Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women can't drive big cars !!!

• 07-09-2007 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

OK, we all know the jokes about women drivers

But I'm tellin ya now women cannot handle driving big cars, they do not pay attention to wats going around them and are at fault for so many accidents

I have had numerous encounters with thick people pulling out in front of me, jamming on the brakes when the car ahead is miles away (obviously not literally), but alot of them seem to be women in big cars that don't seem to have a clue wat they're doing

an example, my next door neighbour drives a Volvo Estate, she has clipped my car twice and demolished one pillar outside the house, the car itself has more scratches and scrapes than any other car I know

Now I'm not saying that all women are like this, far from it, but from my experiences that is wat I have seen it's women in big cars that seem to be the worst.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

The Al Lad wrote:
    Now I'm not saying that all women are like this, far from it

Nice heading then :confused:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i am a woman and i cant drive a small car or a big car cos i am crap at the whole distance thing but strangly enough have never managed to have an accident even though i have been in dangerous siutations by men driving big cars likes mercs and bmw - tailgates, not indicating, shaving while driving pulling out without looking i could go on. one of them even got a me ticket for overtaking me as i was driving over a yellow box leaving me stuck in box getting a fine get a 60 fine and 2 points on my licence.

but i agree total with you woman cant drive :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

there are a fair percentage of us men who cant drive either. Lets not forget the amount of people on the road with full licenses who never did the test!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

The Al Lad wrote:
    OK, we all know the jokes about women drivers

But I'm tellin ya now women cannot handle driving big cars, they do not pay attention to wats going around them and are at fault for so many accidents

I have had numerous encounters with thick people pulling out in front of me, jamming on the brakes when the car ahead is miles away (obviously not literally), but alot of them seem to be women in big cars that don't seem to have a clue wat they're doing

an example, my next door neighbour drives a Volvo Estate, she has clipped my car twice and demolished one pillar outside the house, the car itself has more scratches and scrapes than any other car I know

Now I'm not saying that all women are like this, far from it, but from my experiences that is wat I have seen it's women in big cars that seem to be the worst.
    The "H" key seems to be working, but something is missing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

jaysus terry you must be bored!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Nice heading then :confused:
    OP knows that a generalisation generates more attention than "My neighbour, who is female, is a bad driver". Isn;t that what it's all about - selling your thread?

If wimmins are so bad at driving or more accident prone, why do the insurance companies offer lower premiums to females?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

How long before a woman points to cheaper insurance to suggest that this means they are better/safer drivers.

When this happens, wake me from my slumber so I can provide them with the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

Isn't it proven somewhere or another that womens spacial awareness isn't as good as mens? Or did I dream that up? Anyway, might have something to do with it?

As a woman who can't drive, I agree with OP - in my experience it is always the women just seem to oblivious to their stupid and reckless mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Terry wrote:

You are a god amongst men. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

faceman wrote:
    jaysus terry you must be bored!
    Hextremely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭The Al Lad

Terry wrote:

yeah good man Terry.......good post

The-Rigger wrote:
    How long before a woman points to cheaper insurance to suggest that this means they are better/safer drivers.

When this happens, wake me from my slumber so I can provide them with the answer.

i wish my insurance is €1,000.00

irishbird wrote:
    but i agree total with you woman cant drive :rolleyes:

seems they can't read either,

I clearly said "not all women are like this"

"it seems to be women in big cars"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, I've noticed that women are generally not as great at realising where the side or the front of their cars are.

I will admit to the odd twang myself though, there's none of us perfect.

My girlfriend is terrified now of not going through gaps cause every time she's in the car with me, I'm screaming at some blind female SUV driver, "C'MON MISSUS. YOU COULD FIT A BUS THROUGH THERE!".

yeah, the whole spacial (sp?) awareness really fecks me up, i can never decide if i can fight in through spaces or not and it doesnt really help that i cant see my bonnet, so i havent got a clue where i am - i do try my best though

irishbird wrote:
    yeah, the whole spacial (sp?) awareness really fecks me up, i can never decide if i can fight in through spaces or not and it doesnt really help that i cant see my bonnet, so i havent got a clue where i am - i do try my best though

don't be fighting....thats just road rage :p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

Women can't drive big cars? When did they learn to drive small cars?

biko wrote:
    OP knows that a generalisation generates more attention than "My neighbour, who is female, is a bad driver". Isn;t that what it's all about - selling your thread?

If wimmins are so bad at driving or more accident prone, why do the insurance companies offer lower premiums to females?

ah ok, I expected it to be someone with a vagina that asked that question,

And now I shall give you the accurate but for reason to that question for the ages:

(For those who would rather not know (such as women) I shall put it in spoilers)
    The reason women get cheaper insurance than men is that they, on average drive less. Mens insurance is a little bit cheaper on average per mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

The-Rigger wrote:

And now I shall give you the accurate but for reason to that question for the ages:

(For those who would rather not know (such as women) I shall put it in spoilers)
    The reason women get cheaper insurance than men is that they, on average drive less. Mens insurance is a little bit cheaper on average per mile.
    I'd say another reason would be that the majority of "one car" houses, the car/insurance is going to be in the man's name, so if there is a crash, it's going to be a man claiming, regardless of who crashed.

The-Rigger wrote:
    Insurance company data also suggests that women are involved in more incidents per mile, but they tend to be slow moving bumps or other knocks. Many of these types of incidents would also go unreported.
    Men on the other hand tend to hammer the other vehicle out of it, resulting in a net of bigger bills and bigger injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

The-Rigger wrote:

not sure that is true, have you any evidence to back that up?

My understanding was that women are slightly more likely to be involved in low speed accidents that don't cause big claims and men are much more likely to be involved in high speed accidents resulting in deaths and serious injuries.

However I have no facts to back me up either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

I drive 4 wheel drive at work, as do 3 other girls and one male.
    We drive just as good as he does. there is no difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

I agree for the most part but IMO 80% of men are just as bad. I was chatting my BF the other day while driving along and all of a sudden theres this lad in a car pulling a suicide manouver in the middle of the main road with no hazards or any form of warning!

Now i consider myself a pretty good driver (7 years on the road and not a scrape - thouch wood), im always alert and thinking of what im doing (ie driving and not putting on lippie) so it was no major deal as i had seen him in time, so i slowed down and let him finish...

Anyway as i passed guess what type of driver it was (and personally i think these are a meance on the road) a 60-70 year old man! They are fit for ANYTHING!! Damo said to me 'thats just like something my oul lad would do' and i had to agree that my father would be well fit for the same sort of caper!

IMO, Driving in general in this country is farcical and every person that does not fully know and understand the rules of the roads is at fault, man, woman or oap!
    Driving in the UK is a pleasure, they know what they should be doing and are very courtious to each other (i know its hard to be courtious in ireland because 9 times out of 10 if you let someone pull out/stitch lanes in front of you they end up hogging the road and holding you up - that drives me INSANE...

copacetic wrote:
    not sure that is true, have you any evidence to back that up?

My understanding was that women are slightly more likely to be involved in low speed accidents that don't cause big claims and men are much more likely to be involved in high speed accidents resulting in deaths and serious injuries.

However I have no facts to back me up either.

Indeed, it seems the insurance companies would rather keep very quiet with regard to how they calculate things.

It seems highly likely to me though, is anyone going to argue that on average men drive more than women? (on average, please don't regale us with stories
    of your sisters cousins friend who drives big rigs across 4 continents 365 days a year, etc, or that you drive more than your bf, and so does your friend, etc).

If for example, hypothetically speaking:

Men drive 10,000 miles per year
    Women drive 6,500 miles per year

Would it make sense to charge men the same as women for the service/risk?

The-Rigger wrote:

In America each insurance appliaction is assessed and priced based on the amount of milage you put up in a year... So you could be right about that

The-Rigger wrote:

well, we get charged the same about of money for road tax. i have a 1.9 litre car and my tax is stupidly high, i do about 8,000 miles a year, and some of my friends are sales reps who would drive more then me and their tax is cheaper cos their engine size is smaller. none of it makes any sense whatsoever. my brothers insurance is lower then mine cos he is in the army so what that doesnt mean anything

irishbird wrote:
    well, we get charged the same about of money for road tax. i have a 1.9 litre car

Well, I wouldn't look for logic in most of what the government does, they seem to think it's reasonable to tax us for having a credit card or bank card :eek:
    irishbird wrote:
    none of it makes any sense whatsoever. my brothers insurance is lower then mine cos he is in the army so what that doesnt mean anything

True, it all appears very random to the customers as to how the come up with their figures, they don't seem to want to let on either.

Also just to add, my spacial awareness is better than most men... I could be an exception to the rule though :)
    Iv driven a 45ft articulated truck on a few occasions and managed to not reverse into or bump anything

never mind about taxes and insurance the point is

WOMEN CAN'T DRIVE BIG CARS !!!

• Advertisement

The Al Lad wrote:

Do Jeeps count?

