Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Philosophy Meaningless?

• 07-09-2007 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Is philosophy required? Has it ever helped Human Civilisation?

In a serious philosophical question, there is no one answer, so does one not just waste time discussing it. Should we not just let our minds decide what's right and not be taught various philosophical ways of life.

They do say that it's best to leave some things alone as it creates more imaginative and creative thoughts which is better than trying to understand things that can't be fully comprehensible or meaningless to discuss it in the first place.

Is philosophy meaningless? 3 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

maths is a branch of philosophy where there is often only one correct answer.

But in any case its my belief that just because there is not one objective answer, that doesn't devalue the multiple subjective answers that exist.

I think that ones decision regarding whats right in a given context would be more well informed if the person has different philosophical ideas/approaches to draw upon relating to it. Contending with a variety of philosophical ideas would, imo, be more stimulating for the imagination too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

maths is a branch of philosophy where there is often only one correct answer.
    Logic is a branch of philosophy. And, not that I know anything about it, but Kurt Goedel, a mathematician postulated that mathematical propositions are 'incomplete', and therefore unprovable.

Anyway, I think philosophy has been of enormous importance. No philosophy means no science. And I have seen how philosophy has contributed directly to the empowerment of the world's poor, and reduction of poverty, through the power of philosophical ideas.

To me, philosophy is about the search for order and meaning/understanding in a chaotic and indifferent universe. But it'll take philosophers of the future to replace that belief with another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Scigaithris

The meaningfulness of philosophy reduced to a yes/no nominal measure on a boards forum poll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

DadaKopf wrote:
    Logic is a branch of philosophy. And, not that I know anything about it, but Kurt Goedel, a mathematician postulated that mathematical propositions are 'incomplete', and therefore unprovable.
    I know you were not claiming anything, but Godel's theorem doesn't state that mathematical propositions are unprovable. The theorem is more concerned with the framework of Set Theory/Theory of Natural numbers that such statements are made in. It basically says that the Theory of Natural numbers can't talk about itself completely because it is consistent.

Philosophy itself is useful in other disciplines for helping to frame a question correctly, which would be one of its exterior uses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

has music ever helped civilisation?

I've never really helped civilisation and I'm pretty sure I'm fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Son Goku wrote:
    I know you were not claiming anything, but Godel's theorem doesn't state that mathematical propositions are unprovable. The theorem is more concerned with the framework of Set Theory/Theory of Natural numbers that such statements are made in. It basically says that the Theory of Natural numbers can't talk about itself completely because it is consistent.

Philosophy itself is useful in other disciplines for helping to frame a question correctly, which would be one of its exterior uses.
    Fair enough, I know little about Goedel's theorem.

Anywho, my point is: philosophy has something to do with meaning (or how we come about to it through framing [and interrogating] questions), and that ideas have huge powers to shaped lived 'reality', as I said above. Probably also the misunderstanding of ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

without philosophy we are nothing because its human nature to be curious and without philosophy we have nothing to live for

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

Did you think anyone would vote Yes on this this site?

Besides which, what you really seem to be asking is "Is Philosophy useless".

Which means your poll question has nothing to do with your OP.

Some philosophical training might have helped you figure that one out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement