Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does JC HL maths compare with LC HL maths?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

really hard [LC] physics question
    That's an oxymoron. ;)

Seriously though, once you get your head around physics, HL Maths is in a league of its own for difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Ah it's not that much harder. That was one tricky physics question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

well, having only started leaving cert hl maths, i find it grand, was really good at jc maths though, as said, alot is about confidence, im confident that im good enough for an A1 and stride for it already, constant revision and solid work is what you need, (, i wish i did this myself, but im giving it a while so i have something to revise!!)

anyway, i find maths grand(then again, i think applied maths and physics helps), others find irish grand where its not my favourite,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Got an A in Jnr Cert HL maths and dropped down to OL Leaving Cert maths this year having done it for a year. Im guessing i just hit my maths ceiling or something, but it is quite a step up. good news is that so far OL has been a piece of piss - doing the sine rule in 6th year :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 anything goes

I found Junior Cert HL Maths easy and got an A in it. I can't say the same for the leaving though. I did higher for a good while and thought I was ok at it(usually got a C in tests) but it was only really in the run up to the mocks that I realised I hard it was. I failed my mock and dropped down to pass (which was simple after the honours).
    My brother (who is a genius at maths) reckons that if you don't get an A in JC maths you won't be able for HL in the leaving, but how true that is I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 corklady

I did both junior cert and leaving cert honours. Like some have already said, if you got an A in JC then an A in LC is always attainable with a bit of work. It's a slight step up, but if you're any way interested in going into a career in engineering, computers, banking, or whatever then saying you did honours maths (even if you only get a C in it, which is still very good) will stand to you very well in terms of letting an employer know that you have a good head for figuring things out. Even if you never use anything on the syllabus again, honours maths is a great way to train your brain. It involves more "figuring out" than ordinary level and thus is a great thing to have. My advice would be to give it your best, you can always drop down, but you can't drop up!

p.s. I think honours LC maths has gained a bad reputation for being unattainable. It isn't. It just needs to be taught properly. If your teacher in school isn't getting the point across, get grinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

My maths teacher said that JC HL Maths is the hardest maths for its age group in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

JSK 252 wrote:
    My maths teacher said that JC HL Maths is the hardest maths for its age group in the world.

Well they lied to you. Its not very difficult. Neither is LC maths for that matter. Maybe 20 years ago before they started watering everything down to what they have now it might have been considered reasonable. The fact that you can now use calculators says it all really. Maths only becomes sticky when you get to multi dimensional problems such as flows or advanced matrix manipulations for the computation of eigenvalues etc and even then its straightforward if you've a good head on your shoulders. Try the European Schools Bac (very different from the standard bac) at that age group. VERY different ball game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Well they lied to you. Its not very difficult. Neither is LC maths for that matter. Maybe 20 years ago before they started watering everything down to what they have now it might have been considered reasonable. The fact that you can now use calculators says it all really. Maths only becomes sticky when you get to multi dimensional problems such as flows or advanced matrix manipulations for the computation of eigenvalues etc and even then its straightforward if you've a good head on your shoulders. Try the European Schools Bac (very different from the standard bac) at that age group. VERY different ball game.

Wow your not trying to blind with techno speak at all are you?:rolleyes:
    No honours maths is not hard- but I would say that when takes into consideration that one does it with six other subjects it compares more than favourably with the A-Level system, where one takes both Maths and Further Maths as part of three a-levels, without covering that much more(admittedly far more emphasis on proof). To see how your maths ability compares with the best check out S.T.E.P papers(too lazy to post a link- go to Cambridge admissions for maths).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I got a C in HL Junior Cert Maths. Theres one Higher class in our year, currently has 20 something people in it. Can see it dropping soon....
    I'm totally lost for some of it, which is worrying cos some of it is stuff we did at Junior Cert, which i forgot in TY....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Roxy*

i dont really get what your trying to say??

i dropped, honours maths just gets well hard!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

interesting question!!!

well, i am just starting 5th lyk , but i been hearing alot about this higher maths!!right,heres da story of da 6th yrs in my school, there was 30 something started off in 5th year , and only 9-10 of them left now....

my teacher told us if you don't need maths for uni or if you found JC maths was hard , then you don't have to do higher maths coz it took alot of time and prob will drag down your other subjescts..( well theres like 40 of us doing it at the moment n no one wants to drop down) and he said by xmas half of the class will be gone !!

and to be honest i found it hard...like we got all the bloody differentiation questions done in 2 and half weeks!! i never had to work SO hard for maths in da JC and i got an A however i actually had to sit down n spend about an hours - 2 and half hours to do maths everyday, coz he is moving so fast n i try to catch up ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭ryanairzer

~Candy~ wrote:
    interesting question!!!

well, i am just starting 5th lyk , but i been hearing alot about this higher maths!!right,heres da story of da 6th yrs in my school, there was 30 something started off in 5th year , and only 9-10 of them left now....

my teacher told us if you don't need maths for uni or if you found JC maths was hard , then you don't have to do higher maths coz it took alot of time and prob will drag down your other subjescts..( well theres like 40 of us doing it at the moment n no one wants to drop down) and he said by xmas half of the class will be gone !!

and to be honest i found it hard...like we got all the bloody differentiation questions done in 2 and half weeks!! i never had to work SO hard for maths in da JC and i got an A however i actually had to sit down n spend about an hours - 2 and half hours to do maths everyday, coz he is moving so fast n i try to catch up ...

