Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refuse collection - Greenstar changing the rules

Options
  • 09-09-2007 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭

Rainbow refuse has been taken over by a firm called Greenstar, they have also taken over a number of other refuse collecting firms. Now they have changed the rules for recycling - they don't want milk and juice boxes. I buy milk in tetra packs as I thought they were more environmentally friendly than plastic containers, but apparently not. Though they will fold flat to take up less space, and they are biodegradable in landfill.

I was also under the impression that all the recycling went to one plant, so how is it that the County Council will still take tetra packs? Or am I wrong about that too? Does anyone have any information about any of this?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ah all these companys have their own rules. Some of which are odd. Why anyway, did they say they were not permitting those items?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

On the Rainbow information calendar it says they accept them, but on the (new) bags it says no milk and juice cartons. Yes, maybe they do all have their own rules, but if all the stuff is going to the same recycling centre, why should they. The more complicated they make it the less likely people are to bother.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

looksee wrote:
    but if all the stuff is going to the same recycling centre, why should they.

I dont think they do go to the same place. I believe there was reports on this not long ago. Some even go back to a landfill!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

OK, rang them today, problem solved - its a printing error on the bags :rolleyes: Tetra pacs are still ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 wellboy1976

looksee wrote:
    Rainbow refuse has been taken over by a firm called Greenstar, they have also taken over a number of other refuse collecting firms. Now they have changed the rules for recycling - they don't want milk and juice boxes. I buy milk in tetra packs as I thought they were more environmentally friendly than plastic containers, but apparently not. Though they will fold flat to take up less space, and they are biodegradable in landfill.

I was also under the impression that all the recycling went to one plant, so how is it that the County Council will still take tetra packs? Or am I wrong about that too? Does anyone have any information about any of this?

Didnt Greenstar buy Ormonde?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Have they been in contact with anyone yet, just wondering if they're still going to be knocking on peoples doors for payment, seems a very old fashioned way of collecting , has its good points as if they were any grievances or suggestions its a good chance to voice them.

Advertisement