The Al Lad wrote:

I think i have already proved that comment to be untrue in its entirety.

Theres an awful lot of 'wimmen bashing' related Trolling going on today but thankfully i seem to be among intelligent female forms that dont fall fowl of the bait... :rolleyes:

Femmy wrote:
    Do Jeeps count?

Are you serious..........they're the bloody worst

Women in Jeeps = MILF with lots of the old mans money or Ugly farmer

still can't drive

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm with you Bendihorse, the chauvenism around here is nauseating.
    Both my daughters drive and so do I,and we'd leave many men in the shade with our spatial awareness when it comes to parking etc.
    I admit though that some women are not the best but then some men have no spatial awareness either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The Al Lad wrote:
    Are you serious..........they're the bloody worst

Women in Jeeps = MILF with lots of the old mans money or Ugly farmer

still can't drive

Whilst Al prefers to travel on the Bitter Bus, lol :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Femmy wrote:
    Do Jeeps count?
    Only the technical hitch that no-one in a jeep, man/woman/child/transexual seems to be able to drive them safely!

• Advertisement

Like i already said, i drive a 4-wheel drive for work and i love driving it, and can drive it..very well actually, along with my 3 female co workers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

On average Women drive slower than men any crashes they have (like backing into other cars, paying more attention to the person their talking to in the passenger seat than the road, rolling over stationary objects) don't do allot of damage. Men's crashes usually right off the car their in, maybe another car and more than likely a wall or two. I'd agree that's why they have lower insurance.

It's infuriating to be stuck behind an extremely slow bad driver. The type that turn the car whichever way they look. When you go to pass them out they look in their mirror and nearly run you off the road. Yet there the same ones that will complain that your driving to fast.

Most women can't drive a shopping trolly, let alone an SUV.

Seriously, it's a combination of a lack of spatial awareness, but more so a serious lack of awareness or care generally for anything going on outside of their own bubble

Even going to Dunnes to get some shopping requires me to switch on my super spatial hyper woman awareness to avoid getting hit by women pushing shopping trolleys.

They don't look where they are pushing the trolly, they don't care.

Trolleys just like buggies, they will push them around a corner while looking at the products in the isle without looking where they are pushing their trolley to see what or who is around it.

Ditto umbrella's, I hate rainy days in the city, I would of had my eye taken out long ago if I wasn't so wary of it, I put my hand up to my face to block impending umbrella spikes in the eye, now while there are some men that are guilty of this too, their numbers are far less.

Also the men are generally taller, the women are generally shorter, this for some reason doesn't increase there awareness of people around them, despite the fact that their umbrella's are now at prime male eye level.

Now I will hear the usual bunch of 'oh but not me, or my friends' sh1te that I expected, if this is not you, you are an exception, not the average.
    I'll also probably here from some that I am chauvinistic (Hi Dizzy!), but it's not the case, I like women, women are wonderful, they have many fantastic qualities, however this
    is a difference between the sexes and an an element to woman that I dislike.

The-Rigger wrote:
    Seriously, it's a combination of a lack of spatial awareness, but more so a serious lack of awareness or care generally for anything going on outside of their own bubble

Even going to Dunnes to get some shopping requires me to switch on my super spatial hyper woman awareness to avoid getting hit by women pushing shopping trolleys.

Trolleys just like buggies, they will push them around a corner while looking at the products in the isle without looking where they are pushing their trolley to see what or who is around it.
    There was a theory flying around that women in general have a less established sense of cause and effect than men have, which causes them to be a little less aware of external elements and with a tendancy for less foresight (in physical terms) than men have.

The theory tried to link it back to childhood play patterns - boys tend to play at more physical things, jumping off walls etc, which leads to more pain/injuries and thus leads to a better understanding of physical boundaries and a more mature sense of consequence. Girls, being a (moderately) more sedate bunch, don't get the same experience of, "If I'm not prepared, this will happen" and so grow up with less experience of the physical interaction between physical objects and therefore are less adept at pre-empting, controlling or predicting these interactions.

I'm not saying it's true, but it's an interesting take which challenges the traditional, "Men are naturaly better at X" stance.

To put it in a simpler way - if you took a girl and a boy from age six, and had them both throw the same number of baseballs every day until they were 18, is there any reason why they wouldn't both be roughly the same in skill (ignoring any physical traits of the two)? Are women crap at throwing stuff, purely because they don't do as much of it growing up as men do?

