Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Wireless anywhere?

Options
  • 07-09-2007 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows if ther is anywhere in Kilkenny city where you can access a wireless network for free? eg any cafes/hotels etc that make it available for patrons?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I remember reading a while back a list of all the WiFi hotspots around town, not sure though if there was a charge and I cant remember the source?

But if all comes to all, you can get one of those WiFi hotspot finder keyrings!
    It will pick up a signal and tell you signal strength etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

There are a few alright. The hotels have them e.g the Newpark, Langton's, Hotel Kilkenny but they're encrypted so you have to ask at reception for a username+password. McDonalds also provide free wireless access but again, you have to get a card with a username/password from the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Great - thanks for the info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭windy bee

I installed a Wireless Network in the Hibernian Hotel, all the floors need keys BUT the bar area/lobby is free and you can get a good 54Mbps connection over an useceured channel so if you go there you can surf wirelessly for free! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

windy bee wrote:
    54Mbps connection

Thats a seriously high speed connection. (T3 connection)
    Dunno how they can afford to keep a connection like that and let people use it for free!

• Advertisement

Another reason to love the Hibernian Hotel bar. I think I might move in with my laptop. Sure beats my sh!te 3 datamodem :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Heh 54mbps as far as their router maybe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭windy bee

Yep, I put in a couple of WRT54G's and used some fairly serious speedbooster access points so its happy days all round - best part is that the AP's are painted green so you wont even notice them , they look just like smoke alarms

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

There will be a sudden rush of solitary, lap-top lugging clientelle at the Hibernian Hotel methinks! :D

Tried Hotel Kilkenny tho - the girl at the desk knew nothing about an access code so I had to bugger off again!

How to spot fellow Kilkenny "boardsers" ....they'll be the ones sitting with the laptops in the Hibernian :D

MsFifers. Sorry for giving ya a bum steer on the Hotel Kilkenny thing. I was under the impression that they did have WiFi but I could be mixing them up with one of the other hotels on the ring road. I think Days Hotel have it as well but I'm not certain.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its a shame fon.com routers are not more popular, if I still worked in the net cafe down by the National Irish I'd properly set one up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 blackadder444

The bar in the rivercourt hotel on john's bridge does free wifi, no access codes,nice surroundings not too busy. Always bring my laptop when grabbing a bite to eat there.

Advertisement