Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pre med-elective in forensic anthropology

Options
  • 08-09-2007 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

I got a late offer of medicine in UCD so i missed the orientation days but i'm going to be there on monday even though i have not registered and got student card etc. (admissions in life sciences said that was perfectly fine).She printed off the timetable for me and was extremely helpful but when i got home i noticed she had put a ring around a lecture marked forensic anthropology and had written elective underneath it. Can someone tell me what this means and do i just go along to this elective that is on my timetable?Do i have to register for this elective when i register online or anything?

Also if any pre med students are on this or indeed students of medicine who were at the orientation day could you tell me what happened at the academic advisory meeting!?....i'm a bit lost!

And finally one more thing, can i do german or my irish with medicine through horizons....and how?!If any pre meds or 1st meds know anything at all, I would be very grateful!

thanks,
    yours,
    a girl who will be wandering around like a headless chicken on monday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

If you want to do that class, you have to register for it online as an elective.
    You don't have to do it if it's an elective, they're just strongly recommending it to you.

I'm doing it as an elective too, and I'm doing Chemistry, because I heard it's really interesting.

You get to do two electives per year. A language would also count as an elective so you have to choose between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Hey i got a late offer for pre-med in UCD as well so i wont be up till next week as well. Fortunatly i was at ucd last year as well so i understand the system they use.
    Our online accounts have to be activated first and then you can log on with your student number and date of birth to the system to change module's and electives. Wouldn't count on getting any language though, those modules fill up pretty quick and all we'll have on offer is the left overs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I'm heading into 2nd Med - didn't do Forensic Anthropology myself either last year or the year before but everyone that did really loved it, so basing my adivce on popular opinion I'd say go for it if you can.

Languages are always a good option, going for German myself in the second semester this year. If you can't get into it through Arts (modules called French I, German II etc.) try the Applied Languages Centre (modules called French for General Purposes Stage 4 etc.) Stage 4 would be the starting point if you studied the language for Leaving Cert., otherwise go for 'ab initio'.

Enjoy premed, it's a fantastic year. Quite a few of the lecturers are complete headcases but it really is a great experience. The workload gets a lot harder next year so make the most of it.

Oh and the orientation was probably just a tour around the college with explanations about the system and its quirks. I'll ask my friend what he did (he was a guide) and get back to you if you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Breezer wrote:
    Enjoy premed, it's a fantastic year. Quite a few of the lecturers are complete headcases but it really is a great experience. The workload gets a lot harder next year so make the most of it.

Ah premed those were the days. :)

Theres the annual medsoc cheese and wine reception for the pre meds this thursday in Bojangles at 8pm. Id really recommend going as its a great way to meet your class and will be a good laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

panda100 wrote:
    something about ****loads of free drink

cursed final year.... *shakes fist*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

panda100 wrote:
    Theres the annual medsoc cheese and wine reception for the pre meds this thursday in Bojangles at 8pm. Id really recommend going as its a great way to meet your class and will be a good laugh.
    Always excellent. Though come early if you want wine and be prepared to stay late if you want room to breathe, the place is TINY! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Breezer wrote:
    Always excellent. Though come early if you want wine and be prepared to stay late if you want room to breathe, the place is TINY! :D

The beer garden was opened last year, plenty of room out there. But yea, the bit between the bar and the toilets is a real bottleneck. Still, free wine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

cursed final year.... *shakes fist*

Thats never stopped anyone before! :)
    Quite funny to see the general lack of study among the mater final years...fishbowl is empty.Though I do think it a bit of a disgrace that due to lack of HSE funding the library shuts at 5,really not on.

Advertisement