Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant Barking

• 09-09-2007 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭

Hi there

I am hoping someone can give me some advise. My neighbours dog is CONSTANTLY barking. Its non stop. I work from home and its all i hear. During the day, in the evening, all the time. But now i'm at my wits end. The neighbours were doing work in the back garden yesterday and the dog (collie) barked for the whole day at the mini digger. Although he got one or two half hearted "stop barking" from the owner, they pretty much just ignored him and i got absolutely no study done yesterday as this was all i could hear.
    Now this morning i am wrecked. The dog woke me up at 1.30am, 3.30am, 4.45am and 7.30am with his piercing barking and it was the same the night before. I am absolutely wrecked and need this to stop.
    The only thing is that i get on great with the neighbours themselves. They're lovely and very genuine people but when i've mentioned about the barking, they just say that they don't know how to stop him.
    So if anyone could give me some suggestions as to what would do the trick because i want to be able to go in, approach the subject and give them some suggestions as to what might calm the barking.
    Any advice would be mucho appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Neigbours of ours had a barking dog, an American Bulldog, so he was big and noisy when he got started and got a lot of complaints about it, he was an awful bloody nuisance. The got him an electronic collar which could be triggered to give a mild electric jolt at the touch of a button on a remote control. At first you would hear barking followed by a little yelp now there is no barking to speak off. It's not that they are constantly electrocuting the poor dog, now they just pick up the remote and show it to him and Axxo shuts up immediately. Clever dog, I'd say he chew up that remote if he could get a chance.:D He's a great dog and now he's not a disturbance any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Three non-elctronic, non-cruel suggestions:

1) the dog sleeps inside at night

2) the neighbours train the dog to bark on command, once that's done they can also easily train him to shut up on command.

3) when something extrordinary happens (like the mini digger) the dog gets put inside

Problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

We've had similar problems with nuisance dogs living next door to us that we've had to get legal advice; have a read of the control of dogs act, specifically this part of it here http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1986/en/act/pub/0032/sec0025.html#zza32y1986s25

Yes this problem can be solved with proper training and owner dedication, if they haven't a clue what to do you could always suggest a trainer. IMO collies aren't the most ideal pets for suburbs because they're very energetic dogs and tend to be more suited to a farm and more open space.

The dog could be put in at night but that's what our neighbours do and you can still hear the dog barking. Training is prob the best option here, but if it gets bad you could always talk to a solicitor. If they're as decent as you say they are, then they'll be willing to listen to you (unlike our neighbours).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Hi, I am having the very same problem. Our neighbours go off for days at a time and leave their dog outside in all weathers tied to a post, no shelter or anything. It barks non-stop day and night. They dont seem like approachable people as I said hello to them a few times and they ignored me.
    They are renting next door, I have conrtacted the auctuioneer who in turn has said they have spoken to the landlord but no result.
    I only see 2 ways now
    1: Poison-but that would not be fair on the animal.
    2: Bring it personnally to the animal shelter where it can be cared for properly.

Any thoughts? Or can I buy one of these high pitched things to shut it up when it barks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

Ginger83 wrote:
    Hi, I am having the very same problem. Our neighbours go off for days at a time and leave their dog outside in all weathers tied to a post, no shelter or anything. It barks non-stop day and night. They dont seem like approachable people as I said hello to them a few times and they ignored me.
    They are renting next door, I have conrtacted the auctuioneer who in turn has said they have spoken to the landlord but no result.
    I only see 2 ways now
    2: Bring it personnally to the animal shelter where it can be cared for properly.

Any thoughts? Or can I buy one of these high pitched things to shut it up when it barks.

Poison?? Are you serious? Of course that wouldn't be fair! It actually crossed your mind to poison the dog because it's owners are cruel enough to leave him alone for days tied to a post, hungry and shelterless? Option 2 is obviously the ONLY option, the dog is clearly being mistreated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Report the OWNERS for cruelty
    Leaving a dog with no shelter is actually against the law in Ireland
    So instead of blaming a poor distressed lonely animal coz he's been left on his own take action against the people who are making your life a misery.

In reponse to the OP - ask the neighbours can the dog sleep inside at night - I don't understand this Irish concept of the back yard dog personally anyway :mad:

Have had the landlord contacted a few weeks ago and was told they were contacted this morning. Time will tell if they take heed of the message.

