Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea Salt

Options
  • 09-09-2007 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hey All,

I've gotten a couple of piercings in the last few months, and I've always stuck to the after care advice rigidly, but I've recently started to wonder - why sea salt? Why is everyone always so firm that it has to be sea salt? Surely they're both the same type of salt? I would have thought sea salt, from the method used to produce it, would even have more impurities in it - cos we as a race aren't too worried about using it as a sewer.

As a budding scientist, I'd quite like to know. Thank you:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The iodine in normal table salt is damaging to the wounded tissue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭popecatapetal

Cheers, that explains a lot:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭CorsetRibbons

Can one gargle sea salt water for healing oral piercings?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

yup thats the prefered way in my book. about 1/4 teaspoon of salt per 300ml of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Can one gargle sea salt water for healing oral piercings?
    You can do if you can stomach it. Be prepared for it to make you sick though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

gargling shouldnt do much to you, if you swallow it though...different story

If the salt water you use to clean your piercings is so salty that you'd hurl if you swallowed it, you are using waaaaay too much salt. Half a teaspoon to a mug of water is the max you should use - I used stronger than that on my nose for a while, and I got a huge keloid inside. Not fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Ooh, what you get pierced? Get your snakebites in the end?

Still waiting for those - setbacks galore. I should be getting them done monday week. It was SUPPOSED to be monday, but then they told us about a random field trip to the bog somewhere, so I'm waiting til after that so I can take care of them properly. I can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

If the salt water you use to clean your piercings is so salty that you'd hurl if you swallowed it, you are using waaaaay too much salt. Half a teaspoon to a mug of water is the max you should use - I used stronger than that on my nose for a while, and I got a huge keloid inside. Not fun.

excess of sea salt shouldnt cause a keloid to form, unless you just pour the salt straight on...

• Advertisement
Advertisement