Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local(s) ignorance towards mobile masts

Options
  • 08-09-2007 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

First of all, hello there to all born & bred and blowins, as I'm new to this forum.

I'm situated in Derrinturn Village (Carbury). I'm on the O2 network for both business & pleasure, and on 3 (not 3g) network for mobile broadband (don't ask). I like to see what others in these areas think about this.

I'm baffled on why I see signs everywhere for the usual 'No O2 mast here' and crap like that, but its okay to have Vodafone masts. Do O2 masts do more damage to people, I don't think so. I recently saw an article in the local Kildare Echo/News or whatever regarding some bloke in Allenwood being concerned for his kids, cause O2 wanted to upgrade the 2g mast in Allenwood. Whats the possibility of him and his family owning more that one phone? I think people would want to get of there high horse and cop-on.

What happens if there were a crash/fire/disaster etc and the witness had an O2 phone and no signal, or someone wanted to contact family in an emergency?

PS - I don't want some wiseguy saying get a vodafone mobile, and I don't work for any communication company, and I have kids, but understand the problems the companies have trying to make our lives easier.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Their o2 phone would access another network to make the emergency call. FACT

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Longrangedriver

I understand that, but why the ignorance towards O2 in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

To be honest, if they wanted to put a mast near me I wouldn't be happy about it. I'd have no problem with a Vodafone or Meteor mast though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

FX Meister wrote:
    To be honest, if they wanted to put a mast near me I wouldn't be happy about it. I'd have no problem with a Vodafone or Meteor mast though.
    Excuse my ignorance but what's the difference between Vodafone/Meteor mast and O2 masts?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Longrangedriver

I didn't intend to start an allout war in the county. It should be all about choice, and O2 customers don't get choice in Kildare. My boss lives 2 minutes outside Maynooth, and says that his signal is crap, but other networks are okay, and with work I travel alot, and so it seems to be all over the county. I heard that a certain north Kildare TD is the instigator in all this. He seems to be opposed to anything which improves life in the county, from 'phone signals' to bars/pubs to apartments etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I don't think there is any difference. I suspect O2 is just "of the moment" as they're probably the ones who've recently applied for planning permission etc - it could easily of been any one of the other networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

I have literally no-idea what you guys are arguing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

o2 has good coverage in the North East of Kildare.

Anyhoo's, as for the topic, o2, 3, Meteor... all have tried underhand methods to get masts nearby (Kildare). A few without planning permission.

Advertisement