Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro Quals this weekend

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Heskey heads down to Owen.

On the half volley, into the top corner.

Fookin' screamer.

Is it 2002?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

What's the deal with Hamilton saying "Baros" with the big deep Russian voice? :rolleyes:

^^Is that in the right thread?

Guess who scores for NI to make it 1-1.

DesF wrote:
    ^^Is that in the right thread?
    Haha. No!!

BaZmO* wrote:
    Haha. No!!
    :)

Half time in Wemberley.

2-0 England, but Russia should have one, it wasn't handball.

Nice open game, Russia looking good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Russia looking good? Only when they get the chance! England playing like its 1966! ;)

Heskey-Owen looking like Munich 2001. Gareth Barry has been particuarly exellent. Lampard should never play in white again short of an injury crisis.

Mike.

Ferdinand makes it three.

Well done England.

France 0 - 1 Scotland

Hoooots mon!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,344 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Magnificent win for Scotland. Who would have thought that the Scots would top the group containing France & Italy after 9 games!!

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    France 0 - 1 Scotland

Hoooots mon!

Mike.

Result?

Excellent stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

ziggy67 wrote:
    Cannae believe that :eek:

Probably the Sweaty Socks best ever result

Nah it isnt.... we beat them in Paris 57 years ago too...

England.

What is McClaren going to do now, when Lamps is fit again, will he be able to justifiably drop Barry?

What about Heskey, he's been brilliant in the two games?

I think Wright-Phillips has done enough in the to games to be a permanent replacement for Becks too, and they finally have an answer to the left side of misfield problem in Joe Cole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think it's really interesting. I think Becks might get dropped for SWP, although to be honest, if he keeps playing he'll get his 100 caps.
    Rooney will return, no doubt about it. Heskey might have done well, but there's no way McClaren will not put him in.
    The real issue is whether or not Barry will get dropped for Hargreaves, as I think Lampard has actually lost his England place now.
    Also, does Neville come back in or do you keep Richards.

It's a real test of a manager now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

It remains to be seen. What we do know is that Lampard and Gerrard do not work in the same midfield. Their similar players (though not the same type of players) Imo, McClaren should make a big decision and drop Lampard, Gerrard offers more to England's midfield, plus I think Lampard has never been able to re-create the form he's shown for Chelsea in an England shirt.

Beckham's replacementhas to be SWP. He's shown he's a quality player this season for both club and country. Beckham's fitness is the main worry, all that travelling and not really playing at the level of his team-mates. That said he could be useful as a sub, his delivery is unquestioned and he's still a danger from set-pieces...the kind of dleivery that could get you a goal...

The midfield vs Russia and Israel had balance...the first time I saw a balanced England midfield in about a decade. But what struck me about the side was jhow comfortable they looked: composed, confident and assured. They controlled both matches, dominated the other sides in a workmanlike and professional manner. They weren't chasing round the pitch like headless chickens...part of the reason must be that they've learnt lessons from the WC, essentially it's the same group of players

As for Heskey, I think he suited the style that was required against both sides and was troublesome for both defences. You have to admire McClaren's judgement on this one, especially seeing as Heskey hadn't played for England since the Euros in 04. Still think Rooney will assume his place alongside Owen though

• Advertisement

Just after I wrote that last post I read this on the Guardian website

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/09/12/ma_blog_on_england.html

Basically it says that football isn't about the 11 best players, but the best team.

Why stick Rooney in when it hasn't been working? Because Heskey isn't as 'sexy' as him? Give me a break here, Heskey did more than Rooney did in his last two international games, and should retain his place on merit.

Heskey and Owen obviously work really well as a partnership, and that is what is needed. No point having Owen in the team if he's not getting service, and results speak for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I think by the time Beckham is fit again he'll have trouble uprooting SWP, especially if SWP is still playing regularly for Chelsea. The midfield situation is interesting, Barry has played terrifically with Gerrard so it'll be a tough call for McClaren with Hargreaves and Lampard back. Up front, Heskey has done well but I'd expect Rooney to go straight back in - although Heskey has surely cemented his place in the EC squad.

McClaren has a lot of decisions to make all over the pitch - as PHB said, when Neville comes back will he drop Richards, who's been excellent for club and country. There's also the Robinson vs James debate (I didn't see last night's game so I don't know if Robinson had much to do) so plenty of food for thought for him.

True but it depends on the opposition. Rooney is world class, Heskey did a job against defences that couldn't handle physicality. Rooney would cause more problems for any defence that Heskey ever would...and iirc Rooney did have a good partnership with Owen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

DesF wrote:
    Just after I wrote that last post I read this on the Guardian website

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/09/12/ma_blog_on_england.html

Basically it says that football isn't about the 11 best players, but the best team.

Why stick Rooney in when it hasn't been working? Because Heskey isn't as 'sexy' as him? Give me a break here, Heskey did more than Rooney did in his last two international games, and should retain his place on merit.

Heskey and Owen obviously work really well as a partnership, and that is what is needed. No point having Owen in the team if he's not getting service, and results speak for themselves.
    It's a fair point, but do you really see McClaren doing it? It'd take bottle, I'm sure he'd be under a lot of pressure to play Rooney and as soon as one result went against him, he'd be hung for not playing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

THe reason that England didn't work with Rooney in it was not because of the Rooney Owen partnership, it was because of the midfield. The real questions are in midfield, and for the last 5-6 years it has had no balance or shape. Rooney and Owen are a very good partnership, a player who makes runs off the back, and a player who drops deep.

• Advertisement

SWP ----Stevie G---GB---JCole

Rooney
    Owen

Is that what you mean?

Or would you have Hargreaves in instead of Barry?

Who would the opposition prefer to see on the teamsheet - Rooney or Heskey? Rooney is proven class, he's a nuisance for any defender and has a great record for England...Heskey played very well, no doubt...the only thing that would concern me about Rooney is that if he does return to the side will he become a talisman for them, because he's essenitally carried the team over the past few seasons, last night England worked as a team, so it will be interesting to see what McClaren does...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Owen will score more goals playing with Heskey type striker than he ever will playing with Rooney.

Heskey should keep his place on merit for the time being, and then when England have a couple of bad games (which they always do) give Rooney a chance to earn his place back or maybe Owens place if Heskeys performances merit his place.

Gerrard is Englands Number 1, between Hargreaves,Lampard and Barry for the other spot.

At least thats the way it should work imo, knowing England, Gerrard and Lampard, Rooney and Owen will all start the next match

Heskey should keep his place on merit for the time being, and then when England have a couple of bad games (which they always do) give Rooney a chance to earn his place back or maybe Owens place if Heskeys performances merit his place.
    Agreed. Giles was making a good point last night about the same thing. He was saying that he can't understand why managers play players that perform well in training. You should always play those who have played well in the previous match and when they start to play bad they should be dropped.....like McGeady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

That's the best England team in a long time , sure they could play a much better pick of 11 individual players but the reason they haven't had as much success as they probably should is down to doing that(at least it's a major reason) .

Richards should retain his place , Barry should retain his place and Heskey should retain his place(no matter how good Rooney can be) .

Good posts, trouble is Lampard plays for Chelsea (big club) and Rooney plays for Man Utd (big club) and that alone could be enough to influence McClaren not to mention the FA.

Here's hoping logic not star-power/money wins the day.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

I agree with what was said about Rooney not operating well before because of the midfield. I think with Rooney dropping deep, Barry's sensible passing game and Gerrard pushing forwards you have the makings of a very dangerous and fluid England attack.

Then you have the wide game with Richards and SWP linking up well and Cole's natural attacking game. For once in a long while (Being English!) I have some real hope for the potential of a team, rather than a few good players saving England's bacon!

On an end note I thought Robinson had a good game against Russia - he was only sporadically tested which is often tougher for a keeper and he dealt well with it. I say keep him playing for now.

Advertisement