Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ag Science

Options
  • 07-09-2007 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭

Im considering taking it up, so im wondering is it really as easy as some people say? If anybody did it, is doing it or has an opinion on it i'd like to hear it please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Yeah, I took it up and did it in a year. It isn't as easy as people say, but it is very easy. If you do Biology, most of the difficult stuff you will have done. The only thing is remembering various facts and figures which are essential in the exam. Try to get the project done early as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Mé Féin

Hey!! Ya I agree it isn't simple...you do have to do a bit of work but on the other hand its not as hard as other subjects. Try to do a really good project cos 25% is alot so don't ignore it:o Oh and a bit of farming knowledge will definately help you but its not hughly important!!

Good luck with your choice!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭wireless101

sounds good! thanks for the responses, keep em coming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

definetly changed my opinion on agriculture, well worth it! :)

the problem is that its so outdated its virtually useless.. and things do crop in in the exam that arent in the book, so thats why you would need a bit of farming knowledge...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It's much easier to get a high grade in Ag Science than it is in Biology. I'm an ag teacher and would recommend it every time.

You will need to have the following in your project portfolio.

Experiments covering the following topics:
    Soil
    Animal Physiology (dissections)
    Plant Physiology (transpiration, tropisms. photosynthesis etc)
    Genetics
    Microbiology
    Ecology (Field study using quadrat etc)

Farm Plan (Layout of farm showing buildings, fields etc)

Animal Livestock Project (Most students pick cattle, sheep or pigs, but horses poultry etc are acceptable)

Crop Projects (Two from Grassland OR Root Crop OR Cereal)

I normally get my classes to do Grassland and Potato Growing.. you should probably plant some potatoes after christmas so you can take photos and prove you did it yourself.

You will also need to be able to identify plants and animals (both food producing and parasites) on the day so it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a collection of pictures/plants in your project either

As for the exam Nine questions to do Six. Quite a good choice.

Question 1 is short answer questions (10 to do 6), worth 60 marks, all others worth 48 so you really have to do question 1.

Q2 is always on soil so worth learning as its guaranteed

Same with Q7 its always genetics. so if you really like this topic or dislike it you can choose to study it really well or leave it out completely. it won't come up elsewhere on the paper.

Q4 is always experiments, 4 experiments to do two, easy enough and straightforward.

The remaining questions are from the rest of the course, but those are the guaranteed topics and well worth a look. PM me if you have any other questions.

It's not often that something will appear on the paper that isn't covered in the book, the book and syllabus is outdated but that's not really of concern, if you are able to give relevant correct knowledge that isn't in the book it will be ok

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 davemc06

I'm really considering doing Ag Science outside school now! :)
    Might be a bit easier the fact I'm also doing Biology!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

davemc06 wrote:
    I'm really considering doing Ag Science outside school now! :)
    Might be a bit easier the fact I'm also doing Biology!

yes biology will help, BUT you will need to have a teacher grade your project and say you completed all the practical/project work. officially you're supposed to be in an ag class.

Advertisement