Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another boy drops dead

• 08-09-2007 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭

This is the fourth lad after dropping dead on a GAA pitch..

Whats going on?

Rare heart condition is whats being said but wtf?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Really is frightening.

My heart goes out to the families.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Clearly there is a serial killer about and they are coating the slitars and gaa fotoballs in contact poison and it would appear to be digitalis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Thats real funny ... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If you wanted sobriety AH was not the place to come to. :rolleyes:

Well show me the death forum then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Steez

There's a spirituality forum? I personally think it's gotta be Freddy Cruger

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Its really strange - all four lads lived fairly close did they - two from one county and two from another?

I wonder if they are all linked..not a serial killer or anything like that, but something they have ate/drank taken?

Hmmm...just seems too much of a coincidence!

I really feel for the families tho :( Its really awful

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 290 ✭✭Tak3n

Aids sucks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

yeah, close. 2 from westmeath (1 Athlone[Marist College] and 1 Moate [MCS]) and 2 from Tyrone, also heard about 2 others.. 6 this week :/

I had the lovely grace of being <5ft from the guy in MCS when he collapsed. Fun day...:rolleyes:

and re: Thaed, we were playing basketball, so neh! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

yeah, close. 2 from westmeath (1 Athlone[Marist College] and 1 Moate [MCS]) and 2 from Tyrone, also heard about 2 others.. 6 this week :/

I had the lovely grace of being <5ft from the guy in MCS when he collapsed. Fun day...:rolleyes:

and re: Thaed, we were playing basketball, so neh! :p
    Sorry about that :(

Its really ****..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Isn't there a virus you can contract that affects the heart but might not kick in for many years? My da has something similar.

Oddly enough i had a teacher from tyrone (dead now, god rest him) who told us he once had a young fella die while he was training a school hurling team. I'm pretty sure that was up in tyrone but it could have happened a long, long time ago.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I blame Challengemaster.....

But in all seriousness this is very sad and strange :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I really shouldn't laugh, but putting that "Another One Bites the Dust" clip makes me laugh a lot :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

Avns1s wrote:
    My heart goes out to the families.

Unfortunate choice of expression given the likely cause of death.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

it has to be more than just mere coincidence

i wonder have these "high energy glucose" drinks have anything to do with these types of cases

post mortem for Tony parker [MCS] showed up inconclusive.. no (visable) problems in either the heart or brain... anyone know the other PM results?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

This really scares me..

Unfortunately, some people are born with minor heart conditions that go undetected. Its not uncommon for young people to die suddenly, there is a condition called SADS

A contributory factor may be the lack of exercise many children get these days, therefore they are so unfit that any sudden physical exercise may cause this heart condition to "flare up" with catastrophic results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Indeed.

• Advertisement

waffle....waffle...mistypedwaffle....waffle...wafflwaffle...waffle....sjfjsdjfsdf....waffle....sdisidv....waffl....Greek...wafflewafflywaffle...waffle...i dont no nuthin...wafffle...

well that made ****-all sense.

regards the lack of exercise theory by dolanbaker, 2 were on GAA pitches training.. one was at lunch time in a yard and another during PE. the guy in my school did PE last year and kept about the same as everyone else in the year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

philstar wrote:
    it has to be more than just mere coincidence

i wonder have these "high energy glucose" drinks have anything to do with these types of cases

Didn't a basketball player die a few years back and Red Bull was suspected as the cause?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

This is why I don't do any exercise........

Seriously though, that's really sad. Making the effort to keep healthy and this is what comes of it :(

regards the lack of exercise theory by dolanbaker, 2 were on GAA pitches training.. one was at lunch time in a yard and another during PE. the guy in my school did PE last year and kept about the same as everyone else in the year...

Point taken, I was thinking along the lines that they did no exercise at all during the summer months and the sudden start of training may have triggered it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

DaveMcG wrote:
    This is why I don't do any exercise........

Seriously though, that's really sad. Making the effort to keep healthy and this is what comes of it :(

Yeah, it's kind of tragically ironic. They seem to be otherwise healthy kids. And then there's the likes of Cormac McAnallen, Marc Vivien Foe(unsure of name?), that Sevilla player...all young superfit, athletes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

A friend of mine dropped dead skiing a few years back. She was as fit as a fiddle, kayaked, skied, played several team sports well though not to the point of obsession, didn't smoke, hardly drank at all ...
    philstar wrote:
    ... thought Red Bull etc. were "chemical poison" and wouldn't touch them.

