Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

small inexspensive septic tank

Options
  • 09-09-2007 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭

is it possible to purchase and self install a small septic tank for the purposes of takin away waste water and dog poop. im building a run for my dogs at the end of my garden and i have to have somewhere to run the waste and the water for washing out the pen. i have 3 large dogs and it would make life easier to wash everything down into an aj and into a small tank as opposed to lifting the solids and then washing their area. also if such a thing exists would i need planning permission. any advice welcome thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

is it possible to purchase and self install a small septic tank for the purposes of takin away waste water and dog poop. im building a run for my dogs at the end of my garden and i have to have somewhere to run the waste and the water for washing out the pen. i have 3 large dogs and it would make life easier to wash everything down into an aj and into a small tank as opposed to lifting the solids and then washing their area. also if such a thing exists would i need planning permission. any advice welcome thanks

Have a browse through the regs here: the full 9 yards are here.
    Thanks to Muffler for this link
    http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/

my instinct is yes u need planning for a septic tank as there are water table, percolation issues.
    The other risk is that the sh1t may be so concentrated that the tank may not actually work properly

Any chance of running a pipe into the domestic sewerage system, i.e. "dog loo" (concrete base with a drain & stand pipe for flushing) with a "U" bend under the drain, then a standard sewer pipe to join into the existing system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Any chance of running a pipe into the domestic sewerage system, i.e. "dog loo" (concrete base with a drain & stand pipe for flushing) with a "U" bend under the drain, then a standard sewer pipe to join into the existing system.

If doing the above make sure u have plenty Aj's for access/rodding because, believe me, if u have a blocked sewer full of decomposing DS to deal with,....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

no tapping into the domestic pipes are not possible.......they run to the front of the house about 150 feet from where i want to put the pen. i thought there might be some sort of bio unit i could sink below the pen that would deal with the waste. also ill be building a block shed down the same area and was hoping to put a loo in it due to its distance from the house. i would have thought a small septic tank would have been able to manage that ammount of waste

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I am well outside my areas of expertise here, but you should read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compost_toilet

A lot of research has gone into this area, so there may be a solution out there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement