Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

terrible Q6600 performance

• 09-09-2007 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Just installed my q6600 and this has to be the hardest chip to ever overclock. I have tried 1333 ( 3ghz ) on stock volts, boots to vista screen, then hangs. Now im at 1200 ( 2.7ghz ) with stock voltage, and the performance is absolutly terrible. super pi 1m has gone from 11/12sec to 18/19 seconds And thats only when pi decides to run. Probably a vista problem.

I cannot get coretemp working at all, it throws up a cannot load driver error, and i cant find a way to fix it.

3dmark06 keeps throwing up nvidia driver errors. but from what i seen im getting a 10fps hit on the opening scene. From 85/90fps to 75/80fps.

Anyone got any tips on how i can raise performance, or im going to sell this chip on ebay. I have tried a few times now, and 2.7 on stock volts seems the highest i can boot :o

What am i doing wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

o3ljrrylhb0efq0r6l9j.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

Hmm they are odd problems... About the coretemp issue, I have heard coretemp does not work very well on 64 bit OSes. Are you using 64bit?

I'm not sure if it's the Quad. If you want I can post up my Quad's stable OC settings, although mine is not a B3.

Seeing as I have a Q6600 I though it was my duty to respond, even though i'm not much help:rolleyes: Let me know if you want me to share any of my settings though. I can do that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

only got my quad (b3 like yours) up & running on fri, so i cant really comment.

Are ya sure you've got the very latest version of core temp ie, 0.95.4. here

My pi times are about 18 seconds @ stock

Didn't get a great oc on mine either, but thats because of the 975 chipset in my mobo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I was about to ask the 64bit question aswell I had a few programs like that not work for me on 64bit especially 3DMARK06

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Well you need to get some real temps for a start.
    If I had to pick a component that might be the problem I'd point at the mobo, you really need a P35 to do anything interesting with a quad, and that abit isn't a great board for overclocking anyway. High quality vreg is mucho important for QC overclocking and I don't think the board can cut the mustard. Having said that I would have thought that you'd get a stable 3ghz with nearly any board/cpu combo so IDK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Anti wrote:
    Hey guys,

I cannot get coretemp working at all, it throws up a cannot load driver error, and i cant find a way to fix it.

What am i doing wrong?

how about googling :coretemp vista

first link is : http://www.alcpu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=211

Hendrix89 wrote:
    Hmm they are odd problems... About the coretemp issue, I have heard coretemp does not work very well on 64 bit OSes. Are you using 64bit?

I'm not sure if it's the Quad. If you want I can post up my Quad's stable OC settings, although mine is not a B3.

Seeing as I have a Q6600 I though it was my duty to respond, even though i'm not much help:rolleyes: Let me know if you want me to share any of my settings though. I can do that!

Yes, please do :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Anti wrote:
    Hey guys,

Just installed my q6600 and this has to be the hardest chip to ever overclock. I have tried 1333 ( 3ghz ) on stock volts, boots to vista screen, then hangs. Now im at 1200 ( 2.7ghz ) with stock voltage, and the performance is absolutly terrible. super pi 1m has gone from 11/12sec to 18/19 seconds And thats only when pi decides to run. Probably a vista problem.

3dmark06 keeps throwing up nvidia driver errors. but from what i seen im getting a 10fps hit on the opening scene. From 85/90fps to 75/80fps.

Anyone got any tips on how i can raise performance, or im going to sell this chip on ebay. I have tried a few times now, and 2.7 on stock volts seems the highest i can boot :o

What am i doing wrong?

Have the B3 setting and hit 3 Ghz with ease. You should be well able to clock it to 3 Ghz.

What settings did you disable in the bios?

Nothing really, i put the volts to 1.4 now and im at 2812mhz left the ram alone. only disabled onboard sound. I know this board is a good overclockers, as it gets my e6600 to 3.8ghz with ease. Also there is no newer bios.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

Firstly these are my current stable settings. Note the VID of my chip in coretemp and compare it with yours. I know ct doesnt work for you but if you can find other programs that can get it and check it out.
    http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j312/rHy0/3.4cpuz.jpg

In my experience OCing this thing I have found that, for some reason, a 9 multi with a lower FSB allows for lower vcore. Best thing is to stick with the 9 multi.

This is an earlier stable OC at a slightly lower 3.33GHz.
    http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j312/rHy0/8hrpass.jpg

Oh and 1:1 ratio works wonders so make sure you stick with that if you can. I havent moved from it.

Haven't done much else, not seen in the software above, in the BIOS.

And also I have to agree with nibble on the benefit of P35 boards when it comes to the Quads. They really proove an advantage. It might be worth getting one. I'd say the costs gone down too.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

its most likly ur mobo then ur chip.old and cheap boards just dont work for quads (also look at phog's result).i say ur best off getting a p35 or x38 when there out.