You've just started 5th and already did differentiation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

We did Permutations and Computations ad something else in TY.....found it really really easy...

Why can't we start with that instead of Alpha and Beta?

Getting the algebra out of the way has uses in other places, other topics that involve algebra etc.

(But I just particularly dislike probability.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Yeah, we just did that and I'd say it's the most horrible thing I've done in Maths so far.

Thankfully it's not too difficult, and unless you for some reason do the Probability and Statistics option for the end of paper 2, it only affects 2 questions max! (I think, they could hardly have it on more...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

We did Permutations and Computations ad something else in TY.....found it really really easy...

Why can't we start with that instead of Alpha and Beta?

You cant jump the gun.

One day at a time is the way is see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

Thankfully it's not too difficult, and unless you for some reason do the Probability and Statistics option for the end of paper 2, it only affects 2 questions max! (I think, they could hardly have it on more...)

Just don't turn your back on it. I hated probability and statistics but FORCED myself to try to learn the rules the day before P2. I did 7 questions on P2 including one probability/statistics. the trig question was really nasty

I got an A1 overall and got full marks on Q6. My uncounted trig question got me 35/50. Overall i got 544/600 in maths. 5 marks less and i wouldn't have gotten an A1.... Something to think bout

ryanairzer wrote:
    You've just started 5th and already did differentiation?

yea...when did you do that ?.

i think my teacher wants ppl drop down by doing this ( 'hard stuff') 1st and moving lyk so so fast? i dunno :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Getting the algebra out of the way has uses in other places, other topics that involve algebra etc.

true !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

It's one of those things you either like or you don't. I liked it but my teacher despised it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭ryanairzer

~Candy~ wrote:
    yea...when did you do that ?.

i think my teacher wants ppl drop down by doing this ( 'hard stuff') 1st and moving lyk so so fast? i dunno :rolleyes:

We did it near the end of the 5th year. I don't understand why she'd do differnetiation before algebra and trig. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

I definately wouldn't consider Differentiation "hard stuff". If you can't do it, you're not cut out for Higher. Even if it's the first thing you do.

Well it takes a while to get into the stuff. I found the algebra stuff hard enough at the start of fifth year. Might just be rustiness after TY!

ryanairzer wrote:
    We did it near the end of the 5th year. I don't understand why she'd do differnetiation before algebra and trig. :/

:p :cool: lyk everybody's complain about it , ah well, i get over that
    he also said he want us to da pre maths paper 1 in February o__o that kinda shocking...so...do you think higher maths hard?
    i think i prob get used to it afterawhile...i hope ^^

carlowboy wrote:
    I definately wouldn't consider Differentiation "hard stuff". If you can't do it, you're not cut out for Higher. Even if it's the first thing you do.

um, i can do most of them alrite...but lyk usually if i do 10 questions there bound to be 4 of them r wrong, then i do them 4 questions again n i can get them right xpt one or two..n the problem is them one or two..O__O

lyk but he moving too fast, how long did it took ye to do all da differentiation question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

I did honours for both JC and LC. I wasn't particularly good at maths, not at all, but I wanted to do it because I knew that if I put my mind to it, I could. I usually grasped things the first time we did them, but forgot them when we moved on. I couldn't do the challenging differentiation or integration questions, but I always liked probability and trig.
    Got a B for the JC, worked at it for LC and got a C2. I was really happy with that, big jump up from my D3 in the mocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Turquoise

kisaragi wrote:
    I got an A in the JC, and was one of those people to get an invite to the maths o l y m p i a d (why on earth is olym-pia censored? *******.... :p )training so it means my exam was one of the top 500 I think...

Snap....though I never actually went to the lectures. ;) Struggling with LC maths now, first month of sixth year and I'm trying to stick it out...we'll see.

But there is definitely NO comparison, I sailed through the JC Maths course, hardly studied...now it's the subject I have to focus on most, just to pass. :(
    They're dropping like flies though, I'm in the top class and alot of them are already gone.... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jaycummins

we did probability during fourth year and i have no idea how to do it now. we doing complex numbers in 6th year now and i actually love them. i got an A in HL JC but i got B's in all my fifth year tests. with a bit more study hopefully ill get an A1. im doin applied maths, that rocks! im gonna aim to get As in HL Maths, Physics and Applied maths. that'll get me into engineering hopefully.

Advertisement