Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD laptop offer

Options
  • 07-09-2007 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

This seems very expensive but the fringe benefits seem good - does anyone have any experience / opinions on same?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Few people I now know up thre have laptops, some got the offer, say its a big load of crap. My brother got the offer, big load of crap. They say they should have bought one that wasnt on the offer, but would suit their needs. UCd make money from the student "offers", so no wonder why they push them so much. Can be gotten cheaper, doesnt have to be Dell, thats the opinion I got from people.

Out of interest, what course are you doing? If your doing a course which doesnt specifically require a laptop, but you're gettting one anyway, just get it yourself, its what I did/am doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

What's a good cheap laptop? I want something with Internet connection, dvd player and microsoft word. Not interested in most of the other crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Dell 6400 .. 500 euro. Thats the one Im using at them moment. Good for media and word processing but not pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Captian Negative, go into the Bargain Alerts forum here. Big thread going about Dell offers there. I'll come back with a link in a second.

The Inspiron 5100 is €579, I got that and it shall hopefully be decent. ALthough I added one thing on to make it €670. Hell of a lot cheaper anyway.

Linkage: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055145616

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Also in case you're not on for paying for the Student (aka Crippled) version of office, there's a very good legally free office suite available from http://www.openoffice.org/ for both Mac and Windows machines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Dell outlet all the way. something like delloutlet.ie i think. Basically its returned/cancelled orders sold on the cheap with warranties etc. Family desktop and my laptop came form there and no problems so far with either after 2 years. REAL savings to be had here.

Advertisement