Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

engine size

Options
  • 09-09-2007 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

im about to get the full drivin license and i was told that for someone of my age (im 22) id be allowed to drive only 1.0 l cars. is that true or i maybe misinterpreted? is there any law on this
    thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Not true. You can get insured on any reasonable car (no high powered stuff*) but premium will be loaded until you have at least a yr NCB.

*insurance companies' definition of high powered can be spurious.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

memet wrote:
    im about to get the full drivin license and i was told that for someone of my age (im 22) id be allowed to drive only 1.0 l cars. is that true or i maybe misinterpreted? is there any law on this
    thx
    No, there is no age restriction relating to engine size. The cost of insurance for a young driver in a powerful car may be very prohibitive though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 memet

thx for the quick response. i know about the insurance issue, i wont be startin with a 2.0 for sure
    just i was worried to be restricted with a 1.0 as i was hopin to have a choice within the 1.0 and 1.4 range

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

memet wrote:
    thx

Don't tell me you actually believed that?? I don't even know what cars they make in a 1.0 any more? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 memet

well something like the c1 can be found 1.0
    also i heard that in italy they brought in a law that limits people who just got their license to drive for 3 years vehicles under 50 kW so i wouldnt be too
    suprised if they invented some other limitation over here althought the cost of insurance seems to be a good limitation by itself :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Even on a provisional at 17 years of age you can drive any car you can get insured on.
    And su_dios, there is always a high demand for 1 litre cars in Ireland because tax is very low on them. Yaris, Micra , Corsa , Polo ect...

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

Yeah there are tons of 1.0 or 1.1 cars..

You will get a quote on anything up to a 2L unless it is something like a 1.8 sport.

a 1.5 honda should be easily insurable for about 1500 i would have thought, with no previous driving, and your first provisional. I think thats what i got quoted on my first car not too long ago.

Advertisement