Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would happen in this situation?

Options
  • 07-09-2007 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

3 people move into a house together paying say 1500 in rent a month. A one year lease is signed. After 6 months one of the people decide they are moving out. What are the implications for the other two people? Are they required to pay the difference in the rent or would they just continue to pay 500 each. Would the 3 persons be treated in a seperate manor or as a group. Is it up to the landlord to find someone to replace the individual moving out or how would it work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

Depends on how the lease was signed... some landlords will require one tennant to sign the lease and be responsible for the entire group. In this case, it's that persons reponsibility to get a new tennant and, in some cases, make sure the landlord is happy enough with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭darrenoneill33

I was wondering because at the moment myself and 2 others are thinking about getting a place. But i know that around next feb or March that one of the lads is thinking about going travelling. So i was wondering what the implications would be for the 2 of us who would be staying put and would be happy to continue renting the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Tell your landlord about it up front and say that you will arrange a third person if necessary. Having the landlord impose a third person may not work.

I presume its a 3-bedroom place.

Really i think it should be up to the lad who would be leaving to arrange a person. I'm just thinking ahead because i could see us landed in a tricky situation otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Really i think it should be up to the lad who would be leaving to arrange a person. I'm just thinking ahead because i could see us landed in a tricky situation otherwise
    By 'you', I meant the 3 of you. Of course the responsibility falls mostly on the one moving out, but the other 2 have to be able to live with the new person also.

• Advertisement

Ya thats true. I just wouldn't like to see us get a bad reference or something like that for breaking a lease agreement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Most leases make the tenants jointly and severally liable. Any one tenant could be sued by the landlord for rent or damages and it would be up to that tenant to try and recover from the others. Some houses are let on a room by room basis with each tenant having a separate agreement with the landlord. This is relatively rare in Dublin but becoming more popular for legal reasons.
    If you are going to enter a letting agreement with other people you should have a very good idea as to their reliability. You could in theory end up in a lot of bother.

Advertisement