Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richard Harris Statue, Bedford Row

Options
  • 07-09-2007 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

T'was unveiled today. I like it anyway. Its basically taken from the movie Camelot. He is looking upwards and holding a sword in one arm, and the caption is 'peace not war'

There are these little plaques around it which have information on the movies he was in and how he played rugby.

Pretty nice statue, i really hope it doesnt get vandalised!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I guarantee its vandalised before the end of the month, can't have anything nice in the city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Where's the $$$$$$$$$$$ photo ..... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

haha sooooorry :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Melion wrote:
    I guarantee its vandalised before the end of the month, can't have anything nice in the city

The Bard of Thomond Statute hasn't been vandalised out by King John's Castle, and it's there over a year. Now, I agree, there's a chance it will get a few bruises, but hopefully nothing to serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭MonsieurD

T'was unveiled today. I like it anyway. Its basically taken from the movie Camelot. He is looking upwards and holding a sword in one arm, and the caption is 'peace not war'

There are these little plaques around it which have information on the movies he was in and how he played rugby.

Yeah, I dropped by Bedford Row this afternoon and think the statue looks very well. Lot's of people were having a look and reading the plaques at the foot of the statue. I feel statues can add a bit of class to a street - and I think this statue does just that.
    Hopefully people will be proud enough of their city not to want to vandalise this welcome addition to our new-look city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

hobie wrote:
    Where's the $$$$$$$$$$$ photo ..... :p

http://www.limerickblogger.org/blog/?p=3954

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Didn't see it in person yet but being honest im not that impressed by the pictures, is it not more a tribute to a fictional character than the man himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

It's a nice statue, you have to give it that but as for looking like Richard, it could have been more like the Kilkee one...Richard as himself! The statue could be anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The Bard of Thomond Statute hasn't been vandalised out by King John's Castle, and it's there over a year. Now, I agree, there's a chance it will get a few bruises, but hopefully nothing to serious.

If you look closely at the 1916 monument on Sarsfield Bridge, the pistol has been whipped from Ned Daly's hand (at least that's who I believe it is), so how long before King Arthur's sword disappears??

There's a fairly heavy Garda presence in the area at night recently, so I'd say even the scum that would want to vandalise it wouldn't in that situation

Thanks Billy for the photo link ...... can always rely on you .... :p

I must admit he was such a classic looking guy you wouldn't have to reproduce anything but the real man to impress us all ..... :rolleyes:

I think it's a shame ...... :(

if they reproduced him as 'Bull" McCabe' it would have been better .....

Oh well .... it's done now .... :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I read somewere that someone said it looks like the guy from the burger king ads

coundn'y agree more

its mr burger king (or mr king i dunno)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

P9070020.jpg

burger-king.jpg

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 newsmedia

The statue, as said elsewhere on this board, could be of anyone. I would like to point people to the page http://www.newsmedianews.com/limcom.php where a poll reveals much greater support to locate the statue in the People's Park.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

Why I don't like it..

Looks like an oversized lead soldier.
    Doesn't look like him.
    Head too big for the body.
    Located near Burger King and thus looking more like an ad.
    Not in the middle of the street in a prominent position.
    Not facing up towards O'Connell St.

.........anyone with any experience of the stage will recognise that the position of the statue is weak. If it was an actor posing for a photo he would automatically go to the strongest and most dramatic spot.

It's such a pity that a great man, a good location, and a wonderful opportunity was wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Pikasso wrote:
    Why I don't like it..

Looks like an oversized lead soldier.
    Doesn't look like him.
    Head too big for the body.
    Located near Burger King and thus looking more like an ad.
    Not in the middle of the street in a prominent position.
    Not facing up towards O'Connell St.

.........anyone with any experience of the stage will recognise that the position of the statue is weak. If it was an actor posing for a photo he would automatically go to the strongest and most dramatic spot.

It's such a pity that a great man, a good location, and a wonderful opportunity was wasted.

its 2 blocks away from burger king,its beside supermacs, it is a godawful statue though whoever got paid for doing it ripped off the council

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Saw it today, its quite small

Some graffiti on the bottom of it already

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

P9070020.jpg

:D

I don't really like it, I didn't know Harris but this certainly doesn't look anything like him. Would have preferred a statue or bust of the man himself.

From a photgraphy point of view I think the statue is facing the wrong way, he should be facing O'Connell St. this way you'd get a nice view of Bedford Row when taking a pic of the great man rather than the side of BOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Pfft, there is just no pleasing anybody these days, i like the statue anyway.

Pfft, there is just no pleasing anybody these days, i like the statue anyway.

you never stop learning do you ..... ;)

so that's what PFFT means :D
    Fine, whatever, I don’t care

I never knew that ..... :p

ps. it's still a $$$$$$$$$ horrible image of a fine Limerick man .... :(

• Advertisement

rashirr.gif
    As the newshound you sometimes see about town, i think it should have been Richard standing in jeans and rugby teeshirt with a rugby ball under one arm.

krudler wrote:
    its 2 blocks away from burger king,its beside supermacs, it is a godawful statue though whoever got paid for doing it ripped off the council

:D Nope, the council did not get ripped off - the people did. This statue is a prime example of the outcome of clique fellowship in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Listen, if ye don't like it.
    Fair enough.

