Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Dublin Bus Horror Stories here !

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Wheelchairs should have preference over buggies.

In finland a parent with a buggy travels for free (as does child) so they can enter by the middle doors on bus and trams. I think this is a great system, especially for women with a buggy and a bawling toddler rooting through her purse for cents. Did it not occur to her to have this money already? Why don't women like this buy bus cards?

anyway, they should travel for free to save everyone the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

a friend of mine moved to dublin recently, she was headin into the city centre on a bus and in passing asked the driver did he know what no. bus goes to ballyfermot cause she needed to head out there to which he replied "get a ****ing map"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Wheelchairs should have preference over buggies.

In finland a parent with a buggy travels for free (as does child) so they can enter by the middle doors on bus and trams. I think this is a great system, especially for women with a buggy and a bawling toddler rooting through her purse for cents. Did it not occur to her to have this money already? Why don't women like this buy bus cards?

anyway, they should travel for free to save everyone the hassle.

She had paid and was on the bus for 4 or 5 stops before being asked to get off. She couldn't fold the buggy as she was on her own with 2 newborns. She had already paid the fare, not the wheelchair user and was not refunded.
    The space where in question, specifically has a sign stating that it is for either a wheelchair user OR a pram.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

I was in America for 3 months and I just arrived back at Dublin Airport. It was a sunday.

I had a backpack and it was obvious I had been out of the country. I could of been a tourist.

This was back in the days when you paid the driver and he gave you change.

So I handed the driver a ten pound note. It was all the Irish money I had.

The bus driver yelled at me to **** OFF.

So I had to get off the bus, get some change and wait for an hour for the next bus.

I thought wow, tourists must get a real friendly introduction to Ireland with that kind of attitude.

Remember this was the old days when the driver had a till and paid you your change. It's not like now.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

lucozader wrote:
    buses05a.jpg

I was told to get the F*** off the bus about 2 miles from my house. Even though the bus route went right past my house.

The bus driver said he was hungry and pulled up outside the chipper, so everyone had to walk home in the rain.

I love how the dublin bus drivers put their customers first

If thats true then complain to Dublin Bus not on Boards.ie! There is no point in complaing on a website, if you want to make a change complain to the people who can do something!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Thaedydal wrote:
    It was stated that it was a double buggy with two children and most of them can not be folded.

I have 3 young kids and have had 2 or 3 double buggy's all of them folded,in fact the new one is great it folds better than the single one we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Love2love wrote:
    She had paid and was on the bus for 4 or 5 stops before being asked to get off. She couldn't fold the buggy as she was on her own with 2 newborns. She had already paid the fare, not the wheelchair user and was not refunded.
    The space where in question, specifically has a sign stating that it is for either a wheelchair user OR a pram.

From www.dublinbus.ie/

ON THE BUS

Every accessible bus has one priority space. This space is allocated for a wheelchair user and may also be used for a buggy. Only one wheelchair or buggy may occupy this space. Brakes should be applied on your wheelchair.
    When a buggy is occupying this space, the child will be left in the buggy and the buggy's brakes should be applied. The parent or guardian should either sit or stand with the buggy. In the event of any difficulty please inform the driver.
    Once the space has been occupied, a customer who wishes to board the bus with a further buggy must remove their child from their buggy and stow the buggy away safely.
    If you are visually impaired or are unsure that the bus is the correct one, ask the driver and he will be pleased to assist you with your inquiries
    Guide dogs are allowed on all buses. Please note guide dogs should not be petted by anyone other than the owner.

My interpretation of the above is that the wheelchair has priority over a buggy.

(It could be argued that most wheelchair-bound passengers don't have a choice about being in a wheelchair. Most parents decide to have children.)

From www.dublinbus.ie/

ON THE BUS

Every accessible bus has one priority space. This space is allocated for a wheelchair user and may also be used for a buggy. Only one wheelchair or buggy may occupy this space. Brakes should be applied on your wheelchair.
    When a buggy is occupying this space, the child will be left in the buggy and the buggy's brakes should be applied. The parent or guardian should either sit or stand with the buggy. In the event of any difficulty please inform the driver.
    Once the space has been occupied, a customer who wishes to board the bus with a further buggy must remove their child from their buggy and stow the buggy away safely.
    If you are visually impaired or are unsure that the bus is the correct one, ask the driver and he will be pleased to assist you with your inquiries
    Guide dogs are allowed on all buses. Please note guide dogs should not be petted by anyone other than the owner.

