Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does JC HL maths compare with LC HL maths?

Options
  • 08-09-2007 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭

I mean, do those who usually get As in JC, get As in LC? Or would it be only the top few As from JC that would go on to get A2s/A1s?

If anyone here has done honours for both could they tell me how they got on and how LC and JC compare please?

Comments

I done HL for my JC, I got a C, I done ONE week of HL maths and dropped down, and im glad i did it so soon as plenty others followed me.

It really dosent compare :) Maybe im just stupid ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I got A in JC and got B2 in LC.. made a balls of the paper tho.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I found it was quite a natural progression from JC maths to LC maths rather than a massive jump in standard, though many people have differing opinions on this.

Basically, if you worked very hard and got an A in JC Maths, then if you work very hard for LC Maths you'll get an A or B. If getting an A in JC Maths was no bother to you, then you'll likely get an A in LC Maths working a little harder than for your JC.

You'll know yourself after a few months in 5th year what you're capable of getting anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

I got an A in JC, and an A1 in LC.
    If you look at each relative to a students ability, age etc. at the time of either exam, I am of the opinion that LC HL maths is significantly more dificult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

I got an A in JC, A2 in LC. But there is a significant step up some make easily, some dont.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

JC HL compares with LC OL Maths, not really HL..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I done HL for my JC, I got a C, I done ONE week of HL maths and dropped down, and im glad i did it so soon as plenty others followed me.

It really dosent compare :) Maybe im just stupid ;)
    I also got a C in the junior cert
    but lasted longer than 2 weeks before dropping down
    3 months in fact but then it became apparent to me that this was just gonna take up too much time and effort

Now in 6th year and flying through ordinary level and aiming for a A1 in the exam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Key-Connors

there is little comparison between the two i got a b in jc and got a c2 in the lc but i was literally failing for the 2 years and never got over a d2 in those 2 years i got 42 in the mocks.but needed a c3 for engineering.
    long story short if you dont need it for a course dont do it coz it taKES WAY TOO MUCH TIME. sorry about the caps at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

I got an A in the JC, and was one of those people to get an invite to the maths o l y m p i a d (why on earth is olym-pia censored? *******.... :p )training so it means my exam was one of the top 500 I think...

Anyway all through JC I got As in pretty much every test and maths was easy.

Then I went into fifth year... Maths got hard! I mean, it actually required real work :P To me, there's a big leap between leaving and junior cert level maths, Junior just doesn't compare at all. In the JC you've seen all the questions before more or less, but for LC you actually need to think about things...

So long story short I came out with a B3 in LC after what was presumable a pretty good A in the JC... Had i worked more I might have done better, who knows... I lost some interest in maths to be honest, I didn't work particularly hard at it, no blood sweat and tears :P

So there you go, you could say I had some maths ability which got me an easy A in the JC but in the LC where I had to actually put in a lot of effort it didn't quite get me so far :p

I'm sure you could grind your way to an B1 in the LC, or at least a high B2/3 if you just practice all areas of the course and know them well... but unlike other subjects where you can just memorise you need a flair for maths to get an A :)

So no.. in my opinion... Jc maths doesn't compare with LC :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Different league altogether, man. Different league...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I found it was quite a natural progression from JC maths to LC maths rather than a massive jump in standard, though many people have differing opinions on this.

Basically, if you worked very hard and got an A in JC Maths, then if you work very hard for LC Maths you'll get an A or B. If getting an A in JC Maths was no bother to you, then you'll likely get an A in LC Maths working a little harder than for your JC.

You'll know yourself after a few months in 5th year what you're capable of getting anyway.
    QFT.

Also, you'd want to really like maths to do well really. In my experience anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Naturally it's harder but I didn't think there was a big leap in hardness at all. Although it was different for me because I did TY with no maths at all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

kisaragi wrote:
    (why on earth is olym-pia censored? *******.... :p )
    It's the name of a venue owned/used/something like that by a particular company.

I didn't find the jump between JC HL and LC HL too bad. I'd heard about it being completely horrific, and tbh I'm still waiting for the terrible bit to begin.
    I did the maths olymp. training as well and I think after doing that, LC maths couldn't possibly hold any more terror, which was handy.
    People get too afraid of it... at the start of fifth year there was supposed to be like 15 people in the honours maths class (most of the people who'd done HL for JC basically) and before the term even began, all but 8 had dropped down to pass...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Coco88

I mean, do those who usually get As in JC, get As in LC? Or would it be only the top few As from JC that would go on to get A2s/A1s?

If anyone here has done honours for both could they tell me how they got on and how LC and JC compare please?

No you can't compare HL maths at JC maths to Higher level Maths at LC . I done HL for the JC a i got a A . And higher level maths for the leaving cert is out of the question an A1 at OL maths at LC . Is the same as C1 at higher . If far to hard LC maths at HL . Oh OL maths for the LC is harder than HL maths for the JC.

Just pick OL is mostly out of the question for most people .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

yeah it was a lot header but it was a natural progression too, ya definitly have to work hard at it but its enjoyable if ya ask me! i got a D in the JC and stuck at it and got a D1 in the LC so if your borderline on it ya can just stick with it and it could pay off, also in the leaving you learn to give what the examiner is looking for too, for example youd understand the marking scheme and know what to do to try get a few points!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

You can learn your way to getting yourself an A in the junior cert. I did. Then sometime in TY I magically changed and began to understand maths, so LC HL maths really represented a little jump for me, rather than a huge one.

