Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think, is it worth going for 4gigs?

Options
  • 07-09-2007 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

I have 2GB ram at the moment and after seeing the sudden jump up to 4gigs in most systems I am thinking more ram is becoming a must.

I have Vista 32 bit so I will have to drop that and buy the 64 bit version..
    annoyingly...

Question is, Is 4GB worth it? I was going to be putting this money away towards a high end 9 series card but if extra ram is essential to avoid bottlenecking in future games then I guess I'll splurge out on 64 bit and another 2gigs now. I'll probably look for a deal on adverts. Alot of ya seem to have gone the 4GB route so whats your perfomance like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Well you don't have to go to 64bit with 4GB, 32bit still works away even though it can't use all of it.

Have 4 gigs and Vista64 here without any problems, worked with all my hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

Yeah I suppose I could grab another 2gigs now and run the 4gb on 32 bit for a while until i'm bothered going 64 bit. How much will it read exactly? 3.5 is it?

And would I lose that much performance running them on 32bit compared to the 64?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Hendrix89 wrote:
    Yeah I suppose I could grab another 2gigs now and run the 4gb on 32 bit for a while until i'm bothered going 64 bit. How much will it read exactly? 3.5 is it?

And would I lose that much performance running them on 32bit compared to the 64?

Yes it would show the full 4GB but only actually use 3GB.

You would have to apply the Microsoft 3GB Switch first. (see below)

Microsoft 3GB Switch:

The /3GB switch allocates 3 GB of virtual address space to an application that uses IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE in the process header. This switch allows applications to address 1 GB of additional virtual address space above 2 GB.

The virtual address space of processes and applications is still limited to 2 GB, unless the /3GB switch is used in the Boot.ini file. The following example shows how to add the /3GB parameter in the Boot.ini file to enable application memory tuning:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="????" /3GB

Note: "????" in the previous example can be the programmatic name of any of the following operating system versions:

Windows XP Professional
    Windows Server 2003
    Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
    Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition
    Windows 2000 Advanced Server
    Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
    Windows NT Server 4.0, Enterprise Edition

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Have you actually noticed anything that is being hindered performance wise because of the 2GB of RAM if no then it is just the upgrade itch :)

The recent upturn in 4GB is generally because RAM is so cheap and 64-bit is now viable for many people. As for the RAM issue well their is the hotfix for 32-bit Vista the addresses that with large RAM GPU's and games that eat up memory but unless you are really stressing the system I don't think it applies that much.

The 64-bit version of Vista only requires the cost of postage (they actually use UPS) of a DVD about 10 bucks you use your existing serial key with it if you have the retail version (OEM version may come with a separate serial key).

How much RAM you lose by sticking with 32-bit and having 4GB depends on the hardware in the system, with a high end GPU & other factors you could be looking at anywhere from 3-2.9GB or lower it's hard to accurately predict.

There is real no point in using the 3GB switch under Vista or any version of Windows as only certain applications can actually make use of it and it causes all sorts of other issues for the OS in general.
    {BTW the instructions above do not work on Vista}

In short if you want 4GB go 64-bit.

8T8, No haven't noticed much slow down at all in Vista so far (apart from the frequent vista buggy stuff) but I would say thats mainly due to the quad core. I'm worried that in more intense games coming up for release, memory may become a bigger demand. Haven't loaded any of my games on vista yet so have not had a chance to see the performance. Anxiously awaiting the Crysis demo on 25th! I know for certain that game will have a mighty appettite for memory! 2GB is the recommended so for maxed out I would say 4gigs are needed.

Unfortunately I don't think I can get that 10e 64 bit upgrade from MS because I have OEM at the moment...

Anyway so going by the issues your talking about I think I better just grab the 64 bit then. Ah it pains me to think that I wasted 100e on 32 bit!:(

Also the up-side in this situation is that I have very cheap (still excellent though) ram. Crucial Ballistix 2gigs only costs 153e on Komplett. As I said though might check out adverts for a second hand deal. Anyone have 2gigs ballistix 8500 and willing to sell give me a shout!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I "think" if you can get an OEM 64bit DVD, your serial should work fine. Though, if you don't need 4GB, it's pointless, if you buy when you need it you'll save money.

Or you could upgrade something else. That 19" LG LCD will be getting old, you could almost get a 22" widescreen for the upgrade to 4GB cost, or go the whole hog and get a 24".

OR, get some 750GB drives to complement that Raptor, I have two 750GB Hitachi's with 32MB Ram each in RAID, and it's sweet :)

Yeah I'll think it over. I won't jump at it yet.

Oh yeah I would love to have a nice 20-24'' but it's always been at the back of my mind because I don't really have enough gfx card power to enjoy one of those at their native res...

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Hendrix89 wrote:
    Yeah I'll think it over. I won't jump at it yet.

Oh yeah I would love to have a nice 20-24'' but it's always been at the back of my mind because I don't really have enough gfx card power to enjoy one of those at their native res...
    Your 8800GTS would do fine at 1680x1050, thats where I'd put the money not on a semi-pointless 4gigs.

Well I suppose a good monitor would last me a lot longer than some extra ram... Okay looks like you guys have convinced me. Still not sure if my GTS while handle the fancy dx10 games though at full res, but I guess I can always run lower res if need be right? It's clear to me that an extra 2gb ram isnt that important anyway so may as well. I can always upgrade in a couple months when ddr2 ram is even cheaper.

Was checking out this smart looking 22'' http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-050-SA&groupid=17&catid=949&subcat= Comes to exactly 325e. I don't want to go much higher than that but I want very good quality all the same.

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Hendrix89 wrote:
    Well I suppose a good monitor would last me a lot longer than some extra ram... Okay looks like you guys have convinced me. Still not sure if my GTS while handle the fancy dx10 games though at full res, but I guess I can always run lower res if need be right? It's clear to me that an extra 2gb ram isnt that important anyway so may as well. I can always upgrade in a couple months when ddr2 ram is even cheaper.

Was checking out this smart looking 22'' http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-050-SA&groupid=17&catid=949&subcat= Comes to exactly 325e. I don't want to go much higher than that but I want very good quality all the same.

What do you think?
    Good monitor, I've got the 20" and know people that have the 22" and like it very much. And I wouldn't expect any card out now to do DX10 well, including the 8800ultraoverpriced.

• Advertisement

Cool then, looks like a winner. I'll probably go for it although if anyone has any other suggestions let me know.

Advertisement