My interpretation of the above is that the wheelchair has priority over a buggy.

(It could be argued that most wheelchair-bound passengers don't have a choice about being in a wheelchair. Most parents decide to have children.)

There is nothing in the above text that states that a wheelchair user specifically has priority, (this is only an interpretation), especially over someone who has already paid the fare. Surely the woman has the right to the journey that she has already paid?
    And if one can argue choosing kids over the choice to be wheelchair bound, surely one could argue that it doesn't specifically say wheelchair user have priority???

Love2love wrote:
    There is nothing in the above text that states that a wheelchair user has priority, (this is only you interpretation), especially over someone who has already paid the fare. Surely the woman has the right to the journey that she has already paid?
    WheelchairSpaceSign.jpg

(Picture courtesy of Victor!)

WheelchairSpaceSign.jpg

(Picture courtesy of Victor!)

Ok I stand corrected but this woman had already paid the fare so she should be able to continue her journey, no? After all, if there was already a wheelchair on the bus, he would have to refuse the other, no?

• Advertisement

Love2love wrote:
    Ok I stand corrected but this woman had already paid the fare so she should be able to continue her journey, no? After all, if there was already a wheelchair on the bus, he would have to refuse the other, no?
    I presume she would have been able to get another bus without further charge. Isn't there some sort of special ticket for that?

Sometimes passengers get on the wrong bus and only realise later. I've seen drivers radio control and ask that they contact a driver/s on the correct route/bus and request that they 'look out' for the dropped passengers and not to charge them anything further. I've also seen drivers flag down buses going in the opposite direction to transfer passengers who have discovered that thay are going in the wrong direction.

I presume she would have been able to get another bus without further charge. Isn't there some sort of special ticket for that?

Sometimes passengers get on the wrong bus and only realise later. I've seen drivers radio control and ask that they contact a driver/s on the correct route/bus and request that they 'look out' for the dropped passengers and not to charge them anything further. I've also seen drivers flag down buses going in the opposite direction to transfer passengers who have discovered that thay are going in the wrong direction.

Eh no she wasn't because she told the driver that she was had to let 2 buses pass because there was already buggies on them and that she was waiting over an hour but he wouldn't give in so she told she was putting a complaint in about him so he told her to get the **** off the bus. If this was so easy to get another bus free of charge, why could the driver tell the WC user that there is another bus on the way and radio the next one and tell him not to allow any buggy users on? And one could alway argue that the woman paid a fare (even if she didnt for the children) and the WC user doesn't.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Love2love wrote:
    And one could alway argue that the woman paid a fare (even if she didnt for the children) and the WC user doesn't.

One could also argue that the Department of Social Welfare pay a huge check to CIE for the Disability/OAP passes.So both paid a fare,but its silly to argue about who paid or who did not pay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

ok not to be awkward BUT, what if there is no buggy on the bus but its full anyway? Ive never seen or heard of a driver bootin anyone off to let a wheelchair on?

In fact ive seen the driver (and luas driver too!) sayin "sorry we're full" and not let them on when the bus was full.

Either way, what this thread highlights is that people arent complaining. Dublin Bus take all complaints very seriously (unlike irish rail) and anyone who didnt report any of their stories on this thread has me flabbergasted!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,877 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I actually thought this thread was gonna be about other passengers and not DB drivers!!!

Very little against DB drivers (especially compared to fuking taxi drivers-high %age of kunts).

I've seen DB drivers attacked, stop to let punters off for a puke and then wait for them to get back on again, put up with all sorts of shyte on the Nitelink, and one DB driver who regularly goes upstairs on the Nitelink to wake customers up so they don't miss their stop.

I pretty much think they're a sound bunch especially compared to the scum using the buses who think it's obligatory to smoke (anything and everything), deal drugs, talk very loud on their phone about getting their hole the night before, and piss on the floor halfway into town.

Worst routes (I've been on):77 and 78A.

Best DB story:Nitelink home one night and two blokes beside me arguing over whether their (female) mate's mother fuked off with the milkman or postman. Halfway home, their mate wakes up, pukes on himself and goes back asleep. The lads then take out their phones and start snapping their mate covered in his own puke. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Zebra3 wrote:
    Worst routes (I've been on):77 and 78A.
    Yeah, I've heard they are bad alright, never been on one though.

The worst route I've been on is the 27. Full of scum at all hours of the day and night. The drivers don't give a toss.

Oh, the 17A is bad too, if it decides to turn up that is. Sometimes I wait on the Oscar Traynor Rd heading to Ballymun for over an hour for one to come, and they are scheduled every twenty minutes or half hour.

And the 127 is the most unreliable service in the city. One day it came down past Grafton Street, so I ran to get it, but it never stopped at the stop it was meant to stop at. It pulled out into the traffic to pass the other busses at the stop, and there were only about ten or twelve passangers on it. My sister was at the stop at the time, waiting. Idiot driver.

DesF wrote:
    And the 127 is the most unreliable service in the city. One day it came down past Grafton Street, so I ran to get it, but it never stopped at the stop it was meant to stop at. It pulled out into the traffic to pass the other busses at the stop, and there were only about ten or twelve passangers on it. My sister was at the stop at the time, waiting. Idiot driver.
    Did she make a complaint? There may have been a valid reason for the driver not to stop. Sometimes, for operational reasons, drivers are instructed via radio by the controller, to pass certain stops. If you or your sister had made an official complaint any such operational reasons would be made known to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

What route was that on?

I remember last summer some day at 6pm they got rid of all the 15/a/b/c buses and put them directly across the other side of the Liffey bringing people up to Marlay park at €10 return. There was mayhem as all the people who rely on the 15 services to south dublin had to find alternative arrangments. I got home at 9pm from work that day.

Thanks dublin bus, rot in hell.

That is actually unbelievable, ...regular fare paying customers have to find alternative routes home, while the concert goers pay 10 euro to marley park on a dublin bus!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

DesF wrote:
    The worst route I've been on is the 27. Full of scum at all hours of the day and night. The drivers don't give a toss.

Oh, the 17A is bad too, if it decides to turn up that is. Sometimes I wait on the Oscar Traynor Rd heading to Ballymun for over an hour for one to come, and they are scheduled every twenty minutes or half hour.

Keep the garages number on your mobile and if the buses don't show ring them up and see what the story is.

I had one controller get on the radio to find out where the driver was, only to be told by the driver that he had just gone past our stop. I said he hadnt unless he was driving the special invisible bus and the controller said he could only go on what the driver tells him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Did she make a complaint? There may have been a valid reason for the driver not to stop. Sometimes, for operational reasons, drivers are instructed via radio by the controller, to pass certain stops. If you or your sister had made an official complaint any such operational reasons would be made known to her.

Coincidence, this one. Same bus route...127. GF used to get on somewhere on south of river and I would meet her on it at Amiens Street. I see bus, extend arm and driver pulls out to overtake another stopped bus and keeps going. Girlfriend complains to driver whop shrugs hid shoulders and ignores her and she has to get off at next stop to meet me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Love2love wrote:
    I was on the bus a couple of weeks back and there was already a women with a double buggy on it so I folded up my own and carried my son on. Anyway a few stops later a wheelchair wants to get on so the bus driver threw the woman with the double buggy off..... Now that is not right.

Sorry, but IT IS right, the area is wheelchair priority. And I'd like to point out that most people who are in wheelchairs are in it through no fault of their own (with the exception of that Australian idiot who encountered a venomous snake 'i picked it up with my left hand because I was holding a beer in my right hand'. He substained so many bites that his arm had to be amputated and it also damaged his nervous system), most parents make the choice to have children. I'm pregnant with my first child and I unlike some people I've encountered, I don't think that motherhood will elevate me above other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

One time, about 5 years ago, I was getting the bus into town from Skerries. In Swords a guy was getting on, still smoking a cigarette, and he was clearly out of it. The driver made him get rid of the cigarette and then he went upstairs. I was standing up to get off at Dorset St and my friend pulled me to sit down. When I looked up I saw the guy had just come down the stairs and his hands were covered in blood.
    When I got off at the next stop the driver was contacting someone to tell them but I have absolutely no idea what happened.

