Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Chefs Knives

Options
  • 09-09-2007 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I am in the process of changing my kitchen.

I want to get a top quality set of chef's knives - a present to myself if you will - to go with it.

I am prepared to invest to get a top quality set that will last.

What do professional chefs/gifted amateurs use on a daily basis?

Thanks

Milmo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jebusmusic

Shouldnt tell you this as I want a set but am broke at the moment! :)

Was in TkMaxx in Stephens Green on Saturday, they have a few sets of Chef Knives, Sabatier (which I believe are a good brand).

List price €380 selling for €90. Bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

The Sabatier brand has an interesting history that may not guarantee a good knife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

For excellent value and extreme sharpness I would get something from Japan - take a look at http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/
    The Tojiro DP Sweden Steel range is especially good value, but many others are worth looking at.

If you want to spend a lot more money for a range that is well-known in the west, Globals are very popular.

I agree with Minder about Sabatier: it isn't a single brand but they are made by a few different companies. Some are better than others.

hth.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I was curious about this so popped into TKMaxx in blanch this morning.
    They didnt have the same set the OP is talkiing about but had other Sabatier knife sets supoosedly reduced hughly too. However they were two different brands, both made in England so not the real deal at all unless I'm very mistaken.

That said I got myself a nice new steel food grater which made the journey worthwhile :).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Also watch out for the Global knives on ebay - almost guaranteed to be fake.

MaJD posted some good info re Global knives on this thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭cookiequeen

I have some Sabatier knives myself and they are amazing. They make cooking such a dream. Sharpen really well and basically I would bring them everywhere with me but my husband thinks they could be classed as a weapon!!! Definately go with Sabatier but make sure they ae genuine. The knife and handle should all be in one piece so the "silver buttons" on the handle must be the same piece of metal that the blade is cut from. They should be in a really cheap looking yellow and plastic sleeve too. There is something about the logo aswell but I can't remember 100% if I think of it I'll let you know. If you're in doubt don't get them. Should be made in France. The name Sabatier was never copyrited by the company so be really careful. Buy them only from somwhere you trust. Basically annyone can make a knife and plonk the Sabatier name on it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Wusthof for me if money's no object.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Mackyboy

Hi,

Can any body tell me where i can get the Ron Thompson filleting set, here in Ireland

Many Thanks
    MB

Ask Baumanns to get a kit for you

4 Old Dublin Road, Stillorgan, Co. Dublin, Ireland
    T: 01 288 4021 F: 01 288 1637

They stock single filleting knives...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Mackyboy

Minder wrote: »
    Ask Baumanns to get a kit for you

4 Old Dublin Road, Stillorgan, Co. Dublin, Ireland
    T: 01 288 4021 F: 01 288 1637

They stock single filleting knives...

Cheers, I'll try that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hungrylad

We use Victornox in our kitchen, wusthof's , i find are using a very hard steel for their blades making sharpening challenging, i would buy a set of victirnox and replace every year or so, should pick up a full set for hundred quid.

I've been working in kitchens for years and this is what 99% of chefs use, globals being too delicate and wusthof's too expensive and hard to keep sharp.

although, the wusthof steels are far and away the best ones.

other kitchen utensils, peelers etc, we have tried and tested many and oxo keeps reigning king, for comfort and ease of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I hvae tried all types of knives but i think Wusthof are the best......They are all i use.
    Its a very personal thing of course....everyone has their favourite.

Oh and you dont need a set....
    A bread knife
    A cooks knife 8or10"
    A filleting Knife
    A turning Knife
    A sharpening steel

You could buy from this crowed http://www.nisbets.ie/products/ProductList.asp?TopGroupCode=C2&ParentGroupCode=S27&GroupCode=126 or try Sweeny o Rourke on Pearce street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I've been using the same set of Wusthof Gourmet Summet series for about 4 years now and I wouldn't dream of buying another brand when I have to replace them. I think they are branded Wusthof Cordon Blu now, great knives.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Analon make really nice knives. Comfortable rubber handle, great balance and weight and lasting edge, easy to sharpen.

BT sometimes have amazing deals on sets of these!

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

If you buy a nice set of knives,
    you need a nice sharpening stone.

Most knife sets come with a honer,
    it's not for keeping knives sharp,
    it's for after-sharpening, deburring the cutting edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭chefwes

hey milmo being a chef i would recommend wusthof they are reasonably priced and are brilliant knives i also have globals but i always go back to me wusthof also check out victorinox they are cheaper but still a good knife if your in dublin id go to sweeney-orourke in pearse street they are really good value hope i could help

Advertisement