Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Powerline Adapters

• 07-09-2007 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hey has anyone had experience of using the powerline ethernet adapters(the ones that use the electrical wires). Im thinking of getting some for the house as we cant get wireless all through the house. Are they any good? The only 2 i see or made by netgear and devolo. has anyone tried either of these?

Also at the moment our modem router is beside the computer. Will i need to use an adapter for the router and one for the computer or can i still use the ethernet cable to connect the computer to the router?

Any help will be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

... Also at the moment our modem router is beside the computer. Will i need to use an adapter for the router and one for the computer or can i still use the ethernet cable to connect the computer to the router? ...
    Haven't used them myself. Performace depends on quality of wiring and other factors.

Not sure I get what you asking here. You need to have one adapter by the router and another by the PC which will be connecting to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭stiofain2005

Basically our computer is beside the router and is currently connected with an ethernet cable. Will it continue to work this way or does the computer have to connect using another powerline adapter. I only have 2 plug spaces out in the computer room so if i need to use 2 powerline adapters then i wont be able plug anything in. Im sure it will still work but i just want to make sure before i get some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭dkane

If your computer is beside your router you don't need the Powerline Adapter. The idea behind them is to allow you to connect a device to your LAN where you do not have, or do not want to run Ethernet cable. Your house is cabled for power already so you can use this wiring to extend your LAN.
    If you have a computer beside your router connect them using ethernet. If you have another device you want to connect to the router but don't want to run a cable, plug in the powerline adapter, plug your ethernet cable from the router to the adaptor, plug in the second adapter beside the remote device and an ethernet cable from it to the device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

I have the Devola ones at home bought them in Pc world about 3months ago.
    Router was downstairs and Pc upstairs wireless was crap.

Used a spare port on the router and connected that to the first devola downstairs, second one upstairs connected to a linksys wrt54gs ( 4more ports :P ) connected that to the pc worked perfect house was 25years old guess i was lucky

Advertisement