Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crashing question on cars

Options
  • 08-09-2007 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

Just read yet another tragic road accident on the news this morning.

As I drive a Fabia as in the story(http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0908/cork.html?rss), the 2nd paragraph struck me as alarming as i drive the same type of car.

Stupid question but, if a car collides at a high speed(lets say 60kmph+) with an metal/concrete object, does it normally burst into flames?

I had always thought that in most cases it would be a tangled wreck yes, but those airbag thingys would try to save you, rather than the whole thing bursting into flames!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Well the airbags might save you but if the footwell has closed up because of the impact you won't be able to get out of the car. The brake fluid/coolant/fuel getting splashed on a very hot exhaust and the battery getting shorted out isn't a very good situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Depends on how you hit it I suppose - can also depend on how much petrol in the tank - I hit a cement truck (assh0le decided to stop on a blind bend down a tiny country road) - I was doing 30 mph in an old Renault 19 the front was pretty mangled but from the passenger footwell in was perfect I pretty much walked away - they didn't say if the crane was moving or not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

gurramok wrote:
    Stupid question but, if a car collides at a high speed(lets say 60kmph+) with an metal/concrete object, does it normally burst into flames?

I had always thought that in most cases it would be a tangled wreck yes, but those airbag thingys would try to save you, rather than the whole thing bursting into flames!

If you hit a metal/concrete object at high speed it is completely irrelevant if the car bursts into flames or not. You will be dead instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

maidhc wrote:
    You will be dead instantly.

If you're lucky... next time you're* driving "a bit too fast for the conditions", consider that fact that it is possible to be trapped by the feet/have three or more broken limbs and a jammed door/door up against a barrier, and be burned to death "while you wait". :(

The odd thought like this keeps me safe, and constantly willing to learn to be a better driver...

*Not you, maidhc, just any driver reading this...

Advertisement