Where would I find info on the laws of keeping a dog in a built up area, mistreatment, etc?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Ginger83 wrote:
    I only see 2 ways now

You should really report these guys to the guards, or the ISPCA. Poor dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Ginger83 wrote:

Jesus Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Ginger83 wrote:
    Have had the landlord contacted a few weeks ago and was told they were contacted this morning. Time will tell if they take heed of the message.

Where would I find info on the laws of keeping a dog in a built up area, mistreatment, etc?
    Thanks

www.oasis.gov.ie

this will give you info on noise nuisance etc

Also your local SPCA should be able to fill you in on the specific laws pertaining to keeping an animal etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

SuzyS1972 wrote:
    www.oasis.gov.ie

this will give you info on noise nuisance etc

Also your local SPCA should be able to fill you in on the specific laws pertaining to keeping an animal etc
    See the last post I wrote in this thread re. control of dogs act

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭BeauZak

Don't TOUCH anything with a remote control or electricity. Why not? read this: www.advocatesforanimals.org.uk/pdf/electricshockcollars.pdf

If you are determined to use a collar then you only need a Jet care collar but I would recommend you speak with professional beforehand and make sure you have exhausted all other avenues first.

http://www.doggiesolutions.co.uk/erol.html#279X7289

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

there is another device you can use without giving the dog an electric shock . you fit it to a wall where the dog is and when he barks it emitts a high pitch (only heard by animals) squeal . so after a while the dog cops on that its his barking activating this .... :D

What is the name of that device Hunter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Leeby wrote: »
    Poison?? Are you serious? Of course that wouldn't be fair! It actually crossed your mind to poison the dog because it's owners are cruel enough to leave him alone for days tied to a post, hungry and shelterless? Option 2 is obviously the ONLY option, the dog is clearly being mistreated.

What about the humans who are being tortured? Do the animals take precedence over them? Poison seems extreme - but you have to suffer sleep deprivation to realise what people go through. You might not take the high moral ground if you did.;)

Housing estates are built for people - not animals. End of story.

Ginger83 wrote: »
    What is the name of that device Hunter?

Dog silencer Pro.

http://www.ultimatebarkcontrol.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Ginger83 wrote: »
    I only see 2 ways now

Its probably barking because its bored,lonely,hungry,cold and wet . Adding more misery to its state isn't a great idea. Move it to someone who would like it and you'd be sure would look after it well or a shelter ( maybe not the local one, in case it ends up back where it started)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

Poor dog, obviously bored and demented, When you need to walk and think, any chance of bringing him with you?
    May be good for both of you.

gypsygirl wrote: »
    Poor dog, obviously bored and demented, When you need to walk and think, any chance of bringing him with you?
    May be good for both of you.

And how would that sort the issue? Idiot owner with little or no respect for his / her neighbours - and you expect the affected person to take ownership of the problem?

bushy... wrote: »
    Its probably barking because its bored,lonely,hungry,cold and wet

It should be taken into care or put down humanely if that's the case. A classic case of neglect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭RobbieMc

Hi

I have a similiar problem. It's my dog ( one of two) that is barking. At least that's what I'm been told. I have no proof that what my neighbour is saying is true as my other neighbours have no issue with our dog's.
    That been said, We have had a trainer out to help us. This has helped. We have a bark control collar( jet type) but my dog is so smart that she barks to empty it and then what?, she just barks.

I have now resorted to setting up video survelance to try and prove or dis prove what my neighbour is saying.
    I have had dogs since 1991 and my current pair of Collies ( one is 10 and the other is 5) are our best pals. But it's only the younger one that seems to be causing the issue for my neighbour. I spent some time at home sick in bed and never had an issue with barking, but what this person is saying is that the dog is barking from 8 til 4.30 daily, yet no one else is complaining, I've even gone to resident meetings and raised it to the members and no one else had issues with our dogs, Other dogs yes, but not ours.

What to do next? I only hope the video tonight shows me as right, I'll be very upset if my neighbour is right, as what do i do then?

Thanks for listening and fogive spelling mistakes.

Rob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Freddie59 wrote: »

Has anyone got results with one of these ?
    I am having a similar problem to the OP although not AS bad.

Talked to the neighbours and they said there was nothing they could/would do.

Any thoughts ?

Advertisement