Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My House got robbed

• 07-09-2007 1:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

They only got one thing, a laptop, insurence covers it yada yada..

Anyway heres the thing, if i had of been there and cought there person i nthe act what could i of actually done? because my first reaction would be to completly disregard this nations laws and smash him over the head with my trusty mace but as far as i know i would get jailed for that, same if you beat him into a coma so what do you do?

Do you punch him once and then ask him to stop and if he doesent do you punch him again? i mean what is our nations offical guidelines about dealing with breaking and entering? because as far as i know if someone breaks into my house my hands are legaly tied as to what i can do to defend myself and my property.

I know we have had this disucssion before but i have to bring it up again because its been a while, anyway What would you all do? Would you do what the law says? dont hurt the person who is trying to steal would you stay safe somewhere and ring the gardai knowing well they will take too long and never regain your property?

Or would you yourself break the law and use all necessary force to protect yourself and your property?

Someone told me that the best thing to do would be to beat the person to within a inch of there life, put them in your car and then **** them out up the mountins somewhere, my fear would be that person wanting revenge and if things where reaching the level where that person would be unconcious then its reached the level where revenge is a factor and that would be my concern with only wounding someone, people think a wounding a enemy is a good thing but its actually not, i know in war its good because if you wound someone you take out 2 or 3 men because it takes two to move the wounded man back so your actually taking down 3 people with one shot instea dof killing one person with one shot,

but this is different, its not war so if you wound the person chances are they would want revenge of some sort?

Hmmm ive started to ramble, my main point/question is really what would you do if someone was trying to rob your house and you where there?

Also please mention if you do or dont keep a weapon of some description within arms reach of your bed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Archeron

If I caught them in the act of stealing, then I would disable them in the most efficient way I could that would not cause them any long term damage, and then call the cops.
    If there was any inclination that my family was in direct danger, then I would not hesitate to kill them, but only if nessecary to protect my family.
    I would rather not have the death of any person on my mind for life.

I dont keep "weapons" to hand as such, but I do keep various pieces of sports equipment such as baseball bat and golf clubs in my room.
    Sorry to hear you got robbed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭babyguinnessfan

The house I was sharing with 2 guys got broken into one night. Only one of the guys was there (I'm a girl).
    The guy that broke in was off his head on whatever and was trying to steal my crappy DVD player and a few DVDs. Anyway, while I was ringing 999 my housemate went downstairs and proceeded to launch into him, we're talking ramming your man into the kitchen door etc. but the guy on drugs would just keep on gettin back up! In hindsight I'm sorry I didn't go down to do the same but was too scared.
    Anyway, my housemate left him go when the dude said he was going to knife him if he followed him out of the house...not worth it for DVDs!
    The guards eventually turned up about 10 mins later and were impressed that my housemate had kicked the s*it out of him and never once was there a question of him having done the wrong thing.
    (P.S. the guy was caught a week later and got a jail sentence for other burglaries as well:D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

User45701 wrote:
    My House got robbed
    I hope the bastards bring it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually, a teacher said to me before that the best thing you can do is kill them (preferably with a single blow). It's your word against his and as far as you were concerned, the guy had a knife and said he was going to kill you.

There's still a promise of actual legislation to deal with this, but in court the tradition has always been that if you do confront an intruder, the first thing you must do is attempt to flee. If you can't or you fail, then you are allowed to use "proportionate" force to defend yourself. Using any force above what is necessary is seen as exacting revenge, which you are not allowed to do.

If you're brave, you can also carry out a citizen's arrest, which allows you to use restraint to hold the guy until the Gardai arrive*. That doesn't mean that you can beat the crap out of him, but knocking him down and sitting on him would be acceptable.

*That is assuming that burglarly carries a prision sentence of five years or more

seamus wrote:

There's still a promise of actual legislation to deal with this, but in court the tradition has always been that if you do confront an intruder, the first thing you must do is attempt to flee. If you can't or you fail, then you are allowed to use "proportionate" force to defend yourself. Using any force above what is necessary is seen as exacting revenge, which you are not allowed to do.
    Or if it's a traveller you can shoot them in the back, then beat them with a stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

Friend of my old man's caught some skobie in his gaff in the middle of the night.