On a side note, I still wasn't used to predictive text messaging and was wondering why a text to a friend hadn't provoked an instant reaction. Until I realised I had sent some garbled message about a man on the cup with alone on this hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

rough stuff

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

DesF wrote:

The 17a is without a shadow of a doubt the worst bus route in Dublin.I used to work on santry avenue and get my bus from Mellowes road in finglas.I'd leave my house at 8 am and the travel time is about 20 minutes.Sometimes i'd be waiting 50+ minutes on a bus,other times much longer.The favourite trick of the 17a woud be no buses for an hour or more then suddenly three would come together.I was constantly late for work and i complained hundreds of times to Dublin Bus and they'd do nothing.Somebody told me the 17a drivers would deliberatly do this to completely fill one bus then the other two could head off on thier break or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 MrRobert87

I'm glad this thread came up.

Last Tuesday morning I was unfortunate enough to be on the bus of a very bitter and unfriendly bus driver (number 19 coming from the North side.) I exited the bus at D'Olier street. On exiting I realised I had left my phone on the bus. Just as the doors were closing I signalled to the bus driver. Making phone gestures and pointing upstairs. He noted this and continued on. On seeing this I sprinted to the next stop located on Dame street. Just as the bus was leaving Dame street I reached it and banged on the doors, once again making the phone sign and pointing upstairs. He signalled that he was going to stop at the next stop. I was then forced to run to the next stop... Had I not been a fit young lad I'd have had no chance of keeping up. Anyways, I finally caught up where the bus driver who had had the "decency" of waiting for me to board and collect my phone. As I boarded I was angrily told by the bus driver that I should "never ever bang on the bus as it was moving." This caused me to lose my top, having just sprinted to catch up with this bus for 2 stops, when on two occasions he could have let me on to the bus to collect my phone. Unfortunately the next 2 minutes saw us have a very loud argument, something I'm not proud of and the sole reason that has prevented me from reporting the incident.

I was just hit by this bus drivers lack of helpfulness. He knew I had left my phone but was not prepared to stop at 2 bus stops to allow me to collect it, despite seeing me sprinting behind it. In addition he felt it necessary to bollock me for attempting to retrieve my phone. This is by no means a dig at all bus drivers. This fella was just a prick without any decency or care for other's problems. It left me wondering what has happened to Ireland's once admired friendliness..

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

The 77 is the bus from hell. Everyday there are scumbags down the pack upstair smoking. The driver never ever makes a non-smoking announcement. No one would dare stand up to them as it is risking being atacked. While on the bus yesterday there were two scumbags giving racial abuse two anyone who was foregin. I was disgusted. But what can you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

qwert2 wrote:
    While on the bus yesterday there were two scumbags giving racial abuse two anyone who was foregin. I was disgusted. But what can you do?
    I'm going to speak up for a Dublin Bus driver here.

I was on the 42 or 43 one evening, and some drunken asshole was abusing a group of Polish lads. "Comin heyer and doin jobs for low pay, yizzer roonin the cuh-ntry yiz aare, fookin baasturds" and on and on and on.

The driver got on the PA and told him to STFU "with his shíte" or else get off the bus.

Everyone else on the bus then started clapping and the fecker got off at the next stop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I was coming home the other night and there was about ten young ones variously spray painting and writing on the bus with markers.I told them to have some ****ing respect for public property and that it would cost,me,the taxpayer money to clean the bus up.I was told in no uncertain terms to mind my own business and became upset as a result,telling the birds it was my fcucking business,that they should be banned from the bus for life and that they werent "gangsters" as they seemed to think but abunch of ill-brought up fools.They eventually came round to my way of thinking and ended up being less difficult but one or two were still giving me shiit when they got off.The point is if you feel like saying something,go ahead and do it,if these assholes get away with it time and agin they'll think they're untouchable.Gilrs are the mouthiest by far and most of the blokes are only icecreams..its all on the outside and they melt if they get any heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

DesF wrote:

The 27 is a really scary experience a good few scumbags on the upper deck (had to go upstairs a few time as no standing roo down stairs - head was woozy as a result). Glad i've moved from Darndale and now have a very pleasant journty on a 43, 42, or 130.

Must say the drivers on the 130 and the 43 are really pleasant. to prove my point:
    Last Christmas i was shopping in town, had about 6 useless paper bags of stuff and it started to p*ss rain. The driver on the 130 was kind enough to wait until i had all my stuff on the bus. Lived a 15 min walk frm Abbey St but there was no way i could walk as the bags has disentegrated in the rain. I won't forget his kindness. There not all bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

GRRRRR I hate that 130 bus - comes every 7 mins or so :mad: :(

Advertisement