Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spanish V Japanese

Options
  • 07-09-2007 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Hey all, so I am studying applied languages in college and have the choice to learn either Spanish or Japanese. As I would be a complete beginner in both I cant really decide which.

While Japanese sounds fascinating and a real challenge, I have a fairly good level of French and I hear this makes Spanish a little easier to learn.

Ultimately I would like to become a translator/interpretor and I dont know which language is more beneficial for me to learn in that context. By the way I am also taking Irish and French.

Maybe Japanese language students could let me know how difficult it is and similarly with Spanish. Bearing in mind that I will have to spend 6 months to a year in either country.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

i do japanese and find it quiet interesting. iv never tried spanish so i cant compare, but i find japanese relatively easy if you put in a little effort! also if i had to choose between spending 6 months in spain or japan id pick japan every time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Go for Spanish, solely because it's far more useful to an interpreter.

Japanese: 130 million people
    Spanish: 400 million people

Advertisement