Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice And Help

Options
  • 08-09-2007 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi there,

I am just looking for some advice. I am a Special Needs Assistant with a Diploma in Childcare and Education which was a 2 year full time course. I am looking to further my education but can only do this part time. I was thinking of maybe Primary or Secondary teaching but unsure of the route with the diploma I have already. Has anyone any route or avenues that worked for them(part time). Another option was to become an ABA Tutor but am unsure if need a degree for this. Viewed some websites but unsure here also. If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it as would love to get something underway as soon as possible. Its just good to hear others experiences. Thanking you in advance :D:D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Rosita

Unfortunately, there is no way into teaching without a degree, at least not one that I know of anyway. The Hibernia course for primary teaching might have suited you but is a post-grad course.

An Open University degree through DCU (Oscail) might be a good option. They offer History and Literature among other subjects - the latter I presume would be the equivalent of English in the likes of UCD, as an English degree is in reality a literature degree as opposed to a language degree. If you are Dublin-based there is a BA degree by evening in UCD, or another in UCC if you are in the south and can attend by evening.

Either way it looks like the long haul - maybe four years of a degree but would be worth it if you could manage it and were determined enough. This always seems worse from the outside. It goes quickly enough when you are in there. The one word of advice I would give if you do decide the evening/Open Uni BA route is to be sure to pick subjects which are suitable for teaching. While the History of Art, Greek and Roman Civilisation, or Philosophy are I am sure very interesting, you would do best to stay within the spectrum of English, History, Geography, Maths, Irish, French and Economics, though subjects clashing on the timetable might affect your choice.

If you UCD evening degree is any kind of possibility for you you can PM me if you want more information as I am very familiar with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Rosita wrote:
    An Open University degree through DCU (Oscail) might be a good option.

Just to clarify that the OU and Oscail are two different entities, albeit both as valid as each other. I think you mean a distance learning degree?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Rosita

BuffyBot wrote:
    Just to clarify that the OU and Oscail are two different entities, albeit both as valid as each other. I think you mean a distance learning degree?

Yes I meant open with a small 'o'! As in the type of non-attendance degree available.

In fact now that you mention the Open University itself, that would be another option.

Advertisement