Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Veggie Diesel Mix

Options
  • 07-09-2007 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

I was passing by Aldi today and I decided to knock in and see what price veggie oil is at these days. It's 70c a litre. I was wondering could I run my 2001 Landcruiser Colorado on a Diesel/Veggie Oil mix to save a few bob?

Flora is 80c a litre which is still a good saving.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

50/50 mix max. My bro does it with wexford oil. try it 70/30 first. Should work. his corolla see no difference except it's slower to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Thanks corglass.

Can anyone else confirm this? I want to be double sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Pep

Do you have to make any modifications to use veggie oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Just so you know, toyota will probably give you the old "only use proper diesel...." with the worst that can happen from what i've heard is clogged filters because of the high viscosity.

Mixing with regular diesel tends to solve this.

What about the acidity though? I've heard this mentioned about SVO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

check out your engine on www.elsbett.com online shop.

If in doubt DO NOT PUT VEGGIE IN

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Veg oil isn't acidic ...that's Bio-diesel (methyl-ester)

Once you have the veg oil in your cylinder, burning it is not the problem. It burns just as well as diesel, some people even claim an improvement in performance.

It's getting it there that is the problem. Veg oil is "thicker" than diesel and it congeals quicker at low temperatures (some veggie fats come in blocks, remember?)

This can cause several problems:
    your fuel pump may not be able to create sufficient suction (esp when its cold)
    your filters may congeal (esp when its cold)

and lastly and most importantly, your injection pump may not like it at all. highly efficient modern common rail systems with their immense pressure are particularly susceptive to increases in viscosity ...your pump may simply not hack it, or worse, break

That's why most people will install pre-heaters and injector modifications when they're serious about running veg oil (and veg oil only)

Adding a bit of Aldis finest every now and then during summer time is usually no problem (10-30 %) add more or let it get cold and you will get into trouble.
    Best case scenario you just need to change your diesel filter, worst case you fubar'd your complete engine.

So you always take a bit of a risk experimenting and a proper conversion is too dear for just trying it outand you'd need to do some serious mileage to get your investment back.

And then there would be the issue of legality.

See http://www.eilishoils.com/ for further information

I read on a UK (LC Prado) forum about a guy running a 50% mix in summer and a 25% mix in winter.

I have put my motor on a 17% mix today. Works out at 99c per litre for 90 litres at 17% mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

if you have a modern diesel HDI TDI type engine then you are taking a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

From what I have read vegetable oil is quite hard on the rubber components in the engine, hoses etc and the elsbett kit includes the necessary pieces to replace these components.
    I also heard that there can be issues with some fuel tank liners not liking the vegetable oil.
    I haven't been able to try this yet so will watch your progress with interest.
    Ballooba is yours the D4D or 1-KZTE engine?

• Advertisement

Mine is 1-KTZE. I've been told on the Prado Yahoo Group that it's not such a good idea now. Hard on the injectors. Might check out the local bio-diesel operation when I'm home today. Could be a better solution.

Advertisement