The difference between the two is where the emphasis lies in the approach to the subject. The JC throws maybe one or two wildcards in an exam but you can still get your A if you learned the rest of the questions well. They seem to just change the numbers and letters from year to year. Most things will be covered in the text book. People find leaving HL hard as they try and apply this style to it. The LC requires you to understand the material to do well in it. To learn off the LC and get an A is pretty much impossible, so when people do try this and get marks which aren't up to their expectations and see everybody else falling into the same trap they say that it's hard. It just requires a different approach, and if you learn to change your own approach to the subject (and like maths) you should do very well in it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The whole philosophy behind the two exams is different.

Junior Cert. papers are set to maximise the amount of marks gained, Leaving Cert. papers are more discriminatory (in an exam sense, rather than discriminating against anyone).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Deadevil129

I was in higher level JC an LC and yes the two courses link together but only since the 2006 LC exam from what I gather. (I'm not going into detail because it's beside the point but a new JC maths exam was examined first the year before me, it was designed to make a smoother transition from JC to LC.)

There is a jump between the two which is where fourth year comes in handy because it can give you an extra year to warm up to some of the new concepts. You can hardly expect the exam to stay at the same difficulty it was at JC. The difference is fair enough, the general rule of thumb for English, Irish and Maths is that if you got a C or lower at JC HL, then you wont be able for honours LC.

I flew through JC maths, didn't honestly study once for an exam untill the JC came around and I always got A's. I struggled initially with Higher in fourth year because I had a brutal teacher then flew through fifth year. Sixth year things sped up quite a bit and in the end I landed myself a healthy B1. HL Maths is one of the hardest subjects you'll do so be warned. It's not something that you can say "Oh I'll study that a week before the exams" It's something that needs constant practise and attention which will do your head in at the best of times unless you love the stuff. At the end of the day if it's a subject you want or have to do you can't really slack on it or it'll bite you in the arse a couple of weeks before the big quiz. I'm aware most teachers will probably say that about most subjects but with most subjects you're relying on memory work not your own logic and ability.

The exam format is still the same (a, b and c parts to all questions) and you can make a reasonable judgement on how you're doing by what you can and can't answer once you've finished up a section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

both easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

the general rule of thumb for English, Irish and Maths is that if you got a C or lower at JC HL, then you wont be able for honours LC.

Honestly, that's rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Nehpets wrote:
    I agree, I got a B in HL JC English and wasn't up for HL LC English. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

yep definitly rubbish, as i said a few posts back got a D the junior and a D1 in the leaving, skipped transition year and didnt have a great teacher so could have done better but a pass is a pass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

I got an A in the JC, and went straight into fifth year. I got a huge shock at first because i NEVER had to study/ work hard for maths. However, after a few weeks, I got the hang of it and started to do really well. The only thing is that you have to practice alot if you are hoping to get an A in the LC, be it HW or otherwise. For the record, I got an A1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Personally, in 5th and 6th year, my grades in maths were fluctating between As and Ds depending on how well I managed to grasp the concept of something we had a test on the day of the test. I just put a lot of effort* in at the end of 6th year and got the consistency required. I was one mark short of an A1.

*Effort? It was more like a fun break from proper study :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

JC 2K3 wrote:
    It was more like a fun break from proper study :p

Absoloutly true, the great thing bout it was that you never had to learn anything off. All the formulae become known automatically after you use them a hundred times. Great to do so well without any REAL study.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

I found the JC HL maths nice and easy, and got an A, but its LC component proved a bit of a shock to me. This years paper happened to be a lot EASIER than before, however... Got a B2 when expecting a low C...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭SamHamilton

Don't go into maths class in the mind-frame that "oh my God this is going to be soooooo hard like" because then it will be hard. HL maths is about confidence. If you go into class thinking that you can do anything, you'll have a lot less trouble. The papers throw questions at you that would look more at home on a japanese test paper but you have to remember that, in essence, every sum is the same! :) They can't throw something up that you haven't gone through in class. Underneath all the scary signs is a nice and easy sum that can be solved by a method you'll have used in class. That's where the confidence comes in. If you're faced with a demon of a sum just stare it down!

Also, if you can do HL maths, it's worth it. Even though it takes up a lot of time, the sense of achievement you get every time you get a problem right is addictive! I did really well in the LC but all I could think of was "woohoo I got an A1 in maths"! It's one of the most interesting and rewarding subjects that you'll ever get to study.

Anyway, this turned out to be a ramble. If you work hard you'll be able to pass HL. Attempt every question. That's the best advice I can give. At times the maths department are give away attempt marks so pick all of them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Yes, there is a jump, but a manageable one. I got a B in Honours Maths for JC, but got a B1 in Honours Maths for LC...I wouldn't listen to a A in Ordinary is the same as a D, maybe in terms of points but not work.

To be honest, all you have to do is get the A parts right ( Piss easy if you done any work ), and a B part 1 in every question to get 40% so the fear of failing should be gone, only how much further can I go? "Practice makes perfect is applicable to Maths definitely.

I hated Maths in 5th year, but absolutely loved it in 6th. Once you settle down into the subject and grasp some concepts, everything fits together and it becomes very much okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Deadevil129

Nehpets wrote:

:P That's why I said it was a general rule of thumb. There's plenty of other factors that have an effect, good or bad teachers, dedication and amount of work put in, and there's also people who genuinely struggle with things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Also, if you can do HL maths, it's worth it. Even though it takes up a lot of time, the sense of achievement you get every time you get a problem right is addictive! I did really well in the LC but all I could think of was "woohoo I got an A1 in maths"! It's one of the most interesting and rewarding subjects that you'll ever get to study.
    I know it's a different subject, but same idea... I had a really hard physics question for homework today, had no idea how to do it, book didn't mention anything about that kind of question, but I got it out in the end and it was great. : D God I'm pathetic...

But yeah, great sense of satisfaction from solving hard problems.

Advertisement