If ye think that it's badly positioned.
    Fair enough.

If ye think it's too close to Supermacs!!!
    Fair enough.

But stop with all this crap about it looking nothing like him!
    Just because most of ye have an image of Harris in over sized armour in a certain Russell Crowe movie, doesn't mean that the statue doesn't look like him.
    Have any of ye actually seen Camelot?
    The statue is a very good likeness of what Harris looked like in that movie!
    (A movie that won three oscars, was nominated for 4, and in which Harris won a Golden Globe, and went from being a well known actor in England for the most part, to one of the worlds biggest actors!)

And seeing as ye've gotten me started, what's wrong with the positioning?
    Who complains about the remarkably similar position of the Phil Lynott statue in Dublin?

The real stupidly placed statue in Limerick is that of Patrick Sarsfield!
    If you want a statue moved, then that's the one to move!

Fair enough.

Fair enough.

Fair enough.

Just because most of ye have an image of Harris in over sized armour in a certain Russell Crowe movie, doesn't mean that the statue doesn't look like him.
    (A movie that won three oscars, was nominated for 4, and in which Harris won a Golden Globe, and went from being a well known actor in England for the most part, to one of the worlds biggest actors!)

Who complains about the remarkably similar position of the Phil Lynott statue in Dublin?

Fair enough too. But the question Who complains about the remarkably similar position of the Phil Lynott statue has nothing to do with the issue.
    I wholeheartedly agree with the removal of the Sarsfield statue.

However, having met Richard on several occasions over the years and share the same surname (no relation) I cannot agree that the features look like the man himself.

And it is the man himself the statue is meant to commemorate, not the roles he played.

newsmedia wrote:
    Fair enough too. But the question Who complains about the remarkably similar position of the Phil Lynott statue has nothing to do with the issue.
    I wholeheartedly agree with the removal of the Sarsfield statue.

However, having met Richard on several occasions over the years and share the same surname (no relation) I cannot agree that the features look like the man himself.

And it is the man himself the statue is meant to commemorate, not the roles he played.

The point I made about the positioning is valid.
    As great a Limerick man that Richard was, he was an actor.
    It's right that we honour him, but in an appropriate way.
    The talk of putting the statue on Oconnell street itself is a bit much.
    He was an important part of Limerick, but not all important.

Again, as I said earlier, have you even seen Camelot?
    How many of your meetings with Richard were in 1967?!!!

The statue is not a bad representation of this man.

51%2Bq-Y8O9iL.jpg&usg=AFQjCNE11Etp0WdEXlbfrZW9Mu9IculruA

And when you are dealing with an actor, why not commemorate his roles that brought joy to so many?
    If he was a footballer, or a hurler, the statue would be of him playing that sport.
    A general would have a statue in uniform.
    A musician (like Phil Lynott again), a guitar.

Richard Harris had an amazing gift.
    And I for one think that the gift should be remembered, every bit as much as the man.

when you are dealing with an actor, why not commemorate his roles that brought joy to so many?
    If he was a footballer, or a hurler, the statue would be of him playing that sport.
    A general would have a statue in uniform.
    A musician (like Phil Lynott again), a guitar.

Yep ..... and Bull McCabe's the one for Limerick .... :p

Not some $$$$$$$$$ English King who in real life no one could probably stand the sight of let alone anyone in downtown Limerick ....... :)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iEdwbScrDTw

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

Fair enough.

Fair enough.

Fair enough.

My argument about the positioning is that I think he should be facing O'Connell St, this way in photographs you'd have a nicer picture than the blank window of BOI in the background, iirc Phil Lynott is so positioned tho' he is in a tiny side street.

With regards to Sarsfield yes he should be moved, again from a photgraphy point of view it's almost impossible to get a decent picture as he is locked into a tiny square.

I wonder if Dublin would take it in part exchange for Phil Lynott ..... :rolleyes:

They like Kings in that part of the World and Phil would be a great addition to Limerick .... :p

ps. we could then save up for a decent statue of RH

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

As much as we like to bicker about it...the tourists are loving the statue so it's not all bad! always see people taking pictures with him! :D

• Advertisement

hobie wrote:
    Yep ..... and Bull McCabe's the one for Limerick .... :p

Not some $$$$$$$$$ English King who in real life no one could probably stand the sight of let alone anyone in downtown Limerick ....... :)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iEdwbScrDTw

Well there are a lot of historians now, who reckon that Arthur was actually an Irish chieftain, who used to raid the south west of England!

You gotta feel sorry for the auld neighbours some times.
    When you consider the fact that Richard the Lionheart, was actually French, couldn't even speak English, and tried to sell London to the highest bidder.
    Add that to the fact that Aurthur was almost deffinately Irish or Welsh, and they have no real Kings left!;) :D

Advertisement