Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Email question

• 08-09-2007 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

I have stopped using MS outlook as my email program. What I am wondering when you are on a web page and click a email link, instead of it starting up outlook is it possible to configuer MS XP to open GMail?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What email prog are you using now?
    If you use Outlook Express, you can configure it to collect POP mail from GMail and then use that account as the default, so when you click on an email link, your reply will go from your GMail account.
    Is that what you are trying to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

cubix wrote:
    I have stopped using MS outlook as my email program. What I am wondering when you are on a web page and click a email link, instead of it starting up outlook is it possible to configuer MS XP to open GMail?

Thanks

When you click on a link on a we page it will open your default email program. Therefore you need to be using an email program. As spurious said, you can use Outlook or any email client to collect Gmail and then send from your Gmail account.

Why did you stop using Outlook by the way? And what are you using now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Thanks lads. Spurious thats exactly what I would like to do. KillBill the reason I stopped using Outlook was because I did not realise you could configure Gmail to work through it and partly because I like having my email web based as I use different pc's in different places during the day. IF I configure Gmail with outlook will I still be able to view through the web?.
    Anyway to get started can someone talk me through what settings I need to put in Outlook account options

Thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

cubix wrote:
    IF I configure Gmail with outlook will I still be able to view through the web?.
    Anyway to get started can someone talk me through what settings I need to put in Outlook account options

Thanks

Yep you can still view them through the web. As for the settings, a quick google should sort that.

OK will do;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

cubix wrote:

Thanks

You need to enable POP in your GMail settings (on the GMail website - top right) and when you do, they have a page showing all the settings (Configuration settings) you need to change. If you want to be able to access mail you have received through Outlook Express from another location, you need to tell GMail to keep a copy in its inbox when accessed by POP.
    These are all on the settings page and fairly easy to follow.

In Outlook Express, once you've told GMail to enable POP, you add a new account as normal. The main difference is in the Tools/Accounts/Mail/Properties/Advanced page, which should read (from the top) 465, tick, 995, tick.

Finally go to Outlook Express...Tools/Accounts/Mail and select your GMail account and make it the default. It should now open when you click on a webpage link.
    Come back here if anything goes wrong.

**I just re-read that..god it's so obvious I'm a teacher..lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Thanks for that Spurious and everyone else, seemed to be sorted;)

Cubix

Advertisement