Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

programmable keyboard

Options
  • 08-09-2007 5:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

Would anyone be able to advise me where I could buy either a programmable keyboard, or a matrix style keyboard like the one shown here:

km128a.jpg

Preferably from an Irish source.

Regardless, it might be possible to modify a normal computer keyboard into this format somehow, but I wouldnt know where to start.

Thanks for any pointers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

what will it be used for? There are keyboards with programmable keysets and/or you could buy seperate number pads and program the keys. All depends on the use :).
    I'd imagine you would need a fairly good knowledge of programming though to undertake such a project.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Thanks for your reply Shane.

The software Im using is called Ableton Live, and can be used to trigger audio samples from a grid like this:

510VS_EReview%20(live5-session-cmyk).jpg

Each cell in the grid can contain a different sample, and any key can be assigned to play any cell on the grid. The benefit of having a matrix like keyboard would be a better physical representation of the grid.

yea thought it was gonna be that,

You could try something like the keyboards used on cash registers?
    http://www.docustom.com/kb-catalog/cherry/cherry-g80-1950.htm

Or if you really wanted to, and had the money, you could get a touch screen monitor?

also found this software
    http://www.copernic.com/winkey.exe

It means that you can make any windows key combination to have an action.

So...

You could tape down your windows key on your keyboard and then just press the keys you want?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

how big a matrix do you need? I've used xkeys with some success but only the 4x5 one..

http://www.piengineering.com/xkeys.php

there is a professional one with 58 keys and a 46 key one with a jog and shuttle knob that maybe you can find a use for?

• Advertisement

Cheers for the links guys.

Turns out these things are mighty pricey!

Does anyone know an Irish/Uk supplier?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i get the xkeys from the US, they are pretty quick to deliver.

Cheers. Ill look into it.

By the way, since you guys are tweakers and modifiers, Ill chance my arm and ask:

How difficult do you think it would be to customise a standard usb keyboard into something gridshaped? Actually, not customise it, but gut it and rebuild it. I just wonder what materials one would use for the new one.

Also I guess its problematic that the circuit boards need to stay intact. Hmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Completly impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

This could be a cheaper option. Have 1 myself 4 gaming, each key is fully programmable up to 4 times. Available in Argos.

Advertisement