Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painter price

Options
  • 08-09-2007 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

I was thinking about getting a painter in, was wondering if anybody had an idea of what or how they charge. For example how much would a 4x5metre room cost to paint the walls...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Being a painter I have to tell you that it's a "How long is a piece of string" type question...
    It needs to be seen in person, that person needs to know what you want done.
    For instance certain colours/finishes take extra work. Floors or carpets and furniture that need protecting make for extra time and thus price. There may be a lot of prep in your particular room. New plaster? Wood work to mask off, etc etc.
    The best piece of advice I can give is to get 2-3 guys and get them to give you some prices (do not feel obligated) and post back.

Really, everytime this question comes up, people think it's just a matter of opening a tin of emulsion and firing it on...there's more to it than that, if you want a good end result.
    Some decorators will have rates by area, others will estimate the time required and work on an hourly rate....the two pirces shouldn't be that far apart for soemthing like one room...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RekcaH

Yeah.. im aware of what you talking about wertz.
    I was never expecting an exact quote, just a rough guess really just so I have something to work of. So basically what someone else was charged for a job they got done. More or less to see if its realistic to get done within my means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Okay assuming the walls are in reasonable nick and don't need a lot of prep, just mask up skirtings/frames/sockets, cut and roll 2 coats of midsheen white-based colour onto the walls of a 4*5m room, personally I would charge about €160-200 inc paint and materials. That would be a cash price and I'm not VAT registered, so you can add maybe another 30-35% to that price if you get a registered company/contractor in to do it. There's really only 4-5 hours work involved and drying time which equates to a day for one man.
    That said, I'm not Dublin based so rates will most likely differ in the city... There are loads of other factors that may effect the price too; for instance if you were getting a number of rooms done then the price per room will fall since the decorator would have other work to do whilst things dried. However smaller rooms (especially en suites or cubby holes) can take as long as a large room to get coated so they'll be charged the same or similar to the rate for a larger room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RekcaH

Thank you kindly, thats all that wanted.

Advertisement