Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dynacord Powermate 600

Options
  • 07-09-2007 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Thinking of getting my first mixing disk in the next few months to feed my PC sound/Wireless microphones through for pubs and Wedding Reception type events.

I was looking at the Dynacord Powermate 600.

My questions are how good would a PCs sound be through the max speakers which are 300watt I believe?

How big a room could you comfortably work with this setup.
    it works with 4 x 300watt speakers right??

Maybe a Dynacord Powermate 1000 with 2 x 700watt would be more up my alley.

A guy I know who has the 600 said it has less feedback problems than his friends 1000 over the last few years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

A PC would sound fine, provided eq is set right

300 watt would be OK for medium sized venues and pubs, but would be pushing it. The 700 watt might be more suitible for weddings (Especially if in larger venues)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Have you considered getting a seperate power amp with an unpowered mixer? It may give you more options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Dude, PC will NOT sound fine...on its own.
    You'll need a DI or PC balance box in between to clear up noise due to impedance.
    EIREHotspur:
    A guy I know who has the 600 said it has less feedback problems than his friends 1000 over the last few years.

That sounds like rubbish to me. I've used both desks many times and this simply isnt true.

Do remember that the 600's EQ isnt as good as the 1000, that you have less AUX's, that there are no inserts for a GraphicEQ.
    Its not just power and channels that make the 1000 a better desk.

And, if you use a laptop you may have annoying ground hum. Annoys me greately.

Feedback from the desk is nothing to judge it by- he just didnt have his gear setup properly.

Personally I prefer seperate amps and desks, however a poweredmixer would be fine for compactivity etc

And, if you use a laptop you may have annoying ground hum. Annoys me greately.

Again, good old pc balance box to the rescue. This is the one I use:
    http://www.extendelectronics.com/cue-lights/vhq-balance-box.htmlNo hum!:D

• Advertisement

Aha. Where can they be obtained

Try this
    BTW, has stereo/mono switch, ground lift and pad. Very nice.:D

Thanks

Some nifty gear on that page :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Thinking of getting my first mixing disk in the next few months to feed my PC sound/Wireless microphones through for pubs and Wedding Reception type events.

I was looking at the Dynacord Powermate 600.

My questions are how good would a PCs sound be through the max speakers which are 300watt I believe?

How big a room could you comfortably work with this setup.
    it works with 4 x 300watt speakers right??

Maybe a Dynacord Powermate 1000 with 2 x 700watt would be more up my alley.

Ok for starters no desk is any more feedback prone than another so that's way off the mark. Sounds like operator error. Both desks are good at what they do, and "all in one" PA solution but you will not get much volume out of the Powermate 600 unless its strictly for an Acoustic or Vocal act.
    I'm not saying it can't be done, but it is difficult.

According to the spec on their site, the Dynacord Powermate 600 only puts out 2x180w when driven with one 8ohm speaker per side.
    The PM1000 will give you 2x350w if you have one speaker per side, to get the full 700w on each side you have to slave another speaker on each poweramp channel so the amp can run at 4ohm.
    This means with either desk, you need 4 speakers to get its full amplifier power.

With that in mind, I would not be quick to recommend the PM desks. And they aint too cheap either, as with everything Dynacord you will pay for the name. If you really want a Powered Mixer have a look at the Allen & Heath PA range.

I would suggest going with a straight forward Mixing Desk and possibly a pair of Powered speakers, there are many to choose from and you'll get better bang for your buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Irish Wedding D

You could try using a ground loop isolator. A computer acts as antennae when connected to a mixer so your going to get some feedback or humming.

Thats should sort out the problem for ya!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Sgt Pepper

I've 2 powermate 600's, a powermate 1000, and a recently acquired dynacord 500 {actually 600w powermixer, but i only heard of it recently} i got the dynacord 500 on the buy and sell few months back for E550 and it blows away the dynacord 600. The 600 is a very, very good mixer - but it's bass heavy and the eq just isn't tweakable enough for my liking these days.

I use the 600's in a studio setup now with a digi002 {****e}, apogee ad16x, da16x, api mic pre, neuman u-87, big ben, and a rake of other pro recording equipment. The 600 has some superb reverbs, echo etc that comes close to outboards units i've paid e3,000 for.

The 600 holds it value like no other mixer i've seen. Look after it and u'll get ur money back on it. They're like gold dust in cork at times.

Advertisement