Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crab apple jelly

• 08-09-2007 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I would like to make some crab apple jelly(first time) and I've found an easy recipe from Darina Allen but I'll need a "jelly bag" and preserving pan..and havent a clue where to get these...do you have any suggestions??...or maybe you know of a good substitute??..Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

A preserving pan is just a big pot - work out the volume of jelly you are going to make and use the biggest stainless steel pot you have.

A jelly bag is usually a conical muslin sock with a frame. The pulped fruit is allowed to strain through the bag into a bowl to collect the juice. A UK company called Lakeland Ltd have all the equipment at reasonable prices and will deliver to Ireland on request.

Have a look here

The alternative is to use a large piece of muslin and tie it over a bowl to collect the juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭twinkletoes

Thanks minder, thats good to know re pot because I have a few large ones and will look into getting the bag from that company or else some muslin.

Advertisement