Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Driving Licence

Options
  • 09-09-2007 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭

Do you need an International Driving Licence for Australia? Where would I get one?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

You don't need one. You can drive on your Irish driving licence if you're here on any sort of temporary visa. If you are on a permanent visa then you can swop your licence for a Victorian one (not sure if this translates to all other states to be honest). That's for full licences.

I don't know what the story is with provisional licences though.

I drive here on my Irish licence. I should really get round to getting a Victorian one. I've also hired cars here plenty of times and they laughed when I showed them the international one. The last car hire place said that they're mainly for countries where English isn't spoken.

You can get them from the AA though if you really want one. Cost me about 6 Euro a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Thanks Skittlebrau, I've got a full Irish one so if I dont actually need an international licence then great as that €6 is better off in my pocket than theirs :)

John.

Advertisement