Proceeded to catch him and beat the proverbial seven shades of shite out of him.

He dragged him out the back and put him lying, out cold, in his back garden. Then he went to the shed, bust the lock on the door, got out his extension ladder and placed it underneath his bathroom window.

Then he went back inside, locked up and called the cops telling them he woke upon hearing a loud band outside and looked out to see his extension ladder under his bathroom window and some young lad lying on the ground beside it. Figured he had broken into his shed to get the ladder and then fell off it as he was climbing it.

Guards came, saw the guy, figured maybe his injuries weren't consistent with falling off a ladder and asked da's mate (presumably with a raised eyebrow) if he was sure he had just fallen off a ladder.

He answered as far as he knew.. maybe he was in a fight earlier.

Cops said "Right so" - and he never heard any more about it after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

seamus wrote:
    If you're brave, you can also carry out a citizen's arrest, which allows you to use restraint to hold the guy until the Gardai arrive*. That doesn't mean that you can beat the crap out of him, but knocking him down and sitting on him would be acceptable.

hmmm I was actually thinking about this recently.

Is it not the case that if you hold someone against their will, then it's akin to false imprisonment and you can be done for it? Or does that not count if the person you're holding is suspected (by you?) of commiting a crime?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I would "immobilize" (spelling?) the intruder by breaking an arm leg the restrain the wounded somehow till the police came.

If thats against the law, then the law is fúcking retarded. No way would I "flee" from my own fúcking house, I would beat him in such a way that he wasn't able to leave/ cause further threat, and then phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jeffeld

First, sorry to hear about the robbery. We've been burgled more times than I care to remember. The second time with very tragic consequences.

It's natural to feel angry and to want to take some sort of violent revenge. I've lost count of the number of times I've fantasized about the things to do to anyone I caught. But in the end I just end up feeling frustrated and aggressive.

In the end though, if faced with it the reality of a confrontation, think I would just let them go.

Why?

Because these scum have friends and I have no doubt that they would come back for seconds, and I just couldn't put my wife and kids in that danger to satisfy my "needs".

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭iceman777

Sorry about your burglary as I know what it's like as in my case they got away with about €3000 worth of electrial equipment!!

If you are in a position to tackle the burglar, whether it is out of fear, bravery, anger or your sheer size I would have absolutely no hesitation in destroying them physically and I would never feel regret for doing it as I am protecting me, my property and possessions that I worked hard to buy.

I completely agree with kicking the crap out of a burglar for the following reasons:
    1. They have invaded my personal security where I am supposed to feel safe and secure and they have teh audacity to challenge that - for this alone they should be jailed
    2. They may possibly harm me
    3. They are trying to steal my possessions
    4. They are trespassing

I think the law is completely wrong in this case and I have been told by a guard that if it ever happens and you catch the burglar, do what you like, drag him outside to the street, call the guards and tell the guards that you found a person lying in the street when you came home. No guard will question you as long as you hide your bloody fists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I would grab the nearest heavy object or something that could be used as a weapon and hit them with it. I wouldn't be battering him to within an inch of his life, but I also wouldn't be thinking about any future prosecutions.

My brother had a bit of trouble with someone trying to break into his car once. The cops told him that if he had caught him he should've kicked the **** out of the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Never been robbed have we? :mad:

I was broken into twice. Both times involved the guy scaling up the balconies and climbing in my open window on the third floor, not an easy climb. We had left the windows open during the summer for years without any problem. Then we were robbed and the second time about a month later my flatmate forgot to close the window and we were robbed again. When that guy died a few months back after falling off a building he was robbing I had very mixed emotions about it, not sure that I felt too bad for him.

In fairness the guards seem reasonably flexible if you take some revenge on your would be robber or if you had 'no choice' but to fight the guy off. A guy who worked with my dad caught a guy trying to steal his car so he beat the ****e out of the guy and just dragged him into the street. The cops turned up at his door with the guy saying the guy had accused him of beating him up. He just said he'd never seen the guy before and that was that, he was also very surprised that someone had tried to break into his car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Never happened to me, but I can imagine the law of the land would be the last thing on my mind if someone knacker is wandering around my gaf in the middle of the night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I think you're allowed knock the crap out of them if they are upstairs, as its a threat to your safety. If they just stay downstairs you can't run down and kill them.
    It's a stupid law, but hey it's Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

DaveMcG wrote:
    hmmm I was actually thinking about this recently.

Is it not the case that if you hold someone against their will, then it's akin to false imprisonment and you can be done for it? Or does that not count if the person you're holding is suspected (by you?) of commiting a crime?
    As I say, there are certain caveats to it - the crime in itself has to carry a custodial sentence of five years or more and yes you do leave yourself open to being sued for false arrest - it would be for a judge to decide whether your actions were warranted. Even if the guy ends up being innocent, provided you had good reason to suspect the guy (standing in your hallway is reasonable suspicion), you'd be fine.
    So you want to be pretty sure that the guy committed the crime (or you had good reason to believe so), and that it's a pretty serious crime.

In fact the Gardai tend to discourage citizens arrests for this reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Kill him, place kitchen knife in his hand after running said kitchen knife through a part of my clothing consistent with an attempt to stab me and claim self defence...

Doubt I'm that brave in real life though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

DesF wrote:
    Or if it's a traveller you can shoot them in the back, then beat them with a stick.

If Padraid Nally can do it why cant we??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

DesF wrote:

Ah yes... the McNally defense. Nice to see the law has covered every possible scenario. ^_^.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I don't see why you'd even want to get the Guards involved. If you killed a burglar, the easiest thing to do would just stick him in the boot and take him up the Wicklow mountains. Bury him in some wooded area.

Even if they find him, they're never going to trace it back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

my granny's house was broken into while she was in the sitting room, luckily the second they saw her they ran, the gaurds came out and said they would be in touch, that was last febuary. she now has a personal alarm and a nice big axe in case anything else happens

she now has a personal alarm and a nice big axe in case anything else happens

your granny plays guitar, that's class. I doubt it would stop burglars though :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

I don't see why you'd even want to get the Guards involved. If you killed a burglar, the easiest thing to do would just stick him in the boot and take him up the Wicklow mountains. Bury him in some wooded area.

Personal Experience?

Own a Spade, A roll of black bags and a Sack of lime do we?

o.O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

OR

You could kill him, bury the body and then claim you left him at home while you and your friends went out for a meal. You came back home and he was gone and that somebody must have abducted him. Then proceed to launch an international 'Bring Back Skobie' campaign with the help of the British Media.

Archimedes wrote:
    OR

You could kill him, bury the body and then claim you left him at home while you and your friends went out for a meal. You came back home and he was gone and that somebody must have abducted him. Then proceed to launch an international 'Bring Back Skobie' campaign with the help of the British Media.
    +rep

Archimedes wrote:
    OR

Post of the week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭The Al Lad

DesF wrote:
    I hope the bastards bring it back.

PMSL :p

I caught 2 guys breaking into my next door neighbours taxi about 2 years ago, chased and caught one on them and kicked im so many times in the head/face that my foot swelled up,

when the guards arrived we said the guy had a bad fall off a fence he was trying to escape over,

they brought him away and we never heard from them again.

saying that I buy robbed goods all the time :D (JOKE)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Archeron

Vegeta wrote:
    your granny plays guitar, that's class. I doubt it would stop burglars though :p

Maybe she's really really bad.

How far would anyone actually chase a burglar? My dad came across a burglar yonks ago, and came running in screaming at him with a machete. Needless to say, the scumbag legged it but my dad ran after him for about ten minutes. I though that was a bit nutty though, because I always reckon that type of scum travel in packs, and you never know how many might be around the corner.
    Luckily, he lost the scumbag so he didnt have to find out.

Advertisement