Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats involved in changing CC company?

Options
  • 08-09-2007 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Hello ,I got my first credit card in April 2007.(MBNA)

I recently read a few threads about the high cost of mbna charges ,so I thought maybe I'd change to my own bank for a credit card.

If I was to do this ,is there much trouble in doing so?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Well you don't exactly change from one to the other, you close one and open another. It's relatively easy, though keep in mind you'll have to pay two lots of stamp duty because you had two cards during the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Maybe I should wait till march so.

I plan on having my card cleared by next month ,but what exactly is a balance transfer ?.
    Does your new card company pay your existing ,credit card bill ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,167 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

get a card that offers a balance transfer (most do). the new CC company will transfer any funds owing on the old one automatically to your new card so its as if you've only ever had one card. Often the money transferred to new card will be on new special balance transfer rate e.g. 0% or whatever for 6 months. Just forget about old bills once its done and start paying off new card as normal.

You wouldn't be liable for double stamp duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Thanks sangre:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

when you close the first card account you will be charged the 40 stamp duty for 2007/08. However you can get a letter from MBNA saying you have paid for this period and you will not be charged next april.

• Advertisement
Advertisement