Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Niggling little bugs with the N95

• 09-09-2007 4:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭

There's a few things bothering me about the N95. Perhaps some of the knowledgeable among you can answer these queries....

1) Every time I turn the damn thing on I have to input date and time. Is there a way to stop this?

2) I've forgotten. I'll remember in a while and add. Senior moments, don't you know.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Oh yeah: Why do incoming SMS list contacts as lastname firstname when I have specifically set it up the other way and that is the way contacts are listed?

Oh yeah 2: Is there no such thing as selecting manual roaming any more? Clearly using a 3UK SIM in Ireland I want it to remain on 3IRL a at all times to benefit from 3 Like Home but this is impossible when travelling as it defects to Voodoo and o2 all the time. How can I prevent this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 memet

the first thing is not normal , never happened on mine since i setted it the first time. ( maybe ur changin sim??)
    the roamin can be done manually:
    tools,settings,phone,network and operator selection manual

memet wrote:
    the first thing is not normal , never happened on mine since i setted it the first time. ( maybe ur changin sim??)
    the roamin can be done manually:
    tools,settings,phone,network and operator selection manual

Agreed -it is not normal. It usually happens if you sim-swap but this instance it is happening every time I re-boot, turn on, after battery runs out or it decides to crash. In other words, each and every time it powers up. a PITA!

As for manual operator select -this is NOT normally available to me. But, I have just been playing with my Bulgarian Globul SIM and when it is in the phone, manual IS available. The option disappears when using either my 3 UK or 3IRL SIM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

culabula wrote:
    Agreed -it is not normal. It usually happens if you sim-swap but this instance it is happening every time I re-boot, turn on, after battery runs out or it decides to crash. In other words, each and every time it powers up. a PITA!

As for manual operator select -this is NOT normally available to me. But, I have just been playing with my Bulgarian Globul SIM and when it is in the phone, manual IS available. The option disappears when using either my 3 UK or 3IRL SIM.
    the time thing shouldn't happen. With symbian phones you shouldn't have to re-enter the time unless you've left the battery for a few hours. My advice is its faulty. Bring it back

the manual selection option disappearing is equally weird. 3 might have set it up to disable the option for some reason like they do with the gsm/3g option although i thought that 3 firmware had to be on the phone to do that. Yours is sim free right?

Again. Its probably a fault so bring it back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

culabula wrote:
    Oh yeah: Why do incoming SMS list contacts as lastname firstname when I have specifically set it up the other way and that is the way contacts are listed?
    That bugs the **** out of me actually but I've never found a way around it. Another thing that really annoys me is that it doesnt show the date/time a message was recieved unless you go into the details view :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Have a few niggles myself

1. If I recieve a message from unknown number and then save that number to contacts it doesnt link properly e.g. if that person sends another message their name doesnt show up just the number

2. When the phone is in standby and the backlight is off there is a white bar that displays the time, this moves position for some reason even if u dont touch the phone, its just annoying and you have to activate the backlight to check for messages or missed calls

3. You cant seem to set the nokia web browser to not display pictures (would save money)

4. Images and video all display in one big mess, you can create folders but there more virtual folders, this is just bad design

5. There is no "recently used" feature when sending a text message, had this on my older phone was useful when texting back and forth a lot

6. Get a few too many freezes for my liking

Just minor annoyances, its a great phone all round

Arathorn wrote:
    1. If I recieve a message from unknown number and then save that number to contacts it doesnt link properly e.g. if that person sends another message their name doesnt show up just the number
    Just tried that there on the n70 and while the first message stayed as the number, all messages after that had the name
    . What format are you storing the numbers in? 08 or 3538 or what?

Arathorn wrote:
    2. When the phone is in standby and the backlight is off there is a white bar that displays the time, this moves position for some reason even if u dont touch the phone, its just annoying and you have to activate the backlight to check for messages or missed calls
    You don't. The next time you get a message, wait until the time shows up and you'll notice that there's a picture of a letter and the number 1 just below it. There's icons for missed call etc too.

And all nokias do that. The reason it moves is to prevent screen burn
    Arathorn wrote:
    3. You cant seem to set the nokia web browser to not display pictures (would save money)
    options->Settings->show images and objects->no. That's where it is on the n70 anyway. And you should get opera mini. Its much better than the built in browser.

Arathorn wrote:
    4. Images and video all display in one big mess, you can create folders but there more virtual folders, this is just bad design

yeah that is annoying. If you want to browse them properly you should get fexplorer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

culabula wrote:

This is something that has worked that way since the very first Symbian phones, my old 3650 from 2003 had it as well, and now my E60.

The Firstname/Lastname order only applies to the contact list, not to any other applications that show contacts, e.g. Messaging. It's very annoying but there's not much you can do about it, unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Yes, and the reason that bar is so small is that it actually turns the rest of the screen off to save power.

If you prefer a bigger screensaver at the expense of standby time you can look at "Large Time Screensaver", however that app is very unpolished for Series 60 3rd Edition phones (such as N95) and I wouldn't really recommend it yet.

