Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History special topics

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Duffman K

oh , right so :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Duffman K wrote: »
    I know its a longshot as this thread is fairly old but I'm doing Irish Slavery in the Caribbean and in need of another 2 sources (1 internet). Can you remember any good books/sites for sources on this?

would be appreciated.

I don't know whether you've already come across this, but Donald Akenson wrote a fantastic book called If the Irish Ran the World, and it's about the Irish population of Montserrat in the Caribbean, could be what you're looking for.
    Micheál O Siochrú's book God's Executioner also has a section about transportation of Irish people to the Caribbean during the Cromwellian period, and you could look through his references for further information.

As regards internet sources, I'm afraid I can't help much there, I could recommend online articles but I don't think you'd have access to them, unless you knew someone in university who could access the databases through their library.

Otherwise, there is also the documentary Cromwell in Ireland which is based on the O Siochrú book, and features a section on indentured servants. It's online at Youtube, don't know if that counts? :P Could be a potential source anyway.

x

Reckon I should PM him...? Don't know if he'll be checking the thread anymore, if he thought no one could answer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Well, sure if you felt like it, it couldn't do any harm certainly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Duffman K

thanks i'll try get them :)

I think there's a copy of:
    gutenberg wrote: »
    Micheál O Siochrú's book God's Executioner
    in my local library

• Advertisement

Duffman K wrote: »
    thanks i'll try get them :)

I think there's a copy of:
    in my local library

I would imagine there is- I've even seen it in airport bookshops, quite a feat for a history of early modern Ireland; it's an interesting book. Author's a nice guy too.

I have seen the Akenson book for sale online before, though I don't know how much it'd be; academic books can be quite expensive...

If you're still stuck, there are some fantastic surveys of early modern Irish history available now, and thankfully the emphasis on politics is gone and people have started to look at other aspects: Raymond Gilligan's Seventeenth Century Ireland is quite good.

As for online sources, I'm still a bit stuck on your behalf... You could try looking at the English State Papers online? Or the legislation that was passed to legalise the seizing of Irish people to export them, a lot of that stuff is available online, all you'd need would be to a lift a nice quotation or two from them :p

Advertisement