Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your Dublin Bus Horror Stories here !

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Demonique wrote: »
    Sorry, but IT IS right, the area is wheelchair priority. And I'd like to point out that most people who are in wheelchairs are in it through no fault of their own (with the exception of that Australian idiot who encountered a venomous snake 'i picked it up with my left hand because I was holding a beer in my right hand'. He substained so many bites that his arm had to be amputated and it also damaged his nervous system), most parents make the choice to have children. I'm pregnant with my first child and I unlike some people I've encountered, I don't think that motherhood will elevate me above other people.

You'll understand when you have a screaming baby how elevation really works. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Degsy wrote: »
    #
    Does the 29a not go up the grange road to sutton cross?Thats near enough to clare hall..

No The 29A is on the far side of clarehall at donaghmede. I suspect the other poster was talking about the clarehall shoppig centre on the malahide road. Also the 29A goes nowhere near sutton cross and the closest it comes to the coast road is at kilbarrack fire brigade station or when it exits the howth road and hits fairview.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Maybe already posted somewhere, but a horror story of a different sort. Last week some day at about 4.30pm, a 66A managed to block the whole southbound section of O'Connell bridge.

Needless to say O'Connell street was a complete disaster with buses eventually being shoved left to loop around the quays.

3 conductors and 3 traffic cops could do little but wait for a tow truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

My experiences:

I was waiting for a bus at Donnybrook, got on it, or more like made an attempt to get on it, as when I reached the platform, the Bus driver closed the doors. I had to hop off it. Now, I wouldn't have minded if he re-opened the doors, but instead this complete twat drives off, it was rather simulataneous, doors close, and off he goes.

And I don't think he didn't see me, I mean is it possible to not see something hop on, close the doors and drive off? In any case he should have been looking

This then happened to me again some other time. Got onto the bus only for the doors to be closed on me. My feet stopped it and it reopened. As I walked up to put my money in, he starts whistling as if nothing had happened!
    I just looked at him and mumbled thanks. I mean, seriously...

The service is general is rubbish, when you're looking at reliabilty.
    Bus drivers, you'll get some nice ones, you'll get some obnoxious ones, is to be expected really.

Sounds to me like youve tried to board a bus not at a stop but actually at the driver hand over point, in which case would explain why the driver didnt pick you up and drove off, he could have been told to operate out of service after he takes up due to late hand over.
    You say reliability is rubbish, well if you think its bad in Donnybrook all I can say is you need to take of them rose tinted glasses and open your eyes, or are you one of these passengers that let all city center buses pass by while you wait for a 46A? in which case reliability can be pretty bad alright, think it's one bus every 10 mins off peak and up to 2/3 mins peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,862 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

spareman wrote: »
    Sounds to me like youve tried to board a bus not at a stop but actually at the driver hand over point, in which case would explain why the driver didnt pick you up and drove off, he could have been told to operate out of service after he takes up due to late hand over.
    I think you're missing the point. Whilst that may indeed have been the reason, how on earth is an intending passenger meant to know that? All they see is a bus that seems to be in service and which just drives past them.

It's a bit unreasonable to expect the public to be aware of DB's internal scheduling arrangements now, such as the ridiculous pauses mid-route at Parnell Square to handover to another driver - why can't this be done at either terminus? And please don't give me some unionised working hours rubbish as this doesn't qualify as a legitimate reason in my book.

But then that's part of the whole problem isn't it? DB runs its services to suit itself and its union staff. The passengers, if they figure at all, come dead last every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I have to get the 78A to and from town every day and it is the worst bus in Dublin

the people on it are completely disgusting, have no manners and the windows are regularly broken

I've no complaints about the drivers though, sound bunch of lads altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

spareman wrote: »
    You say reliability is rubbish, well if you think its bad in Donnybrook all I can say is you need to take of them rose tinted glasses and open your eyes, or are you one of these passengers that let all city center buses pass by while you wait for a 46A? in which case reliability can be pretty bad alright, think it's one bus every 10 mins off peak and up to 2/3 mins peak.

Oh he had stopped, a women was in front of me. Also, it wasn't a changeover point, I know drivers change at the garage, but this bus was heading away from town not towards it.

As for the reliability, I'm quite happy with the 46A service, no complaints, 145, which is the one preferable to me, not bad, could be better sometimes, I am talking about other routes, 46A is exceptional however.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cruibin

cast_iron wrote: »
    Maybe already posted somewhere, but a horror story of a different sort. Last week some day at about 4.30pm, a 66A managed to block the whole southbound section of O'Connell bridge.

Needless to say O'Connell street was a complete disaster with buses eventually being shoved left to loop around the quays.

3 conductors and 3 traffic cops could do little but wait for a tow truck.

That was last thurday, I ended up walking from the Mater to the quays to get a bus!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

That does sound a disaster lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

goz83 wrote: »
    No The 29A is on the far side of clarehall at donaghmede. I suspect the other poster was talking about the clarehall shoppig centre on the malahide road. Also the 29A goes nowhere near sutton cross and the closest it comes to the coast road is at kilbarrack fire brigade station or when it exits the howth road and hits fairview.

My bad..i meant newgrove cross

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 TommyShannon

phasers wrote: »
    I have to get the 78A to and from town every day and it is the worst bus in Dublin

the people on it are completely disgusting, have no manners and the windows are regularly broken

I've no complaints about the drivers though, sound bunch of lads altogether

Agreed, 78A drivers have to be the best drivers in Dublin Bus, how they put up with the ****e is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

Ok I only read the first page about people believing the op about bus drivers going to the chipper! Well beleive it! On the 46a granted its been a few years but they used to stop mostly on a thursday,friday and saturday evening from about 6-9 every week at marios in monkstown. Most of the time they would just get a bag of chips and they'd be in and out in 30 seconds, but i remember one time i was in getting some chips and a driver pulled up his bus and it was probably about 1/3 full he ordered a snack box and a few other things took about ten mins and those people were not happy!!!

Another story again on the 46A was in the Q at dun laoghaire and an old woman came up so i let her on in front of me then i went to step on and the bus driver went to close the door so i stopped him as i had one leg on the step and he went mental and said he's call the cops if i didnt f*ck off! I took the reg and rang dublin bus doubt they did anything though!

And finally one more story! A hero 46a bus driver! Again got on in dun laoaghaire and 2 kids about 10 i'd say got on and went upstairs as did a elderly man, about 60 or so. So a few stops up the road the kids coming jumping down the stairs tears from their faces the bus driver asked what was going on and they said the old man upstairs got his knob out and tried to get them to touch it so the bus driver who wasnt exactly a spring chicken himself leapt up the stairs and i mean it looked like he choke slammed this pervert down the stairs and held him on the ground til the cops arrived ( this was about 10 years ago before we sued people for looking at you the wrong way!)
    Then proceeded to jump back into his cheap and continued on his merry way. Fair play to him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

I woke up on a bus upstairs at the front in complete darkness. Bouncing around the bus was tearing down some country road. Nitelink on the way to start an early inbound service. Freaked out didn't know where I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ok I only read the first page about people believing the op about bus drivers going to the chipper! Well beleive it!
    Your scenario is totally different. The reason that people may find it difficult to believe the OPs story is that he claims the driver was hungry and terminated the journey at the chip shop and made everyone walk home. :rolleyes:

A driver stopping for refreshments and then continuing the journey is entirely believeable. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭barclay2

the worst thing about Dublin Bus is that sense that they just dont give a ****. they know they're the only bus company, people need to use the bus, and we'll always have to come crawling back each day, no matter how crap their service was yesterday. And when they're unhappy with their situation, they can just call a strike and bring the rest of the city to a halt.

Some competition in the bus market ought would sort them out, if its ever made a reality. Sadly i dont see it happening anytime soon, cos SIPTU would kick up a stink and no government ever likes that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

Collie D wrote: »
    Name and shame. What route was that? Get straight onto Head Offie on Monday morning. That is well out of order. Some drivers are extremely ill-mannered ass-holes who don't undrstand the concept of customer service. Did everyone leave without a fuss?

yea your right its about time we stood up for our selfs its terrible the way the common joe on the street are treated lets name and shame these dick heads bus men and taxi men wow dont get me started on them ..:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Collie D wrote: »
    Name and shame. What route was that? Get straight onto Head Offie on Monday morning. That is well out of order. Some drivers are extremely ill-mannered ass-holes who don't undrstand the concept of customer service. Did everyone leave without a fuss?
    You could write a hardback book on the history of ill-mannered ass-hole dublin bus drivers who have treated the public with contempt but it would be a waste of more of the earths natural resorces :ie paper .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

*BUMP*

Was on the no. 3 just before O'Connell Street yesterday when the driver changeover was happening. I was always find it a pain in the arse when the drivers have to swap over in the middle of the journey. Anyway, the new driver gets on, makes a phone call either to his mate or his mother asking where is the cheapest and best place to get a box of chocolates in town. After 5 mins or so he finally decides to hang up. Then the driver contacts the head office or whatever asking was this bus going to UCD or Sandymount. So after about 15/20 mins we set off on our journey once again. Idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ion c

A few thing i have to bitch about guys.

It seems a lot of the AJH types that enjoy walking around like a "nike" billboard have a problem with earphones because they sit on this bus with either **** hiphop/dance blareing on their 70e mobiles. I mean WFT! use the earphones you got with the farking phone!
    Bus changeovers do my head in! the 11 buses are some of the worst as they are always late to change.

One thing that really pisses me off is when the bus drives past ya packed on the bottom level but with loads of seats on the top. Do the drivers use those cameras/mirrors for looking upstairs at all?

Finally often on my way to ice hockey training in the evening (i get a bus to the airport from drumcondra) i get told i can't get on a bus because my gear bag is too big, and those are the busses designed to take people up to the airport....

Another thing ever notice that when you are waiting for a bus on drumcondra road more of those airlink **** pieces drive by with 5 people on them than proper routes? i wonder why DB keeps em going, probably because they charge 6e for one journey.

Advertisement