• Advertisement

Just tried that there on the n70 and while the first message stayed as the number, all messages after that had the name
    . What format are you storing the numbers in? 08 or 3538 or what?

I tried all ways, tried deleting number completely re-entering etc very annoying, its fine for all the numbers I had originally
    You don't. The next time you get a message, wait until the time shows up and you'll notice that there's a picture of a letter and the number 1 just below it. There's icons for missed call etc too.

Ya but you have to look really close, if you just glanced at it would be hard to tell not a huge deal though and I see your point about screen burn
    options->Settings->show images and objects->no. That's where it is on the n70 anyway. And you should get opera mini. Its much better than the built in browser.

Cant find that setting on my N95 Nokia browser, maybe its hidden away somewhere? Have opera mini as well but it doesnt work on the vodafone live portal for me
    yeah that is annoying. If you want to browse them properly you should get fexplorer

I have YBrowser is that the same kind of thing or is it better?

Thanks for the help

Arathorn wrote:
    I tried all ways, tried deleting number completely re-entering etc very annoying, its fine for all the numbers I had originally

Thanks for the help

This usually happens when your contacts number is duplicated: do you have it on the SIM or listed elsewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Arathorn wrote:
    Cant find that setting on my N95 Nokia browser, maybe its hidden away somewhere? Have opera mini as well but it doesnt work on the vodafone live portal for me
    Have you tried Settings-->Page-->Load Content and change it to Text Only?

JohnK wrote:
    Have you tried Settings-->Page-->Load Content and change it to Text Only?

Great never spotted that, thanks...

the time thing shouldn't happen. With symbian phones you shouldn't have to re-enter the time unless you've left the battery for a few hours. My advice is its faulty. Bring it back

the manual selection option disappearing is equally weird. 3 might have set it up to disable the option for some reason like they do with the gsm/3g option although i thought that 3 firmware had to be on the phone to do that. Yours is sim free right?

Again. Its probably a fault so bring it back

Yes, time thing doesn't happen for me with any other Nokia (except when SIM-swapping) and didn't used to happen with this N95 until last week.

My N95 is indeed SIM-free, no branding whatsoever. But I have seen this -no manual' conundrum before depending on the SIM put in with other BB5s.

Will bring it to a Nokia Service CentRE and ask. Can't see me sending it back to O2 UK as I've just managed to get out of my contract scarcely 4 months in and get to keepsies the phone!

@arathorn, i've never heard of Ybrowser. Will take a look at it later

@culabula, no need to send it off to the uk. Bring it to mprc in sandyford. I brought a danish 6280 there last week and they had it fixed in 3 hours and it was free because it was under warranty. No need to have a receipt either. They know by the imei if its in warranty

@culabula, no need to send it off to the uk. Bring it to mprc in sandyford. I brought a danish 6280 there last week and they had it fixed in 3 hours and it was free because it was under warranty. No need to have a receipt either. They know by the imei if its in warranty

Thanks for that.....is it accessible on the LUAS, so?

Yeah theres a luas stop around the corner from it

Yeah theres a luas stop around the corner from it

Kewl, tanx!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭expediateclimb

Even though you might think your N95 is not branded, it could be restricted by the mobile network that you have it on. For example certain operators restrict roaming functions on the phone to avoid paying user charges for piggybacking on other operators gsm masts.

The best way to sort out the phone is to give it a full reboot. In other words you can change the product code of the phone to a default european setting using software such as NSS and then just reload updated software from nokia which is free on their website. Make sure that you back up any files that you want to keep as the reboot will remove them.

The phone should now be fully functional and any unwanted restrictions that might have been imposed by operators are wiped clean. As a by product it should also speed up your phone's software.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Some of my niggles...

* The radio runs in software and will close down completely if memory gets short. No RDS and this visual service thingy is no use. Oh No RDS either. Also if I am using the GPS then as soon as there is a voice announcement, the radio cuts off completely.

* Memory management or lack thereof.

* The cursor button is too skinny. I often hit it playing a game and end up opening up the gallery.

It keeps on asking which data connection to select. I want it to stick to the same one. If I want to use wifi then I should select that manually otherwise it should use the same one (if available otherwise ask).

* When I put the N95 into my car holder for the GPS it will inevitably hit the camera button opening gallery yet again. If only I could disable these buttons and select them from the menu.

And now the back cover of mine constantly falls off (hard to tell but looks as though a tab is broken or has fallen off entirely)....the clasp that clicks it in place is now unable to remain in place as the cover keeps falling off and the battery too.

Shoddy. Please Apple, announce a 3/3,5G iPhone next Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

For all the N95 users, what do you think of it overall. I'm getting a new phone and am torn between the N95 and E65.

Do you think the N95 is worth the extra money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

matrim wrote:
    For all the N95 users, what do you think of it overall. I'm getting a new phone and am torn between the N95 and E65.

Do you think the N95 is worth the extra money?

Definitely but only with a data package.

Advertisement