Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a tattoo in Galway

Options
  • 08-09-2007 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭

I;ve finally decided to get a tattoo done as I've returned to Ireland meaning I can understand the aftercare instructions.

I love heraldic designs so I'm planning on getting my family crest(three stars on a black backround) on my left pectoral.

I was wondering if it's a painful to get done as I read somewhere that colored in tattoos hurt like a tosspot.I got got pretty outta shape during the exams so my left pec isn't as muscly as it could be,would that cause more pain?

I've been asking around between metalworks and Irish Ink and got a lot of different opinions. Some people told me metalworks is horribly dirty and others told me Irish Ink has a guy who does tattoos stoned.
    Is there any truth in either of those?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭McFearless

.....as I read somewhere that colored in tattoos hurt like a tosspot......

Just out of curiosity,to anyone how has both colourd and black,How could colour paint possibly hurt more?does the needle go deeper or something???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

sorry,I wasn't clear enough.

I meant coloured in.

Like it was supposed to be more painful having it filled in (like a completely black box) that just having a framework (box with just the outline and flesh colour in the middle)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

From what I've heard, outlines tend to be the more painful parts of getting a tattoo, filling in is meant to be a lot easier.

really?whys' that?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

In my experience there's no real difference between lines and shading or filling in in terms of pain. Maybe when going over skin that is already tender from having been done you get more pain.

When I was getting the shading done over my side piece to add the depth it hurt like fcuk.

As to the artist being stoned it may or may not be a bad thing. I've been tattooed while the artist was baked and it turned out great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

its so hit and miss in galway you're better off saving up 30 quid and getting the bus to dublin.

Honestly,it's the time thats killer for me

and the fact that it any problems means another 4 hour slog to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i found the shading a lot less painful actually. more like a brushing type scrape, i thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

I checked out all the tattoo parlours in Galway I could find (Metalworks, Irish Ink and Tribe City). None of them really impressed me that much. I'd really recomend going to Dublin.If not Danny Bullman (sp?) is supposed to be really good and he's in Limerick which wouldn't be too far away.

Is Tribe City that upstairs place in Dominic Street?

I thought it was derilict when I passed it on my way to Irish Ink

Looked ominous

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

Yeah the one opposite Joyces Book store. The d00d in there seemed nice but I wasn't overly impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The shading depends on how "solid" the colour is. Obviously if its only light shading, or a fading effect, the needles have to go less deep.

And when they are doing a solid colour, like filling in the black in a tribal, it will hurt more, as they are going pretty much as deep as the outlines, but using several needles instead

The tatto I'm planning on getting is like this:

http://ronmoran.com/Moran.jpg
    But slightly more stylized.

Would that hurt like hell to get done on the pec?

You're getting your skin pierced by many needles over and over again... course it's gonna hurt, just depends on your pain threshold, and how much you want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

dont be a b!tch and stop worrying about your pecs.. :p

either that or pop a nurofen before the ordeal and youl be grand

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Wilburt wrote:
    dont be a b!tch and stop worrying about your pecs.. :p

either that or pop a nurofen before the ordeal and youl be grand

Theres an answer and a half :D:D

Just dont be stupid and take aspirin--It`ll thin yer blood out :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

i do try to get my point across in a mix of wit,anger and politeness all in one go

Wilburt wrote:
    i do try to get my point across in a mix of wit,anger and politeness all in one go
    Well you did manage that,

ah I'll be fine,I've no fear of needles so I'll be grand,I'll just listen to music or something

oh yeah,do you know how much a tattoo like that would roughyl cost?
    I'm guessing a few hundred.

I know every place will be different but getting into town is such a bitch with the traffic and all.

Depends on the size really.

• Advertisement

Over the left pec?So that it starts at the top and covers the nipple.
    Pretty much following thr shape of the pectoral

Well you're looking at an awful lot of filling in, and as its solid bold colour, will hurt more than the outlines.

I'd say you're looking at at least a couple of hours.

Your best bet is to drop into a few places, check out their portfolios, talk to them about the idea, show them the crest, and ask about price.

Advertisement