Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to get into target shooting, I need some advice.

Options
  • 07-09-2007 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all, first post here.
    Currently (and for the foreseeable future) I live in Dublin city center and I would like to take up target shooting as a hobby. Because of where I live joining some sort of gun club or shooting range is essential (I assume). Can anyone recommend a good club near the city and would such a place have a secure area where one could store their firearm?

Note I have quite limited means financially. What is a good and inexpensive but reliable gun for a beginner. Would I be right in thinking pistols are less expensive than rifles and what about license costs? I have been browsing the board and I see there is a lot of information floating around on the legislation but for someone who is not used to reading the legal jargon it can get quite confusing.

Any help is appreciated.

edit: Oh and I'm a lefty, so ambidextrous guns need only apply ;)

Fox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If you're just starting off, and you have limited means, air pistol is probably the best fit if you were to buy your own kit - but frankly, you'd be silly to buy before you shoot for a few months using club equipment. So just show up and use the club gear to begin with would be my advice there.

Are you by any chance an alumni or student in UCD? If so, UCD Rifle Club is probably your best shot. (If you're in TCD, same applies with the Dublin University Rifle Club). There are a few other clubs based in Dublin, but all have their ranges outside the city. There are a few facilities near the city like Courtlough which are pretty much geared up towards new shooters; I'm sure the various clubs will all post here to tell you why they're the best to start with :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 FMrFox

I spent basically my entire childhood firing air pistols and rifles (and air soft and BB guns) which is probably where my interest comes from. Unfortunately no, I'm not in UCD or TCD though I am (once again :( ) a student.

I wasn't sure if clubs would have gear for people to use, thats good news.

edit:So pistol/rifle licenses are e38 I assume per year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Just a quick response on gear costs. Any target equipment is expensive. Good target pistols (.22) start around €1000 and work upwards, air pistols start a bit cheaper (but not much) and the good ones are about the same as .22's.

Because pistol is only new here there are very few (if any) second hand. Target rifles on the other hand are more plentiful and second hand ones are fairly widely available. Left handed less so, but not impossible. Pistols are also handed, although you can change the grips. Again not cheap as Rink and Nil grips run at about €170.

Joining a club is essential as most have their own gear and will allow you use it until you get your own. Left handed gear is always a problem though.

Just a quick response on gear costs. Any target equipment is expensive. Good target pistols (.22) start around €1000 and work upwards, air pistols start a bit cheaper (but not much) and the good ones are about the same as .22's.

Well I'm not looking on getting into competitions or any serious shooting straight away or anything. I was thinking about a decent and relatively cheap pistol (second hand if possible) that I could use to go to a range and squeeze off a few rounds with.

What about buying online and/or importing into the country. Is it possible and what are the regulations? Is .22 the only pistol caliber allowed under our legislation? Is there any regulations on the type that are allowed i.e Single/Double Action, Auto loaders.

Though all that is moot really if rifles are actually cheaper.
    Joining a club is essential as most have their own gear and will allow you use it until you get your own. Left handed gear is always a problem though.

Any idea as to a specific club close to Dublin city. Anyone have experience with clubs around that area?

Thanks for the help so far guys.

FMrFox wrote:
    Well I'm not looking on getting into competitions or any serious shooting straight away or anything. I was thinking about a decent and relatively cheap pistol (second hand if possible) that I could use to go to a range and squeeze off a few rounds with.
    There are a few decent pistols that you can get that would fit the bill such as the Hammerli X-Esse, Browning Buckmark and Walther KSP200. These are still around the €700 mark, they are all .22's (because that's the most widely usable on ranges - there are very few ranges that allow centrefire). Second hand pistols are only available from abroad but you have to be careful because pistols don't last as well as rifles with high mileage. :D

For importing, search here for a couple of threads on that subject.
    Though all that is moot really if rifles are actually cheaper.
    Indeed.
    Any idea as to a specific club close to Dublin city. Anyone have experience with clubs around that area?
    For Air pistol/rifle you can go to Wilkinstown in Meath, for .22 rifle there's BRC in Bohernabreena and Dublin Rifle Club in Kilbride (also do some pistol, but not fully authorised yet). Rathdrum do .22 target rifle and pistol as well as air. Some of these have club equipment as well. I know Rathdrum have 7 club rifles and 2 club pistols, as well as jackets, slings and other gear.

Check the links page on www.targetshootingireland.org

• Advertisement

FMrFox wrote:
    A lot of clubs would prefer you to be competitive. 'Squeezing off a few rounds' becomes a bit boring after a while anyway, as you will want to test yourself against other people. The problem with buying the cheaper pistols is that they are never going to be good with targets and will end up costing you more in the long run when you have to replace them.

Competitive target shooting is exciting and rewarding and never boring.

"When you buy quality you only cry once" :D

there are very few ranges that allow centrefire

I'm just reading up on some of the terminology. I didn't know the difference between rim and center fire, quite interesting.
    "When you buy quality you only cry once"

Very true. Good advice.

Well thanks for the help! It's going to be a while before I can afford to really do anything but when I do Ill post a thread.

Thanks! :)

FMrFox wrote:
    Well thanks for the help! It's going to be a while before I can afford to really do anything but when I do Ill post a thread.

Thanks! :)

You're welcome, it's what this forum's for. :)

Have a good look at some of the club sites and I would recommend that you visit some clubs and try the different disciplines to see what you would like to do. There are many different target shooting disciplines from Olympic rifle/pistol through to benchrest rifle and taking in silhouette rifle, sporting rifle, gallery rifle, practical pistol and full bore rifle.

All are covered at various ranges throughout the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Hold your horses! Dont listen to the rifle nuts, get a shotgun!

Apparantly rifle/pistol shooting is for losers and shotgun shooting is for winners, and the shotgun guys are usually more handsome, apparantly.. thats what some guy told me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭SMERSH

Apparantly rifle/pistol shooting is for losers

Those is fighting words. Pistols at dawn! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

SMERSH wrote:
    Those is fighting words. Pistols at dawn! :)

I think you will find thats "Shotguns at dawn"!!

Did I mention the relationship between rifles and small willys? According to recent research the guys with shotguns have giant ones. Its a scientific fact!

(going on holiday tomorrow no doubt this thread will be pages long when I get back!)

alan123 wrote:
    I think you will find thats "Shotguns at dawn"!!

Did I mention the relationship between rifles and small willys? According to recent research the guys with shotguns have giant ones. Its a scientific fact!

They're only bigger because they're double barrelled. What's more they have chokes and if you're not careful they could get sawn off very easily. :p

Also most of them have to be broken to be loaded, :eek: and are only good for two shots before they have to be broken again. :eek: :eek:

The ones that don't have to be broken have to be pumped regularly :D

All in all a very painful business. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

I've been up in hilltop the past two wednesday evenings. Have to say that the lads up there are the most accommodating, patient and helpfull bunch I've ever met on the shooting scene!
    They have a great selection of disciplines, including fullbore pistol, and the lads are all very willing to help you out.

Advertisement