Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

block web site ?

Options
  • 07-09-2007 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

hi,

just wonder is it possible to block specific web sites with the eircom netopia wireless modem ?.

if so how can this be done ?.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Unlikely, are you looking to block a site from someone in your house on one PC or many sites from many PC's?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭v240gltse

hi,

what i need to do is to block a range of websites on the wireless portion of the broadband for younger family members on their laptops. This way i can maintain control rather than having settings on their laptops if you know what i mean.

thanks in advance

brendan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭parliament

if the netopia supports it (and the website uses only one IP) then you can create a outbound firewall rule to block access the the IP which will block access to the site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

parliament wrote:
    if the netopia supports it (and the website uses only one IP) then you can create a outbound firewall rule to block access the the IP which will block access to the site

I think the best option for you is to update "host" file on target machines

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭aidan_r

v240gltse wrote:
    what i need to do is to block a range of websites on the wireless portion of the broadband for younger family members on their laptops. This way i can maintain control rather than having settings on their laptops if you know what i mean.

Try opendns, it'll do all that for free, and it's pretty easy to set up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭corkie

It is possible to block sites by using your rooter and DNS settings see OpenDNS . Search Google or your search engine of choice using the Following key words "Child Safe Internet Guides".

What happens for example if they use the laptops outside the home, or a friend's computer.

Advertisement