They reckoned it was an aneurism, that there may have been some slight weakness present from birth, and that the cold and the exertion had triggered it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

When i heard about the second death it scared the s*** out of me, cuz that morning myself and my brother were talking about how sudden deaths like these would be examined in some way if another one followed in a short timeframe.

It's not completely unheard of for this to happen, but four in the one week? Something's amiss there...

few other weird things like that happened. in my school, the day prior, religion class (first day). teacher was explaining the schedule/course for the year. she then went on to say 'However, if something were to happen tomorrow which effects everyone of us.. *gives example* then obviously we'd take time out to talk about it and discuss it and...'

and on the day, around the exact time it happened, one of the other fifth year classes had english.. they were discussing sudden deaths in that class...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

micmclo wrote:
    Didn't a basketball player die a few years back and Red Bull was suspected as the cause?

in 2000 Ross Cooney, 18, died after he had four cans of Red Bull and played in a basketball match. the inquest said Sudden Adult Death Syndrome.

The french and danish have banned Red Bull sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Folks, kindly show a little respect.

stewiegriffin08: What The ****? Just...what...the...****?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭watsgone

Very sad times indeed. My thoughts are with the family.

On a related note, how many people out there know how to perform CPR to keep someone's brain and organs going at least till the ambulance comes.
    It should be manadtory in every school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Excellent point there watsgone.
    To be fair, first aid is covered in a lot of courses that coaches do when they are getting your qualification.

You're right, it wouldn't be hard to get the Order of Malta into schools and run courses over a few weeks. It's an important skill to have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Warning: I've been drinking (and I've also not read the full thread, but this has been getting to me...).

OK, is it just me or has AH suddentlly become a place of no morals? OK, it's not taken as seriously as some of the other forums, and it is the more casual forum with regards to the rest, but this is not fucking /b/ have some common decency, you don't have to rip the ****e out of every topic.

It's very sad to hear about these young healthy kids dropping dead for no reason and my heart goes out to the family. There are plenty of other threads to joke around in, take a walk.

Warning: I've been drinking (and I've also not read the full thread, but this has been getting to me...).

OK, is it just me or has AH suddentlly become a place of no morals? OK, it's not taken as seriously as some of the other forums, and it is the more casual forum with regards to the rest, but this is not fucking /b/ have some common decency, you don't have to rip the ****e out of every topic.

It's very sad to hear about these young healthy kids dropping dead for no reason and my heart goes out to the family. There are plenty of other threads to joke around in, take a walk.

Well over the past few months I've noticed every day general threads in here, common talk if you like, so thats why I posted in here :)

However, you'll always get the 3 or 4 who will try to showcase their Dublin 4 humour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

A mere four posts before tihs:
    Karoma wrote:
    Folks, kindly show a little respect.
    One of the benefits of reading the full thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Only one of the four boys has been confirmed with a heart condition. That was the ten year old boy in Tyrone!

Tony Parker from Moate - Nothing showed up on the Post Mortom (he is my cousin)

First aid was the obvious course of action to take, a local doctor also came to the scene while waiting for the ambulance to come!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Unfortunately, some people are born with minor heart conditions that go undetected. Its not uncommon for young people to die suddenly, there is a condition called SADS
    On the contrary, it is extremely uncommon for young people to die suddenly. If it was not it wouldn't be making national headlines. The fact that they are all dying around the same time in geographically diverse locations would seem to rule out congenital defects. What I find most interesting about this situations is:
    • All of those who died are of the same age group, young and healthy.
    • All of those who died did so suddenly with no prior warning, and no apparent reason.
    • They are all dying around the same few weeks.
    Put these together and you have a very, very strange situation indeed. Has anyone got any more information as to what if any connection these might have?

Possibilities I can come up with:
    Contagion:
    Some unknown disease or virus, or a known one that hasn't yet been identified. I find this unlikely, since viral or bacterial infections work in clusters; you have a grouping of two or more in one area, and then a more dispersed pattern located around them, generally on travel routes, which is not the case here.

In most naturally occurring outbreaks, numbers of cases gradually increase as a progressively larger number of people come in contact with other patients, fomites, and vectors that can spread disease.

This is also unlikely because of the general health of the people dying, and the lack of other symptoms, unless a virus has popped up which kills with no warning after incubation, targeting the young and healthy.

