Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Companies No Longer Quoting Online on Imported Cars

Options
  • 08-09-2007 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭

Was shopping around for insurance today - noticed quite a few insurers have added "No Imports" to their list of qualifying criteria - WTF? Surely if a car is specced the same as the Irish model and NCT'd it shouldn't be an issue.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Prolly a reaction to all these showy Jap cars on the roads or maybe Polish/Lithuianian "specials". ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I can understand that but this seems pretty general it's not country specific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

eamon234 wrote:
    I can understand that but this seems pretty general it's not country specific.

Quinn don't mind. Or lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

This has been on 123.ie (at least) for years.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Or lie.
    What a great way to invalidate your insurance!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Chef1976

I guess they have noticed a trend that for whatever reason these cars are more likely to be in an accident and cost them money!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Chef1976 wrote:
    I guess they have noticed a trend that for whatever reason these cars are more likely to be in an accident and cost them money!!

Too right! I seen today a foreign regged car reverse along the lay by on the M1 to take the exist for the N32.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Might also have to do with all the unspecified modifications done under the bonnets of alot of Jap imports. That and maybe these imports such as Glanzas, etc having different engine sizes, etc to what is written in the log book. Can only guess there are too many variables for insurance companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Chevy RV

The AA used to have no problem insuring UK imports ......perhaps they are worth a call.

Regards,

Chevy RV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Golferx

Every car in Ireland is imported.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Golferx wrote:
    Every car in Ireland is imported.

Very true. I think OP is referring to 2nd hand "grey" imports though. From Japan etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Stupid really if it wasn't Jap imports it would just be some Euro import.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭~~SKYHIGH~~

Quite simply it's because of all the langars out there who dont declare their comprehensive modifications list... Eddie up the road with more mod's then car..., crashes and he aint covered simple as that. Theres plenty of opportunity to skimp here and there when searching for online quotes.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Quinn's website now has loads of drop down menus for you to list all your modifications, the increase in premium often costing the same as the mods!

Advertisement