Seamus,
    I think you have a point. I was a tomboy and raised two tomboys who did as much physical stuff as boys growing up and I'm convinced this is partly why we have good spatial awareness.
    There's no closing our eyes and screaming around here when we see something oncoming :cool:

Rigger - I get your point too but I think the trolley and buggy thing is more a case of bad manners and 'attitude'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

seamus wrote:
    There was a theory flying around that women in general have a less established sense of cause and effect than men have, which causes them to be a little less aware of external elements and with a tendancy for less foresight (in physical terms) than men have.

The theory tried to link it back to childhood play patterns - boys tend to play at more physical things, jumping off walls etc, which leads to more pain/injuries and thus leads to a better understanding of physical boundaries and a more mature sense of consequence. Girls, being a (moderately) more sedate bunch, don't get the same experience of, "If I'm not prepared, this will happen" and so grow up with less experience of the physical interaction between physical objects and therefore are less adept at pre-empting, controlling or predicting these interactions.

I'm not saying it's true, but it's an interesting take which challenges the traditional, "Men are naturaly better at X" stance.

To put it in a simpler way - if you took a girl and a boy from age six, and had them both throw the same number of baseballs every day until they were 18, is there any reason why they wouldn't both be roughly the same in skill (ignoring any physical traits of the two)? Are women crap at throwing stuff, purely because they don't do as much of it growing up as men do?
    I'd be entirely in agreement with that theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

seamus wrote:

makes sense and explains a lot.

I am also a pure tomboy and took part in a lot of 'boyish' related outdoor activities when i was a kid so im sure there is a link... Boys tend to fend for themselves growing up while girls get mothered and are not let learn by doing and fcuking up :)

Bendihorse wrote:
    I am also a pure tomboy and took part in a lot of 'boyish' related outdoor activities when i was a kid so im sure there is a link... Boys tend to fend for themselves growing up while girls get mothered and are not let learn by doing and fcuking up :)

and wat the fcuk has this got to do with women driving big cars !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

women can't piss whilst standing upright, there's a lot of things they can't do, ditto for men.

what's your point exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

The-Rigger wrote:
    Most women can't drive a shopping trolly, let alone an SUV.

Ditto umbrella's, I hate rainy days in the city, I would of had my eye taken out long ago if I wasn't so wary of it, I put my hand up to my face to block impending umbrella spikes in the eye, now while there are some men that are guilty of this too, their numbers are far less.

Also the men are generally taller, the women are generally shorter, this for some reason doesn't increase there awareness of people around them, despite the fact that their umbrella's are now at prime male eye level.

Now I will hear the usual bunch of 'oh but not me, or my friends' sh1te that I expected, if this is not you, you are an exception, not the average.
    I'll also probably here from some that I am chauvinistic (Hi Dizzy!), but it's not the case, I like women, women are wonderful, they have many fantastic qualities, however this
    is a difference between the sexes and an an element to woman that I dislike.

I find myself agreeing with a lot of what The-Rigger says.
    It may be unpopular/unPC to say women have poorer spatial awareness than men but i'm fairly sure it's true.

As for the tendency to distraction i can't comment confidently on this.
    But i'm fairly sure poorer spatial awareness by itself translates into less skillful driving.

Importantly what he's saying is ON AVERAGE this is the case (for the benefit of the PC brigade i suspect).
    Obviously doesn't apply to every woman.

On the other hand men's aggressiveness and tendency to take risks on the road is something that leads to more serious accidents.
    This is something women are less guilty of i'm sure.

So in conclusion ON AVERAGE women get involved in fender benders, men have high-speed accidents (ON AVERAGE again is for the benefit of the pc brigade reading).

Hence women are safer drivers, their insurance premiums are less but it doesn't mean they are as skilful/spatially aware as men.

(And again for the benefit of the PC brigade yes women are better/more skilful than men at plenty of other things.. all these differences might actually be due to sex difference :eek: shock horror).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

No, it is due to lower testosterone levels causing differences in muscular and cerebral development. Women's shoulders are less well adapted to throwing because they did not hunt - throwing spears and stones and using slings was a male activity.

Your baseball analogy makes little sense: professional male and female shot putters, discus throwers presumably train with similar devotion. The men throw about double the weight, but get the same distance.

Coming back to the insurance point: why stop at age and sex for evaluating risk? How about IQ tests - I'm sure the stupid are more likely to crash. Or even race? How about a Nigerian heading in to Hibernian and being told, sorry, you blacks are a higher risk for us, that'll be €100 extra then. Somehow I don't think that would happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Bendihorse wrote:

I've said that(or something along the same lines) so many times in arguments like this and been shot down for it. It's refreshing to hear a girl say it!

Advertisement