It is not, however, impossible.

Chemical exposure:
    Either something they ate or drank, or otherwise exposure to dangerous chemicals (possibly narcotics). This would require an investigation into their personal lives and habits. Were they all at the same summer camp or something together?

Congenital defects:
    As I already mentioned, that is unlikely purely due to the timing, but perhaps all of their mothers gave birth at the same hospital or something like that, and were exposed to an unpleasant chemical of some sort by accident?

Malice:
    Someone is somehow killing them, for whatever reason, as horrifying as that may seem.

The authorities have to track the connections between these young people in order to find out whats going on. This is extremely nasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Agreed. I popped my head into the Madeleine McCann thread the other day and it's pretty sick. Whether her parents are guilty or not, a 4 year old girl is missing/presumed dead and it's full of a bunch of people trying to out do each other with 'witty' comments. Is getting a 'LOL' the highlight of people's days?

How anybody can post 'Another One Bites The Dust' in a thread about a child dying is sickening. That's not even taking into account the full possibility that members of the child's family, friends and community may be on this board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Jesus, I know it's afterhours, but have some fuking respect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Exit wrote:
    That's not even taking into account the full possibility that members of the child's family, friends and community may be on this board.

As I already said Tony Parker is my cousin!!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

The fact that they are all dying around the same time in geographically diverse locations would seem to rule out congenital defects. What I find most interesting about this situations is:

[/LIST]
    Put these together and you have a very, very strange situation indeed. Has anyone got any more information as to what if any connection these might have?

The authorities have to track the connections between these young people in order to find out whats going on. This is extremely nasty.

your first point makes no sense to me- the fact that they are in geographically diverse locations does not at all make a congenital defect unlikely. the occurence of these defects in 1 in xx no of births, (ive no idea what figure actually is) but i cant see why you think diverse locations outrules this. its totally possible that one kid in tyrone and one in ?westmeath and one in whereever else all had these defects

re your other points, there doesnt "have" to be a conspiracy that the authorities "have" to investigate. these may all just be separate tragedies, indeed thats what is most likely. the timimg of all the deaths may be pure coincidence and does not automatically indicate something sinister

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

philstar wrote:

Well if they do I'll be following these unfortuante people soon. Actually, come to think about it, every so often it feels as if something is wrong with my heart. Water it is now, and only.

This spate of cardiac problems is awful. It is kinda scary aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Let me assure you that there was no pun or anything else intended by this comment, just genuine sympathy.

My first cousin died in exactly the same circumstances, 17, heart failure, perfectly healthy and totally fit. I also have lost a child of my own. I have nothing other than heartfelt sympathy for the families and of course, a sense of loss for the lads themselves.

I have read over this thread and it has made me genuinely sick that a small few would see fit to trivialise the seriousness of the situation by making wisecracks and linking to unrelated rubbish. I hope that you don't find yourselves in the situation of the families left behind one day, you'll have a different tune then.

In the meantime, the important thing is to try and find some explanation for what is going on. maybe there isn't one. Maybe the increased incidence is merely an increased awareness and reporting in the media.

Maybe the GAA suggestion is a good one and that there should be some kind of heart screening in the schools. Lets hope we find answers and that this happens top no-one else.

In any case, my sympathies lie totally and utterly with the families.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

:D That's classic

The amount of these sudden deaths among young healthy athletes does seem odd. Short of a culture of dodgy performance enhancing drugs (or as someone suggested, energy drinks), it would seem to be an inexplicable anomoly.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

watsgone wrote:
    On a related note, how many people out there know how to perform CPR to keep someone's brain and organs going at least till the ambulance comes.
    It should be manadtory in every school.
    well, atleast 50% of MCS Fifth year do know how, myself included. The problem with that is, how can you treat someone if you dont know whats wrong with them? you turn around, see someone on the floor, first thing you think of is 'Fainted'.. then a minute later, he starts bleeding from the nose/mouth.. then what do you think?

Also, the first rule of first aid is safety(your own) comes first. When someone's spluttering blood from their nose/mouth, 1) CPR isnt the right course of action, because as far as you know, they're still relativly breathing, and the heart is pumping(even if weak), and the fact that he was still moving..and its unsure if he was conscious.. and 2) nobody(paramedics/etc excluded) is going to rush in to get pints of blood on themselfs trying CPR, especially 15/16 year olds with basic first aid skills.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement