Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PES 2008 info?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

I think the Xbox Pro Evo lovers might be a little outnumbered lads. It has it's qualities but PES6 on it isn't one of them I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

I've played every incarnation of this great series since the days on the snes,

Including every Winning Eleven import,

And the Xbox 360 version of PES6 (which I bought) is one of the worst.

It is MILES better on the PC and PS2,

I will probably go for PES2008 on PC and PS3 and skip the 360 version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Oman

NeoKubrick wrote:
    I couldn't care less if everyone in this forum said they preferred PES6 on the PS2. The Xbox 360 version is better, gameplay-wise, and the fact that Konami are building upon the Xbox 360 build, and not the PS2 PES6 build proves which version Seabass & Co. think is better.
    double aggreed

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

At the end of the day, if your happy with the one u have, then your happy and that's all that matters!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

I have both and there both good in their own ways, both have good pro evo gameplay, but slightly different from each other, the xbox 360 takes more passing and so on to score, I think if you just play one of them solidly then you'll grow to prefer that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

PC version is the best. The XBox version is too slow and is a less skillful game. Passes go astray all the time. It's much more difficult to really take control of your defender and properly defend, the computer tries to do it for you, and hence it gets ****ed up.
    I've played a lot on all three consoles, all pvp so don't care about any edit mode issue, and the 360 is the slowest most boring version. Hopefully, and from what I've seen and read, this will be fixed in the next version, cause the Live aspect is really incredible.

Oh yeh, don't even get me ****ing started on the controller, jesus christ, make a ****ing working d-pad. You can't control anywhere near as well with a stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

PHB wrote:
    PC version is the best. The XBox version is too slow and is a less skillful game. Passes go astray all the time. It's much more difficult to really take control of your defender and properly defend, the computer tries to do it for you, and hence it gets ****ed up.
    I've played a lot on all three consoles, all pvp so don't care about any edit mode issue, and the 360 is the slowest most boring version. Hopefully, and from what I've seen and read, this will be fixed in the next version, cause the Live aspect is really incredible.

Oh yeh, don't even get me ****ing started on the controller, jesus christ, make a ****ing working d-pad. You can't control anywhere near as well with a stick.
    As I've said, Xbox 360 version isn't slow. It's slow in comparison to the pace of the arcade PES6 version on the PS2 and PC. Passes don't go astray all the time; so, I don't know where you got that from. I can take control of my defender easily. Basically, you're crap at the Xbox 360 version and you blame the game, right? Right.

Oh, and the stick is fine to play with.

NeoKubrick wrote:
    As I've said, Xbox 360 version isn't slow. It's slow in comparison to the pace of the arcade PES6 version on the PS2 and PC. Passes don't go astray all the time; so, I don't know where you got that from. I can take control of my defender easily. Basically, you're crap at the Xbox 360 version and you blame the game, right? Right.

"Arcade PES6 version on the PS2 and PC"

Hahaha,

What a ridiculous comment

WellyJ wrote:

Hahaha,

If you think that the gameplay in the PS2 and PC versions of PES6 is football, you obviously don't watch football. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

NeoKubrick wrote:

PHB is a freak and plays with the D pad, dunno how but does and hes actually quite good at it, online and offline, sober/pissed

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaCL wrote:
    PHB is a freak and plays with the D pad, dunno how but does and hes actually quite good at it, online and offline, sober/pissed

kdjac
    The D-pad is the preferred choice among the top players and Seabass, but I think that's due to the accuracy of the d-pad on the PS2 controller and the utter crap analogue sticks on said controller. There's quicker reactions with the sticks, though, as you don't have to shift your weight (as you have to press down the d-pad); you just move your thumb in the desired direction.

Both have their faults, but I prefer the analogue stick, because I play on the Xbox 360 and the placement of the analogue stick on the controller is perfect.

WellyJ wrote:

Hahaha,

i'm begining to think that wellyj is a bit of a freak

You mean there is an actual REAL SPORT and this is only a game depicting it????

WTF

Oman wrote:
    i'm begining to think that wellyj is a bit of a freak

I'm just getting tired of this argument,

Its complete bull**** to be honest,

Only an idiot can say that the 360 version plays better.

I have played the three of them extensively, and the PS2 version plays more like real football, and the PC is virtually identical, but much better looking.

Making it the best version.

How can you say that a rushed lazy port is better than the other versions is beyond me.

Anyhow, all signs are pointing to the ps3/x360/pc versions being identical this year so who gives a fúck

As I've said, Xbox 360 version isn't slow. It's slow in comparison to the pace of the arcade PES6 version on the PS2 and PC.

It's slow in comparison to nearly all the previous PES6, WIE, and even the old ISS. It's a very very slow version of the game. It's slow in relation to everything
    Passes don't go astray all the time; so, I don't know where you got that from. I can take control of my defender easily. Basically, you're crap at the Xbox 360 version and you blame the game, right? Right.

Actually, I'm probably better with the 360 version. However, I do think the 360 version is for people who are less skilled at the game. It is more random. The passes go astray often. The defenders often do stupid things. You can take control, but often the defenders will go in the opposite directions for absolutely no reasons, and the button to get your other defenders to pressure makes your other defenders act like utter retards. The game becomes more about chance than skill.

The stick is fine to play with, I learnt how, but it still utterly sucks in comparision to the d-pad. I think the stick is slower, as you have to move the stick all the way from one side to the other, while the d-pad is dependent on the speed of your fingers, which is much much quicker.

Everything I've read about PES2008 makes it sound like the gameplay and style is going to be based on the PC style. This has always been the style of play of the PES, bar the odd mistakes. It might use an XBox build, but that's much more likely a coding decision more than anything else.

Im alt tabbing from my league to read boards and watch football, does that mean PC wins?

kdjac

PHB wrote:
    Actually, I'm probably better with the 360 version. However, I do think the 360 version is for people who are less skilled at the game. It is more random. The passes go astray often. The defenders often do stupid things. You can take control, but often the defenders will go in the opposite directions for absolutely no reasons, and the button to get your other defenders to pressure makes your other defenders act like utter retards. The game becomes more about chance than skill.

The stick is fine to play with, I learnt how, but it still utterly sucks in comparision to the d-pad. I think the stick is slower, as you have to move the stick all the way from one side to the other, while the d-pad is dependent on the speed of your fingers, which is much much quicker.

Everything I've read about PES2008 makes it sound like the gameplay and style is going to be based on the PC style. This has always been the style of play of the PES, bar the odd mistakes. It might use an XBox build, but that's much more likely a coding decision more than anything else.

Have you played the PS2 and PC versions? It's a run and bugshoot game. Those versions of the game don't take skill. You can practically score from thirty-yards half of the time with a good player; whereas, you can't with the Xbox 360 version - only on the rare occasion you have time and space.

My passes hardly go astray, at all. If you're attempting to make the type of arcade and unrealistic passes as you do often in PS2 and PC version, then I can see why your passes go "astray". Position your players better.

If your defenders are doing stupid things, then it doesn't take a genius to figure out why. The AI on the Xbox 360 version is vastly superior to the PC and PS2 versions; so, you can't blame the game. And over-use of the 'X' pressure is only good in certain situations. If you're using it all the time, then there's your problem.

You're making the assumption that a player won't have his thumb pressed down on the D-pad, but every player will, the majority of the time, have the d-pad pressed down in order to move. The analogue with always be quicker, because you don't have to shift the weight of your thumb as you do when switching from left to right (right to left etc.) on the D-pad. There's more accuracy with the d-pad, in my opinion, though.

WellyJ wrote:
    Anyhow, all signs are pointing to the ps3/x360/pc versions being identical this year so who gives a fúck
    thats the smartest thing you've ever said and no one was here to hear it

NeoKubrick wrote:
    Have you played the PS2 and PC versions? It's a run and bugshoot game. Those versions of the game don't take skill. You can practically score from thirty-yards half of the time with a good player; whereas, you can't with the Xbox 360 version - only on the rare occasion you have time and space.

http://ie.youtube.com/profile?user=kdjac

Take your pic of cracking goals with **** players, they sure do make nonsense of your point.

Eircom league option file which in PES terms means that Lorient are better than all of the EL teams, all the goals above scored on highest level except the boys 1st.

Run and bug shoot..wtf earn your damn free shot on goal by holding onto the ball and getting a player into space.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    http://ie.youtube.com/profile?user=kdjac

Take your pic of cracking goals with **** players, they sure do make nonsense of your point.

Eircom league option file which in PES terms means that Lorient are better than all of the EL teams, all the goals above scored on highest level except the boys 1st.

Run and bug shoot..wtf earn your damn free shot on goal by holding onto the ball and getting a player into space.

kdjac

Why did you prove my point about the PS2 and PC version taking no skill at all by showing someone score from outside the box so easily...

Seriously...

• Advertisement

NeoKubrick wrote:
    Why did you prove my point about the PS2 and PC version taking no skill at all by showing someone score from outside the box so easily...

Seriously...

You said "thirty-yards half of the time with a good player" So are Eircom league players good now, who do you support? :p

Ndo is Pats best player with a massive 64 as his highest stat :eek:

So its either no skill to score from 30 yards with good players or no skill to score from 30 yards with bad players, which means scoring from 30 yards requires no skill.

Suppose then the best goals are online where you get to the byline pull it back and crack one in from 4 yards?
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=GsNAZdBKfNM

my fav is 30 seconds in typical no skill 30 yarder.....

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    You said "thirty-yards half of the time with a good player" So are Eircom league players good now, who do you support? :p

Ndo is Pats best player with a massive 64 as his highest stat :eek:

So its either no skill to score from 30 yards with good players or no skill to score from 30 yards with bad players, which means scoring from 30 yards requires no skill.

Suppose then the best goals are online where you get to the byline pull it back and crack one in from 4 yards?
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=GsNAZdBKfNM

my fav is 30 seconds in typical no skill 30 yarder.....

kdjac
    Well, you've proved my point that it takes no skill to score in the PC and PS2 version by showing a player with **** statistics score from outside the box. You'd rarely see that happen in the Xbox 360 version even with the best players, and that's how it should be.

The best goals are those that have the best build-up play: neat one-two's, slick passing, and smart movement. It all depends on the build-up play if I'm going to laud a goal scored from a tap-in or a long-range shot etc. But, honestly, a tap-in suggests (at least on the Xbox 360 where it's harder to play a cut-back formation) that you worked your way around your opponent's defence; whereas with a long range shot, you just lined yourself up and took a shot.

I'd be interested to know where you find the skill in long-range shots in a computer game? They look spectacular, but that's about it. It takes little technique and guile to score those.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I'm tempted to throw up a vid I have from the 360 version. It's a 35 yard screamer from Cisse. I believe that's outside the box, right?

I'm tempted to throw up a vid I have from the 360 version. It's a 35 yard screamer from Cisse. I believe that's outside the box, right?
    :rolleyes:

Who said you can't score from outside of the box on the Xbox 360 version, pedant?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

Yeah, your bein silly, it is a lot easier to score on the ps2 FACT! Some people like it, some don't, its a stupid argument cause faults about both games are just being way exaggerated because people are trying to win arguments. As for the stick, I prefer it for long balls due to accruracy and the analog stick is a lot better on the 360, but the D-Pad is way better on the PS, and I prefer the D-pad for dribbling.
    Both versions are good, really they are! I think we can all agree that all versions (ever) are better than any FIFA! ;)

You can score from 30 yards all the time with all the players, it's just about good timing. Infact, I do it all the time on the XBox and the players I've played against do it too.
    My passes hardly go astray, at all. If you're attempting to make the type of arcade and unrealistic passes as you do often in PS2 and PC version, then I can see why your passes go "astray".

Nope, I'm attempting to make the kind of passes that football players actually make, and the passes you will be allowed make in the next game. The XBox has dodgy AI in terms of player positioning.
    If your defenders are doing stupid things, then it doesn't take a genius to figure out why. The AI on the Xbox 360 version is vastly superior to the PC and PS2 versions; so, you can't blame the game.

It is? Says who? The players position themselves stupidly all the time in the XBox game.
    You're making the assumption that a player won't have his thumb pressed down on the D-pad, but every player will, the majority of the time, have the d-pad pressed down in order to move. The analogue with always be quicker, because you don't have to shift the weight of your thumb as you do when switching from left to right (right to left etc.) on the D-pad. There's more accuracy with the d-pad, in my opinion, though.

You don't have to shift the weight of your thumb? How exactly do you move the stick then? Magical mind powers?

As for your advice?
    Position your players better.
    And over-use of the 'X' pressure is only good in certain situations. If you're using it all the time, then there's your problem.

Reigning boards champion and whathave :P That was with Serbia aswell too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

D-PAD for life

i havnt not played a local game of pro evo against a stick merchant

I believe the PS2 version plays far superior to the 360 version, i find the 360 version riddled with wierdness and doesnt feel like a pro evo.

ive played every version bar the PC version which i only just recieved the usb controller converter so i plan on getting 2008 for my pc and playing thus there

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

WellyJ wrote:

Its complete bull**** to be honest,

Only an idiot can say that the 360 version plays better.

I have played the three of them extensively, and the PS2 version plays more like real football, and the PC is virtually identical, but much better looking.

posts like the above really piss me off

im an idiot cos i think one version of a game is better than another?

catch a grip

anyway, this thread was supposed to be about info for the game, not petty squabbling

PHB wrote:
    You can score from 30 yards all the time with all the players, it's just about good timing. Infact, I do it all the time on the XBox and the players I've played against do it too.

Nope, I'm attempting to make the kind of passes that football players actually make, and the passes you will be allowed make in the next game. The XBox has dodgy AI in terms of player positioning.

It is? Says who? The players position themselves stupidly all the time in the XBox game.

You don't have to shift the weight of your thumb? How exactly do you move the stick then? Magical mind powers?

Well, with good timing you can do a bicycle-kick or anything else, but it doesn't mean that it happens all the time or you can do it on cue. It's rare. I've played more than a thousand games on Xbox Live on PES6, and I've rarely seen a goal scored from the thirty-yard range, let alone "all the time".

It's common knowledge that the AI was improved for the Xbox 360 version, but as my lecturer says, "Computers are stupid, and can't preclude human error in any application". If your players are in stupid positions, then it's either your fault or part of the complex statistics (positioning star, stamina, mentality) which govern players.

And there's this thing call 'friction'. When you use a 'D-pad', you have to press the direction you want to go. For the majority of the game, you'll have the 'D-pad' pressed down. So, if you want to move in another direction, you'll have to shift the weight of your thumb, and drag it across with you. That's called 'friction'. With the analogue stick, it's on an axis: you don't have it pressed down. You only have to move your thumb. Less friction; more speed.

PHB wrote:
    As for your advice?

Reigning boards champion and whathave :P That was with Serbia aswell too :)

Champion on what format? If your defenders aren't doing what you've instructed them to do, then you're doing something wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

Scored plenty of goals on Live from 30 yards.

Advertisement