Thanks for the info guys, I tried messing around with the chip a bit last night, and i noticed that if i go above 1.4v then the pc will not boot at all. Weird :o

The highest i can get is 2.812ghz, with a fsb of 312.5. Anything higher then this will fail to boot. So for now i think im going to throw back in my dual core, and wait for a x38 for my quad.

Right, im not sure if this chip is multi locked, but im gonna try the 6 multi with a stupidly high fsb. see if i can get around this somehow.

will take pics of settings in bios when i get home too. See if i have messed something up some how :o

nope a q6600 is not unlocked.all xtream chips are unlocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Hey awhir, my Aw9d-Max is not a cheap mobo, its just that its an older chipset (975) that hinders the overclock. This chipset was never intended for use with a quad, or even a c2d for that matter. The AW9D-MAX uses a 4-phase power design for voltage regulation. The memory controller cant handle a quad. I've mine running @ 310fsb on stock volts, but cant even tighten ram timings as its not able to handle it.

AFAIK u can use a lower multi on certain bioses, but not a higher as its locked upwards by Intel & it is definitely locked on a q6600.

Here is a screenie of pi and cpu-z. This is the maximum stable i have been able to get so far. I will upload pics of the bios in a few mins:

9u98cekqmcyxf29vgmcu.jpg

Bios screenshots:

mw5hn98h2ue30cs2nt55.jpg

dd3126aklu2uhcd5oka5.jpg

8h9enpgqedr7wjomil1w.jpg

6i1jite52wqzi0q47et1.jpg

av4jmcwg30abwvhzx245.jpg

pyw26fezd5sv1ovb2u0v.jpg

k61sbbty2twrb5tu8roe.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Anti, forgot to post up my settings for you. It'll be tomorrow I'm afraid.
    PogMoThoin wrote:
    Didn't get a great oc on mine either, but thats because of the 975 chipset in my mobo

For what it's worth: I have a 975X chipset and my Q6600 runs at 3.0GHz for everyday use.

I tried running in linked mode last night with the lowest multiplyer but still no luck. I even went up to 1.6v on the cpu and 1.5 on the nb but still nothing. I have a molex connector on the board, which is meant to aid in overclocking by suplying more voltage to the board, will try that tonight. And hopefully ill get a bit of luck. I would be happy with 3ghz, but anything below is a real dissapointment :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭WillieDH

Hi Anti

I have the same CPU and Mobo, I might try your settings on mine and see how I get on, at the weekend.

• Advertisement

Cool, let me know how you get on.

Anti wrote:
    I tried running in linked mode last night with the lowest multiplyer but still no luck. I even went up to 1.6v on the cpu and 1.5 on the nb but still nothing. I have a molex connector on the board, which is meant to aid in overclocking by suplying more voltage to the board, will try that tonight. And hopefully ill get a bit of luck. I would be happy with 3ghz, but anything below is a real dissapointment :(

i would advice you putting in the molex in that would be to stabilize the voltage under heavey load...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭unseen

Hi anti :)

Can you tell me what motherboard,what memories you have, what cooling and what psu?

he has a :

motherboard:Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9
    memories:4GB Geil black dragon ddr2 @ 950Mhz 5-5-5-4-15 1.95v
    cooling:TR Ultra Extreme 120 w/ Scythe S-flex 1600rpm
    psu:Corsair HX620

What he said :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭unseen

Hmm ok.

With nvidia chipsets i had some problems with the fsb too. I have tested evga i680 and i couldnt pass 290 fsb with my quad. Keep in mind that evga replace for free the motherboards to users who had quads for this reason.
    http://evga.com/support/680i_fsb.asp

Just to be sure that it is a mobo issue try to boot with 7x300. If it boots and it is stable there then we will look together the other options. Keep memories unlinked with 2T. Also set "nb pciex 16x clock" to 100 for now.

I found a modded bios here - > http://www.area3d.ch/forum/showthread.php?p=19650 but try it at your own risk.
    Also some vmods and review which maybe helps here -> http://www.vr-zone.com/articles/Abit_Fatal1ty_FP-IN9_SLI_650i_Motherboard/4874-10.html

Cool. Thanks for the info man. I will give it a go as soon as i get home and i will let you know:)

Didn't get a chance to try any of the above last night. Got stuck into a dungeon in wow ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Anti wrote:
    Didn't get a chance to try any of the above last night. Got stuck into a dungeon in wow ;)
    Oh man WoW, now that's a nerdy game, at least FPS are kinda manly:p .
    I still think it's the board holding you back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

pop into my board at gamecon and you can check if its that , ive a abit ip35

Advertisement