Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cargiant.co.uk advice

Options
  • 07-09-2007 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying a car through cargiant in the UK. I'm wondering if anyone on boards has had any dealings with them? good or bad

They seem to be a fairly professional outfit.

On their website they say that all their cars are go through a 141 point check etc and no bad cars get to the showroom. If i was to buy from them should I get my own Inspection done independently and also a HPI Check?

Incidentially this is the car I am thinking of

http://www.cargiant.co.uk/cars/detail.asp?Id=345013

If anyone has any opinions on cargiant or this car I would be delighted to hear them.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

yeah I would be fairly confident in cargiant checks plus they any problems I have heard that have arisen after a purchase have been dealt with very professional.

One car had some clutch problems cargiant told to go to nearest Irish dealer to get it sorted , faxed off receipt and got a check 2 weeks later. Can't say fair then that.

Downside is price I think is abit high. Much lower if you go for something at auction. Could come in half that and you can afford to get the aa to half a look.

Heres an example coming up tommorow in Edinburgh . I'll see can I find a diesel 2.0.

LOT Image MAKE MODEL REG. COL. FUEL TRANS MOT V5 MILES LOC AUC
    TYP
    1401 MAZDA 6 TS - 1798cc MAZDA 6 TS - 1798cc
    - 4dr Saloon Apr 2004 Silver P Manual Apr 08 Here 39,957 Li COM

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Hey Looks like a nice car, but would you not be worried about the high mileage?

Is 80K miles considered high mileage nowadays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Im in london, theres a lovely on the around the corner for sale for £4.5k. Dont know the details but could find out and let you know if you want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

You wouldn't be saving much buying it from there - 9800 in euro plus the bones of 4800 in VRT (depending on what mood they're in!) - you'd probably pick one up here with less mileage for the same money if you shopped around - hardly worth the effort IMO - auctions can be great for a bargain but you need to know your stuff - generally you can't get AA inspections done beforehand cars are sold as seen. In some auction houses you can't even get into the car they keep it locked and the only time you hear it running is when it's driven through for the actual auction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Mutz wrote:
    Hey Looks like a nice car, but would you not be worried about the high mileage?

Is 80K miles considered high mileage nowadays?

Mileage isn't very high when annual diesel mileage is aroung 25k miles p@

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

seems a bit expensive though

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

I found Car Giant to very expensive compared to other dealers and private sellers in the UK selling similar cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

bucks wrote:
    I found Car Giant to very expensive compared to other dealers and private sellers in the UK selling similar cars.

As far as dealer Vs private seller, the dealer is always going to be more expensive. Car giant just happen to be on the upper end of the dealer price scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Try fow.co.uk near manchester, loads of cars to choose from and better on price. Mostly nearly new cars though.

Its closer to Holyhead as well for transporting.

The only issue I have with cargiant is payment. They dont take credit card.

After that they are very good. Go during the week if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Thanks for all the feedback lads, I thought it might be a bit on the expensive side alright but then again I've been looking on carzone etc and can't seem to find anything to compare it with over here. It is a fairly good spec and anything in or around it they seem to be looking for around the 18.5K + for here.

Time to do a bit for looking methinks

As far as auctons go I'm afraid I wouldn't have the experience or knowledge to go down that road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Cushtie

I gave them a ring anyway to enquire a bit more about the car. I saying that if I went ahead with the purchase I would be getting a check done by RAC.

THe sales woman said this would be no problem and I would have to pay a £400 deposit and then arrange with the service manager to schedule in the RAC Mechanic.

No problem says I until she says that I or someone on my behalf would have to phyically go down to their office and pay the deposit in person. Obviously I'm not about to catch a flight to London to put down a deposit and then go over maybe a week later to collect the car if all is in order.

It is weird policy and from the way she was talking there was no way around it. Surely they would take a bank draft or credit card for a deposit (I know on their website it says no Credit Cards but for overseas buyers you would think there would be some sort of procedure in place, given that they make such a big fuss on their website about welcoming irish buyers)

Advertisement