Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gyms in Kilkenny ?

Options
  • 09-09-2007 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

I'm looking for a good gym to attend in Kilkenny. By good I mean one where you go to tone and lose weight not just go to 'look good' in spandex :rolleyes: .

The last gym I attended in the UK was a ladies only gym with no mirrors (pure heaven) and the instructors were fantastic, so I'm looking for somewhere here that will offer the same serious help with losing weight.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

There's a Curves gym behind the Club House; the entrance is roughly across the road from the Tech. It's in the same building as Euro Gym.

056 7795300

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭stcatherine

I officially love you !!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 31 biglovin

whats da best gym for a fella to join????

and what are the prices around actually?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭windy bee

The Hotel Kilkenny Gym is probably the best, it costs about €750 per year I think, they have really good equipment and a nice pool/jacuzzi area. The only thing is that all the Kilkenny Hurlers go there so that may be either an attraction or a drawback whichever you think!

The Rivercourt is very small, they do have a really clean pool area but the gym has hardly any free weights (1 rack), parking can be a real pain in the hole too.

Newpark is good too, a little small and can be very busy.

The Ormonde is probably joint 1st with Hotel Kilkenny, very big, clean and lots of free weights, so as gyms go I would recommend the Ormonde or Hotel Kilkenny but expect to pay around the €700 to €800 mark :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31 biglovin

i was on to da newpark, its 655 for the year, would u get cheaper around??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I was looking at gyms myself, (with swimming pool) with access in the town center important.
    I emailed The River Court Hotel for a price list but they replied that the
    gym will only be in use for residents only. (Odd I thought?)
    So that probably leaves The Ormonde? Unless that new hotel opposite The Clubhouse Hotel has a gym?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 johnbeau

...that I can add to my list of gyms at http://www.gymvisit.com/findagym.htm?loc=europe/ireland

It's not a commercial site but I do want to build the first list of great gyms across the worl!

J

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

^ No need for that here, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

2710byrne wrote: »
    <snip>

Don't be rude. If you don't have anything to contribute to the thread don't bother posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 hockey nut

the eurogym is best gym in kilkenny, it is not a leisure center so there isn't a pool, but has lots of free weights, cardio machines and the staff do personal programs as part of the membership, there are mirrors and a few posers but its still a good hard working gym !!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I'm a member of eurogym, it's 390 for the year, it's basically a fighter and body builders gym so it has the best equipment to get you in shape imo.
    Kickboxing and mma classes and what not too. Staff are sound, give great advice, also give you a training programme compared to most gyms which dont show you how to use half the equipment in the place

Yea there is a lot of fighters there only because they use the hall upstairs, but theres a lot of overweight people trying to lose weight and slim people trying to gain weight to, theres a good mix in there !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 johnbeau

Hope you don't mind but just added Eurogym to the site as it seems well praised....hope I got details right.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Only one Keano

I have been to the Ormonde a few times and its pretty good. It has enough machines and if you go early enough its never too busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭itsonlyme

Euro gym is the best in town. The lads Diamuird and Paul up there are top class, the know there stuff and the work with ya too. No bull**** up there if your prepared to put in the effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

No offence to the other gyms mentioned here, but if i were you i'd hold off until the new sport and leisure complex opens at scanlon park at the end of this month. The building looks incredible and from what i've heard the equipment and facilities will be top class.

asimonov wrote: »
    No offence to the other gyms mentioned here, but if i were you i'd hold off until the new sport and leisure complex opens at scanlon park at the end of this month. The building looks incredible and from what i've heard the equipment and facilities will be top class.

Is that the one as you turn off the roundabout for Loughboy?

it is the one at the ring road roundabout opposite Glanbia , i think the aim is to open end of november - but it being ireland - i'm presuming that means december.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Insanesomeone

If a pool isn't a major concern for you, then eurogym is the way to go. The lads are top notch, they'll go out of their way to help you and the equipment is great. All you need to do is look at the people who go there, it attracts hard working people who want results, and if you go there and put in the work, results are what you'll get.

As a comparision, I've been to the Ormonde, Springhill and a handful of other gyms in town and for weights/cardio equipment, eurogym is the best.

it all depends on what you want i suppose. try 'em out and see what is the best "fit" for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

hey has eurogym closed down??? it says that electricity problems but are they using that as an excuse?? beacuse the curves next door is open?

That would be a shocker. I haven't been up there for a while because of knee problems. If its true I hope its only temporary.

yeah so do i , its the best gym in kilkenny and i was just about to renew my year. could it be financial problems? maybe alot of the polish lads have gone home they would of made up the bulk of the people there or maybe the leisure centres are taking people away especially with scanlon park coming up??

Good question. They did have alot of nonNational members. Their Kickboxing and MMA classes were doing well though. Hopefully someone from Eurogym will see this thread and give us an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I'm in the Ormonde myself and would recommend it to anyone. Very professional and well-trained staff. One of my friends tried twice in four days last week to go to the Eurogym and both times it was closed.

Went up to the EuroGym today. Still closed. The letter is on the door saying they are closed due to electrical problems and members would be notified when they reopen.

the electricity was cut off by the supplier because they were reading the meter wrong for the passed 2 1/2 years and then sent a bill for over €12000 which is crazy, this happened 3 months ago and they have been fighting it since, but without any notice or warning they came in and cut it off, now its in the hands of the solicitors, this is what is happening so anything else you hear is bull**** !!!!!

**** thhis could take ages to sort out!

hockey nut wrote: »
    the electricity was cut off by the supplier because they were reading the meter wrong for the passed 2 1/2 years and then sent a bill for over €12000 which is crazy, this happened 3 months ago and they have been fighting it since, but without any notice or warning they came in and cut it off, now its in the hands of the solicitors, this is what is happening so anything else you hear is bull**** !!!!!

Holy Crap that sucks. It sounds like thats the company's loss not Paul and co. If their guy has been reading the meters wrong for that long its their loss. Any judge in the States would tell them they don't have a case against Paul And Diarmuid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭itsonlyme

Jaysus!! That's awful. Hope they reopen soon though.

The thing with business esb accounts they only read the meteres 2 or 3 times a year and send in an estimated bill every month.

Advertisement