Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

external bays to house ide hard drives

Options
  • 09-09-2007 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

i'm planning on getting a new pc which obviously will have sata hard drive connectors in it

my current pc has a couple of hard drives in it which ideally i'd like to keep if such a thing existed that i could put them both in, and then connect it via usb or firewire to the new pc and access them like a regualr external hard drive?

is this possible and if so what exactly would i have to be buying to get that to run smoothly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

here u go http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.aspx?bn=10095 there is a list of external hard drive enclosures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

i saw that but not sure how they work?

do you just pull the hard drive out of the old pc, and stick it into that bay? do they have data and power connectors inside?

then just a regular usb conncetor to connect to the pc?

anyone used these kind of things and are they reliable?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

DotOrg wrote:
    i saw that but not sure how they work?

do you just pull the hard drive out of the old pc, and stick it into that bay? do they have data and power connectors inside?
    Yes. There's a chance you might need to change jumpers on the drives also.
    then just a regular usb conncetor to connect to the pc?
    Yes. Sometimes two as hard drives are power hungry. Others might have an external power supply and one USB connector instead.
    anyone used these kind of things and are they reliable?
    Sure have. I have an Akasa 2.5". It works very well. Very silent and stays very cool. Well impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

ethernet wrote:
    Sure have. I have an Akasa 2.5". It works very well. Very silent and stays very cool. Well impressed.

The Akasa one is the mutts nuts. We have a couple for use within the organisation and the fact that its just 2 usb cables means its as quick as a pen drive in that it doesnt require you to source a plug.

Advertisement