up, checking everything was fine as i went. got to the stage where everything (bar my graphics & sound card) was ready to go. i'd use onboard stuff to make sure the system works fine. pressed the "on" button and away we go. everything set to default here..

so, all the fancy lights come on, all the fans fire up and away we go. get all the usual messages and the windows vista loading screen pops up... then the PC restarts and i get an error about the CPU being "changed or unusable" (i think, i'm not at home so can't check the exact error). obviously the CPU (core2duo e6300) isn't borked because it goes into the vista recovery thing and everything runs fine there.

i'm sure it's BIOS settings (which are set to "fail-safe default" atm) as someone has already pointed to that... so any suggestions would be great..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Did you update the bios to the most recent version and then clear the CMOS after ?

Load defaults in bios, make any changes you need & then set HPET to enabled in bios .

Also setting the RAM timings manually is worth a try instead of relying on the SPD.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

8T8 wrote:
    Did you update the bios to the most recent version and then clear the CMOS after ?

Load defaults in bios, make any changes you need & then set HPET to enabled in bios .

Also setting the RAM timings manually is worth a try instead of relying on the SPD.

i'll give that a go, though i've a feeling the BIOS is already at the most recent version (or near enough, since it has the whole "now supports vista" stuff on it).

is there any chance that i could need to re-install vista? it appears this getting-to-boot-screen-but-not-booting issue is common in XP & Vista and it's because the OS doesn't care for change... apparently a reinstall (or repair) is the fix

You could try running the repair option on the Vista DVD when you boot it don't select install and use the startup repair feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

ok it seems (according to forums) that it is indeed the version of the BIOS, which requires an upgrade in order to allow vista to run (hilarious fun it is)... my issue is that i'm getting a "Cannot run DOS! Press a key to retry" when i try to boot from a bootCD. i'm in work now but i'm assuming i'm not burning the disc right (wrong ISO level or something).

i'll give an update here later because the information from google is absolutely dire, so hopefully my problems can help someone else out at a future date

According to here there is some issue with RAM sharing amount if it is set to 512MB though it is supposed to be fixed in later bios versions still try setting it to 256MB and see. Edit: it would appear it was not fixed judging from a post on the F-I90HD owners thread on Anandtech.

Or use the graphics card instead of the integrated graphics.

• Advertisement
Advertisement